Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is one of the very first off the assembly line. Its one of those black cars with yellow calipers/yellow interior, which indicates its one of the first 150 (If I'm remembering correctly). Actual build number is #124. Its so early that I apparently have some "special" transmission where the parts arent compatible with anything else. I had to specially order a synchro from Graziano because Lamborghini couldnt supply it. Ratios and everything are slightly different than a regular 04.

I keep having to chase these trivial, but annoying problems that nobody else seems to experience. Usually when I find someone else who is having them, it turns out they also have an early build. Right now I'm trying to diagnose a timing chain tensioner. The problem I keep running into is that I have these issues which would take loads of time to properly diagnose, yet when googling and forum searching I cant find anybody else who has had a similar issue. The only thread I've been able to find where someone had a timing chain issue was in the murcielago forum. I like to use forums to get a rough idea of where to start looking before I tear the car apart, but thats difficult with an early build.

Does anyone know common issues with early cars off the top of their head?

·
Registered
211 Posts
04/05 cars were known for a faulty run of connecting rods. There was also a gear in the power steering rack that was more prone to strip in the 04/05 cars as well…but thats an inexpensive fix fortunately

·
Registered
808 Posts
My car had an electrical issue that fried a computer that Lambo Dallas was able to find and they said it wasn't listed correctly in the shop manual. They fixed it for a very reasonable price less than $2k. Mine is 1207 so a later build than yours.

04/05 cars were known for a faulty run of connecting rods. There was also a gear in the power steering rack that was more prone to strip in the 04/05 cars as well…but thats an inexpensive fix fortunately
My 2004 has 65k miles and no engine issues, there was a power steering system recall that my car had done years ago which added a cooler and replaced most the system but I do not know if the rack was replaced too.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
From my factory tech,
"The pumps are in the tank, but they have a lid where the lines pass through the tank. They develop cracks there. Pretty serious fire risk. LP’s eventually leak at the high pressure pumps by the valve covers."
Also E Gear hydraulic lines leaking. Both issues extreme fire risk.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'll add a few I've dealt with so far.

Like rob said, power steering recall. Its not only the earl cars, but it includes them. Make sure youve had it done.

3rd brake light malfunction. I now get a "THIRD BRAKE WARNING" every time i start the car. I guess it wasnt waterproofed correctly early on. Cant find anyone else with this.

Early cars have "special" transmissions, like I said. Effectively its the same, but dims are different enough that you arent able to swap internals with any other model year. This means if you order parts from Lamborghini, they wont fit. You have to go through Graziano directly, which SUCKS. Your ratios are also a bit different than regular 04 cars. On month 3 of waiting for a synchro. I wouldve been better off buying a used trans off of ebay.

Whether this is early build or not, my timing chain tensioners are starting to go at 15k miles. I cant find anyone else ever having that issue, so I'm pretty sure its an early build thing.

I've read on here that early cars have oiling problems. Usually this comes up when someones engine explodes and it turns out they had an early build. I think this is actually the problem, not con rods. I've rarely heard of any con rod issues outside of entry level TT setups. I also think my car could be having this issue, as it makes some horrible noises until it builds oil pressure. Cold start sounds like throwing a box of spoons down the stairs. Plan to tear it down when I do the synchro job. At the very least need to do the tensioners.

To be clear, this is a car with 15k miles that has a stack of paperwork showing that before I owned it, it was serviced with a blank check on a regular interval.

·
Registered
2004 Gallardo 6-speed manual
52 Posts
A notorious one seems to be disintegrating cats which leak particles into the engine, leading to scoring and god-knows-what... in other words, engine rebuild guaranteed. The community-approved preventive measure is to swap the OEM cats with some quality aftermarket units, such as Larini or Fabspeed.

This is actually the next item in my endless to-do list.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts