Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a car (non-lambo) looking to trade in for a different one. It drives fine but have few issue in codes including Check Engine Light. I also have some blemish on rear bumper when I backed into a garage pillar.

Should I resolve these issues before trading them in or I should just trade-in as-it?

What is the better deal?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Better to negotiate from perfection
Dealer will justify a lower value to you with a car with problems and the decrease will be greater than fixing small problems.
With trade in its all about the difference anyways.

·
Registered
328 Posts
May not be a "every time" answer.
Cost of repairs vs. reduction in trade in.
IMO the check engine light could be worth fixing as that will be a big devaluation....dealer has leverage.
Bumper damages, maybe not as much.
Good luck in your decision and trade.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I usually fix the problems before getting rid of an old car so that the future owner won't have a problem with it. Every one of us wants a smooth transaction even when trading cars.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It often depends...
Cost of addressing the issues vs added resale value...
Trading to a dealer or selling private...
Selling private, I always present an honest vehicle to the buyer. I’d fix stuff like the check engine, as it creates a huge unknown... cosmetic defects depend on how much is involved. You need to price accordingly, and there are generally buyers in every price range.
Also depends on the value range of the vehicle.
Trading to dealers rarely pays off fixing minor scrapes unless it’s a desirable vehicle they would put on their lot... most they sell wholesale.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts