Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Gallardo Spyder LP 560-4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you look at my Avatar, you will see my 2011 Gallardo Spyder LP 560-4 with both of its doors fully opened. The doors do not appear to fully open. I watched YouTube videos of other similar Gallardos and their doors do fully open. This is the farthest they will open. I am afraid to try to forcefully open the doors any wider because I do not want to ruin anything and regret it, but it feels like the doors will not open any wider.

Has anyone else experienced this?
AA9F770C-D3E2-4285-8693-CB67750D61E8.jpeg

·
Registered
224 Posts
Are you the original owner, perhaps a prior owner installed scissor doors hinges; do they raise up from that position? Believe scissor door open out about that amount and then fold upward from there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you the original owner, perhaps a prior owner installed scissor doors hinges; do they raise up from that position? Believe scissor door open out about that amount and then fold upward from there.
I am not the original owner. No - the doors do not move upward.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can you take a pic of the inside door hinges? There is a black bar in the middle that has a stop but it should be farther out.
Maybe the previous owner put a limit on it for some odd reason.
Would just have to take off the panel and inspect it or maybe it can be taken apart from outside. I will look at one in the shop and get back to you.

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
281 Posts
Did you figure this out? Tomaso's theory makes the most sense (other than maybe they need some serious Lube). It looks like they stop at the first detent..... then they would open to the second detent, and then some more till they would stop a full open. Three positions if I'm remembering correctly. When mine is in the garage, once I go past the first detent I run the risk of smacking some shelving. It's tough to get out of it at that point so I have to be very careful going past it as it will never make it to the second one (detent).

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Did you figure this out? Tomaso's theory makes the most sense (other than maybe they need some serious Lube). It looks like they stop at the first detent..... then they would open to the second detent, and then some more till they would stop a full open. Three positions if I'm remembering correctly. When mine is in the garage, once I go past the first detent I run the risk of smacking some shelving. It's tough to get out of it at that point so I have to be very careful going past it as it will never make it to the second one (detent).
Two cars in a normal width garage restricts the door opening for sure. I have foam on the wall side to prevent door edge damage and a floor standing bumper on the other side between the cars to prevent door edge damage and door dings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Can you take a pic of the inside door hinges? There is a black bar in the middle that has a stop but it should be farther out.
Maybe the previous owner put a limit on it for some odd reason.
Would just have to take off the panel and inspect it or maybe it can be taken apart from outside. I will look at one in the shop and get back to you.
Thank you for your response. I am learning that this is a very supportive and informative chat room. I was out of town and just returned. Ok - so I took 6 pictures: there are 3 pictures of the left door when fully opened and 3 pictures of the right door when fully opened.

The car is a 2011 with 13k miles on it. I am the 4th owner. It is mechanically in great shape. It does not squeak or make any type of noise when I open and close each door. The doors do not go up. The CarFax report indicates no prior accidents or salvage, or any major or unusual work (except for a repair to the convertible top).

I thank everyone for their responses. I am planning to drive and keep this Lambo forever and want to keep it well-maintained throughout.
FB423794-EFCB-45E3-B5FE-1A5A84F08E14.jpeg
A31F1D57-A452-4A04-9DE0-7731C51BB961.jpeg
7DB59AFF-646A-4CDA-8835-F676E87913DA.jpeg
F4D9D711-1964-4F24-9DE1-BADAE0F72C3C.jpeg
90BA60C1-250D-4164-A9B2-CDA15E811ACC.jpeg
D9303602-56F9-4326-AA75-2AF5B8A54995.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Two cars in a normal width garage restricts the door opening for sure. I have foam on the wall side to prevent door edge damage and a floor standing bumper on the other side between the cars to prevent door edge damage and door dings.
Interesting theory!

What exactly is a floor standing bumper?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Looking at the last photo in detail I note the paint on detents on the door keeper at the base of the bottom hinge is chipped and dry. Mine has a white grease on those surfaces and opens smoothly between the three detent stops. Yours may have missed the greasing when the car was made. I think you should grease these and then work the door slowly open and shut and it might free-up.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
In the bottom pic is that the second “detent”? So there is a third behind it out of site? Can you post a pic of yours fully open from same angle?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking at the last photo in detail I note the paint on detents on the door keeper at the base of the bottom hinge is chipped and dry. Mine has a white grease on those surfaces and opens smoothly between the three detent stops. Yours may have missed the greasing when the car was made. I think you should grease these and then work the door slowly open and shut and it might free-up.
Is there a certain brand or type of grease that you can recommend?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In the bottom pic is that the second “detent”? So there is a third behind it out of site? Can you post a pic of yours fully open from same angle?
Yes that is the 2nd detent.

I am assuming there is a 3rd detent on mine — I will try greasing it to reveal it.

That pic I posted does depict my car doors fully open.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts