Lamborghini Talk banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife and I park our Lotus wherever. We take them to the movies, out to eat, and never think twice about leaving the cars unattended. Heck, I street park my Lotus pretty regularly.

When I get my Gallardo (hopefully in the next month.. crossing my fingers), I intend to do the same.

·
Registered
899 Posts
For those of you that do not own a Lamborghini, please don't take offense, but a Lotus or Nissan is not in the same category as say a Murcielago. I too like to drive most anywhere, but I would think twice about leaving a 300k car somewhere as opposed to a sub 100k car.

Easier said than done when you drive something that cost as much as most folks home.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Leave it unattended? Please....
Besides, I dont need to leave it alone in a parking lot to encounter jerks...they have walked right into my garage. Some sense of entitlement I guess.

·
Registered
949 Posts
There are several issues at play, each tugging at us at a different rate to form the same symptoms (public parking paranoia).

1. Attention - not everyone wants to deal with questions. Sometimes you're in the mood, sometimes not. Some feel that dealing with questions is a sort of "reparation" for owning an exotic, others feel they are owed the same privacy as others.

2. Risk of damage by onlookers. Surface scratches, fingerprints/nails, rivets on jeans, etc... all create pain later in the form of repairs, cleanup, etc. And whether it is an onlooker getting in too close with their grape slush from Sonic or the anorexic teenage sorority girl kicking her driver door open into the bright orange exotic she didn't notice because she hates cars...none of these folks are going to take responsibility for their actions which could, in the worst of cases, actually depreciate the car.

3. Risk of damage by vandals/jealous people. Insurance comes more into play here than case #2 above but you are still looking at depreciation.

I've always been wary of where I park any car I've owned, from a $25k Firebird Formula to my six figure Murci, I've always followed the same rules. That is to say, I've always behaved as if I'd owned an exotic.

Except now that the reality of ownership is upon me I find I stop nowhere. My emphasis is on #3 (vandals) and partly #2 (carelessness) but now it is very much tied to the depreciation factor. *I* want to be the one who depreciates this car. In my other cars, even if I wanted to treat my car like an exotic and prevent every possible scratch, now it seems to matter a lot more in terms of resale, etc.

So to those who say "Park it, enjoy it, etc" what is your plan for dealing with the worst case? Eg., you park responsibly far away from the front door like the rest of us, but you do park and get down. You come out to find a giant dent in your door. I mean, it's big enough that you wonder if it could have been intentional. Are you willing to call up the insurance company or the repair shop and create a "story" car when it comes time to sell?

Worse yet...my nightmare is having it happen right in front of me and the responsible party nodding a smile my way and zipping out of the parking lot screaming "sorrrry!" on the way out of sight. Sure you can get the plate, but it's your word against theirs and this isn't a $500 bumper repair and splash of paint. It's prob gonna hit them for $15k or more. So there's the big fight that most likely results in nothing but wasted time, money, and everyone being told to take responsibility for their own damages. Or maybe you get lucky and after months of court you get to repair a depreciated car. If you're lucky.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer. I'm just saying, those of us with concerns are concerned for a reason. I totally respect and appreciate (and envy) those who can just leave their pride and joy in the lot and go to the mall and grab a cookie at the Chocolate Chip Cookie Factory (mmmmmm...double doozie). But I think I'll need therapy before I can do it, especially with this car.

I got to the point where I barely parked my ultra-tooned 350Z. I also barely parked my Exige S. The Murci has completely pushed me over the edge. I'll stop at one local burger joint to grab a pick up order (not to eat there). And I'll stop for gas. And I'll stop for my annual inspection. So far that's about it! I'm clinical!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
For those of you that do not own a Lamborghini, please don't take offense, but a Lotus or Nissan is not in the same category as say a Murcielago. I too like to drive most anywhere, but I would think twice about leaving a 300k car somewhere as opposed to a sub 100k car.

Easier said than done when you drive something that cost as much as most folks home.
Hmm, I guess that kind of makes sense. If you buy a shirt for $10, you probably wouldn't care if it ripped or tore. However, if it was a $100 shirt, you would probably act more cautious to prevent and sort of tears,rips,stains, etc because it's worth more to you and you would like to hold on to it as long as you can to get what the shirt is worth.

You probably wouldn't care as much if Lambos were abundant and only cost $10k to buy it.

I may be wrong though lol

·
Registered
15 Posts

and please dont take offense when I say that I am going to park my gallardo and leave it unattended on probably a daily basis ;)

(I'd even leave it sitting outside at the house if my wife would let me)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmm, I guess that kind of makes sense. If you buy a shirt for $10, you probably wouldn't care if it ripped or tore. However, if it was a $100 shirt, you would probably act more cautious to prevent and sort of tears,rips,stains, etc because it's worth more to you and you would like to hold on to it as long as you can to get what the shirt is worth.

You probably wouldn't care as much if Lambos were abundant and only cost $10k to buy it.

I may be wrong though lol

Well sorry... I guess I don't share the same view. For me it is not a question of money or prestige of the thing, it is about the feelings that you have about it.

One folk may own a 500 000$ sports car, but if he is lazy or was born with a golden spoon in his mouth and knows nothing about the value of things, the car as a good chance of finishing into a poor condition, whatever it is.

On the other hand, An old folk could have past all his sunday's afternoon for the last 27 years taking care of his original Chevrolet Vega and be proud of it, it will be nice and shiny even after all this time.

If I take your shirt example: One of my friend dropped a "Cirque du Soleil" shirt from my boat into the lake. that shirt was given to him from his teammates while he was working there and he had it for a couple of years.

He was nearly crying as the shirt sunk and he skinned dived for the next week until he finds it back.

My friend has money, a ruined 100$ shirt would have shakken him less than that "Cirque du Soleil" shirt that means really something to him.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well sorry... I guess I don't share the same view. For me it is not a question of money or prestige of the thing, it is about the feelings that you have about it.

One folk may own a 500 000$ sports car, but if he is lazy or was born with a golden spoon in his mouth and knows nothing about the value of things, the car as a good chance of finishing into a poor condition, whatever it is.

On the other hand, An old folk could have past all his sunday's afternoon for the last 27 years taking care of his original Chevrolet Vega and be proud of it, it will be nice and shiny even after all this time.

If I take your shirt example: One of my friend dropped a "Cirque du Soleil" shirt from my boat into the lake. that shirt was given to him from his teammates while he was working there and he had it for a couple of years.

He was nearly crying as the shirt sunk and he skinned dived for the next week until he finds it back.

My friend has money, a ruined 100$ shirt would have shakken him less than that "Cirque du Soleil" shirt that means really something to him.
Actually, I share the exact same value as you. I was actually outside at an event an I was freezing my butt off on my phone typing it. The cold messes with my head :p

I did forget to mention how sentimental value was involved and left out a few details.

My bad but I guess no harm done?

Edit: dang iPhone correction. I meant view not value lol. I'll take a look at my post hen I get home.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Caring about the car and leaving it unattended are 2 different things. I was not born with a 'golden spoon', I worked for everything I have, I love my Murci, and I care about it deeply. I maintain it and drive it as well as I can, and it is in impeccable condition. But I also made a conscious decision not to worry about it, it is only a car not my wife or my daughter, and people are not going to sabotage it on purpose (never happened to me through 15 years of exotic cars, happened with a BMW though). The downside of being paranoid about it far outweighs the downside of not worrying about it (caring but not worrying). At least for me.

·
Registered
949 Posts
When I think about it, the only times any car I've owned has been "sabotaged" (significantly) or vandalized in some way has been in the parking of my own living area at the time. Of course that is moot now as I have a secure garage, but still... Even my own statistics suggest I am concerned over nothing.

Yet none of the previously sampled data points involved a Murci. :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Smoky, from my personal experience (and I have lived in different places in Europe and in the US), most people respect exotics like Lamborghini and Ferraris, and won't vandalize them. The don't 'respect' more pedestrian cars like Porsche, Mercedes or BMW (I had one BMW vandalized, and one Porsche damaged), and I've also seen some agressive behavior towards cars like Rolls or Bentleys. Again, not a psychological study here, just some facts that I've experimented over the years.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was at Barnes & Nobles the other night, and right outside the window of the seating area was a super nice hot rodded el camino. Paint was in perfect condition. I read a magazine inside the store window, and these dumb blond teens come up and lean all up against it, and start taking pictures. They were practically sitting on it! Luckily, owner was near by to fend them off before I went out to tell them off. Some people...

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
I was at Barnes & Nobles the other night, and right outside the window of the seating area was a super nice hot rodded el camino. Paint was in perfect condition. I read a magazine inside the store window, and these dumb blond teens come up and lean all up against it, and start taking pictures. They were practically sitting on it! Luckily, owner was near by to fend them off before I went out to tell them off. Some people...
Ya I've had kids sitting on the hood. No freaking manners. I'm always noce and show the car to anyone who asks. A couple times I opened the door and they just jumped in. like WTF?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually, I share the exact same value as you. I was actually outside at an event an I was freezing my butt off on my phone typing it. The cold messes with my head :p

I did forget to mention how sentimental value was involved and left out a few details.

My bad but I guess no harm done?

Edit: dang iPhone correction. I meant view not value lol. I'll take a look at my post hen I get home.
No, no, everything is ok!:D

I did not feel as if it was not important for you. Let's say that I helped to continue the discussion?:)

·
Registered
341 Posts
No, no, everything is ok!:D

I did not feel as if it was not important for you. Let's say that I helped to continue the discussion?:)
LOL! Whoh, I just noticed that you joined Lambo Talk 5 days ago!

Welcome to Lamborghini Talk!

Enjoy your stay and don't troll the forums (not saying that you will :p)

·
Registered
7 Posts
LOL! Whoh, I just noticed that you joined Lambo Talk 5 days ago!

Welcome to Lamborghini Talk!

Enjoy your stay and don't troll the forums (not saying that you will :p)
Thank you!

My goal is to read interesting stories from restaurations to some epic rides...:rolleyes:

41 - 60 of 95 Posts