Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read just about every thread on the internet about jacking points and I have the pre-lp owners manual. I dont trust the front corner points for a few reasons. At least not for crawling under the car, that is. The manual points to a very specific section as the jacking point, but its impossible to get it raised and get a jack stand under it. I believe the support is the yellow diagonal beam in the below diagram, but since I cant see it I dont know for sure. The manual also shows red areas up front, which as far as I can tell are nothing. They're located right where the wheel well should be, so I really dont like going off of this. Right now I have the car on 4 jack stands with wheel cribs under the tires. Wouldnt feel good about it without them.

When I took out the front trunk liner I noticed a crossmember that could be accessed from below if you were to remove the front air dam. Photos below. Anybody know if this can function as a lift point?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
For the rear I use the center of the cross member, where the manual says.

I’ve never lifted the front yet. Have you tried using the front lift suspension of the car, should give you enough room, if your car has front suspension lift.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I used a small 2-ton jack and found that was easiest. It has a smaller footprint than the 3-ton jack, so it allows you to get a jack stand closer to the points in the manual. Just wish there was a center point.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've read just about every thread on the internet about jacking points and I have the pre-lp owners manual. I dont trust the front corner points for a few reasons. At least not for crawling under the car, that is. The manual points to a very specific section as the jacking point, but its impossible to get it raised and get a jack stand under it. I believe the support is the yellow diagonal beam in the below diagram, but since I cant see it I dont know for sure. The manual also shows red areas up front, which as far as I can tell are nothing. They're located right where the wheel well should be, so I really dont like going off of this. Right now I have the car on 4 jack stands with wheel cribs under the tires. Wouldnt feel good about it without them.

When I took out the front trunk liner I noticed a crossmember that could be accessed from below if you were to remove the front air dam. Photos below. Anybody know if this can function as a lift point?

View attachment 294471 View attachment 294472
God NO NO NO!
That front crossmember is really just a battery support panel.
Only lift in the RED colour or in the middle of the rear crossmember.
You will need to get some low profile wheel ramps or a low profile trolley jack.
I have two jacks, one at each front lift point, and jack the car up bit by bit placing ramps or blocks of wood under the tyres to lower back down onto.
If you want to get serious, buy a Quick Jack lifting system that slides under the car and lifts the entire car around two feet high.
The only problem, as you can see from your picture is the rear lift points dont line up properly but you get close enough and I have used it many times without issue and there are many on You Tube who use them on Gallardo's and have no issues.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I can tell its the exact same material and thickness as the rear crossmember. That above diagram is super inaccurate, which is my problem. The red does not correspond to anything. The diagonal yellow beam near the front red area is where the wheel well begins. You're supposed to put the jack stands there, but I still dont put much weight in anything in that manual. On the exact same page as that diagram are two photos which are labeled incorrectly. Hell, even the owners manual has errors like this. It recommends a weight of transmission fluid which doesnt actually exist.

I have 4 jacks, so raising it isnt a problem, its trusting it. Also, the rear corner jack points have nothing under them. I removed the steel sheet to gain access to what was above it, and that circle has empty space on the other side. There are a few beams similar to the battery support and rear crossmember running around it, but thats it. Really not sure what they were thinking when they designed the jacking points for this car. Almost like they were an afterthought. Probably just going to buy wheel cribs and use those with some backup jack stands. Looking forward to eventually getting a 2-post. At least if it falls off the 2-post I can run out from under it.

Reactions: Plumber

·
Registered
2013 LP560 TT
190 Posts
At least some versions of the service manual correctly illustrate the jack points but incorrectly label front and rear — they literally have it backwards.
The rear are the circle areas and the front are the two diagonal cross members behind the front wheels.
I’ve had mine up and down on my lift a bunch lately and they work well.
Also, you can use the rear cross member just in front of where the trans hangs. This is great for a small trolley jack to lift the rear only.

·
Registered
2013 LP560 TT
190 Posts
Looking forward to eventually getting a 2-post. At least if it falls off the 2-post I can run out from under it.
If you like playing with cars then there is no better tool on the garage than a 2 post lift. Try to get an asymmetric if possible.
Even a mid rise / portable is a huge step up over the trolley jack / jack stand option.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Looking forward to eventually getting a 2-post. At least if it falls off the 2-post I can run out from under it.
[/QUOTE]

:LOL::LOL::LOL: You're so funny.
You obviously have never used a hoist?
Although hoists are generally safe you wont be running anywhere if your car "falls" off the hoist.
:oops::oops::oops:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

:LOL::LOL::LOL: You're so funny.
You obviously have never used a hoist?
Although hoists are generally safe you wont be running anywhere if your car "falls" off the hoist.
:oops::oops::oops:
I used to work at a performance shop. Used quite a lot of them. I think if you have a car on a lift you have a better chance of getting out from under it as opposed to jack stands. With jack stands you've got about 6 inches between your face and the car. At least on a lift you've got a lot more room to run. Lol. We nearly had a car fall off of a lift once when a guy forgot to compensate for the weight loss of removing the engine from a car. Had it teetering a bit.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I used to work at a performance shop. Used quite a lot of them. I think if you have a car on a lift you have a better chance of getting out from under it as opposed to jack stands. With jack stands you've got about 6 inches between your face and the car. At least on a lift you've got a lot more room to run. Lol. We nearly had a car fall off of a lift once when a guy forgot to compensate for the weight loss of removing the engine from a car. Had it teetering a bit.
Would take a pretty big earth quake to move a car off stands but I have run out from under a hoist in an earthquake and that's not fun at all.
So, why GoatPuncher?
I could say all sorts of meanings for that but this is a family forum, lol.

·
Registered
2013 LP560 TT
190 Posts
Had it happen to me dropping a trans on an RV when I was a high school kid helping out at a repair shop. And yes I had the fortune of diving out of the way before it came down. Wouldn’t have had time / space if it were just on jack stands.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Following. I have been doing the same as far as research. Seems like ill begrudgingly be buying a quick jack system because everything else seems pretty awful and I cant fit a two post.

·
Registered
2013 LP560 TT
190 Posts
Following. I have been doing the same as far as research. Seems like ill begrudgingly be buying a quick jack system because everything else seems pretty awful and I cant fit a two post.
Unfortunately the quick jack is only useful for a fraction of things you’d do on a Gallardo (like wheels / brakes). The biggest issue I would caution on is that you won’t be able to remove any of the panels underneath to access the mechanicals. In other words, I don’t foresee you being able to do oil changes etc. with the jack blocking your ability to remove the plates.
There are a number of good options for small/low height 2 post lifts. I think they would be far superior to a quick jack. It should be under us$2k.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Shoot, I had this feeling but now its confirmed. Glad you mentioned something before I went and wasted the money. Guess ill look into low lift 2 post lifts and up my already blown budget 😭

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Shoot, I had this feeling but now its confirmed. Glad you mentioned something before I went and wasted the money. Guess ill look into low lift 2 post lifts and up my already blown budget 😭
FYI, Many cities have businesses that have auto lifts and tools crib that are for rent. I imagine you can rent them by the hour. Worth looking into.

·
Registered
2013 LP560 TT
190 Posts
Maybe ask around if there are alternative portable type jacks / lifts that are Gallardo friendly? I’m certainly no expert on this.

Given the price of service I don’t know of a better way to spend 2k than on a lift though.

Now if only I could justify buying a LARA for myself ...

·
Registered
89 Posts
FYI, Many cities have businesses that have auto lifts and tools crib that are for rent. I imagine you can rent them by the hour. Worth looking into.
There are a few around here. None that I'd want to wrench on my lambo in. Maybe thats a market I need to fill lol. 🤔

Maybe ask around if there are alternative portable type jacks / lifts that are Gallardo friendly? I’m certainly no expert on this.

Given the price of service I don’t know of a better way to spend 2k than on a lift though.

Now if only I could justify buying a LARA for myself ...
I agree. Lara for personal use would be amazing. Heck even if you just did clutch snaps for 20 bucks a pop or something lol.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Just go to harbor freight and buy more jacks.

There are so many instances where having multiple jacks is a lifesaver. I have three 3-ton jacks and one 2-ton jack. I can very easily lift the car and get it on jack stands in just a few minutes. I just go around the car pumping them all up a little bit making sure its equal. Takes maybe 15 minutes to get it a foot off the ground and on stands. Multiple jacks are also great for holding stuff. I just changed an alternator and used the 2-ton jack under the car to hold it up while I got the bolts in. They're only $100 and theyll last you literally forever if you maintain them.

2 posts are a pain to install mainly because your slab probably isnt strong enough. Most people just buy them, bolt them down, and dont think anything of it, but I'd never do that. You need a 4.5in 3000psi slab at the minimum if you want it to be safely secured, and most residential garages dont have that. Means your $1500 - $2500 lift suddenly costs $5k after having to cut and repour part of your slab. I've decided I'm going to build a detached garage because otherwise it isnt worth all the trouble and cost. In the plans I'll have two 4-posts, an empty bay, and a single 2-post. If your land allows it, its a great option. Crazy cheap what a detached garage costs.

I dont really "get" the quickjack. It costs the same as a 2-post but has the utility of jackstands. You can buy 4 jacks and 4 jack stands for ~$550 and have saved nearly $1000. Same exact effect. Unless you're charging for your time, the difference in speed is immaterial.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts