Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you keep your car a secret from employees, peers, customers etc? I'm already hiding the fact I own a sports car but 2 people I see on a regular basis saw me in it. One made a comment about it while I was working for a customer, the customer seemed okay with the fact since he was a one man/business owner and I didn't chat about it but the other guy who seems a little jealous shot a few comments since.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm all about know your audience. As my mother always said the more you tell people the more they have to talk about. Be it good or bad. I'd rather keep my mouth shut for most of the time to avoid hearing non-sense. If people ask then yes I do but I will not give away the farm and go into detail. :D

·
Registered
2009 LP560-4
136 Posts
I try not to make it a big deal at work but if people ask what kind of car I drive I tell them. I definitely downplay it and don’t rub it in peoples faces. But I’m proud of the cars I drive and if people judge me for them, so be it. I’m hopeful people can understand this is my hobby and I worked hard and made sacrifices in order to achieve these goals.

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,024 Posts
I don’t brag about the things I have. Especially to those I don’t know or am not close with but it all comes out eventually. Especially with coworkers. Theres no bigger gossip session than between coworkers!

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,071 Posts
I don’t tell people unless they ask, but like Toymr2trd said, it’s all about know your audience.

·
Registered
225 Posts
While it’s not a secret, I definitely don’t share it with those I work with unless asked or the right audience. I also wouldn’t even think of parking it at work. Just not the leadership image I want to make.

However that doesn’t mean I haven’t driven it to work… I don’t own these cars to just look at them. But it’s never parked onsite or anywhere that people would see. I have an arrangement with a nearby collectors car storage facility to park my car there and walk over or get dropped off on occasions that I drive it to work. It’s convenient, safe and secure.

Reactions: AzusilApps

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I am in a unique situation where I work out of country and most of my time is spent away from the cars.
I do not share what I own to my clients a sit has nothing to do with my business and they would never see me with the cars.
I do not do social media which a lot of people share their experiences.
Even if I was working in the same place as the cars I would still treat this situation the same.
I’m just not an attention whore

·
Registered
512 Posts
Agreed with all of the above. Most of my managers know about my Gallardo (also Co. ownership)-I would rather them hear it from me then as gossip. My front line employees do not for the most part. My DD is an 06' Carrera 4-I do take that to work every day but everyone knows I'm a car freak who does his own maintenance (for the most part) and that car has 149k on it so its easy to downplay the value. Its definitely not something I would advertise but I wont hide from it either.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,071 Posts
I made the mistake posting some YouTube videos thinking none of my employees would see them, I was wrong. Only a couple of them said something and it was all positive thankfully.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I don't work so there's that. I have told only two other people I know, both are car guys, the others that know didn't get it from me.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can see why some wouldn't tell their family members. My GF's mother said to her daughter I had welfare dreams when I announced I was planning on buying a C7 and only few months later I bought my current car. Two summers later her mother commented to her I never showed her the car... Nope I'm not interested. I will remember that comment forever and I appreciate it at the same time because little did I know the world completely changed in 2020 combined with the marketing I did the biz really picked up and the Huracan dream car I thought would be next to impossible to attain is suddenly obtainable in the near future and I also get to keep my Vette for groceries :p . The downside is the inflated car prices and I'll wait till the bubble burst, I'm not interested in over paying by 50K-70K+.

Some days it would be convenient to go pick up supplies at the warehouse since I'm already in my nice car but I make an effort to go back home change clothes get the work truck out. Heck I don't forward much info to previous coworkers when I randomly see them. When they ask where I'm at I'll tell them I opened a biz and the good news they don't even ask the name of it, great for me!

On some jobs I see customer's Porsches, fast bikes etc. in their garage, I small talk about it but I never mention what I have.

I have only one long time friend and I took him out for a brief spin.

·
Premium Member
2022 H EVO RWD on order
2,218 Posts
I made the mistake posting some YouTube videos thinking none of my employees would see them, I was wrong. Only a couple of them said something and it was all positive thankfully.
They’re your employees. I know it’s a tough labor market today but if one of my employees had an issue with how I spend my money and turned it into a negative when speaking with others they would be gone.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Always a sad subject on a high end car forum. It's so hard to hide a car (that you actually drive) because everybody shares the road. Easy to hide real estate, art, boats. I don't have customers, only co-workers and bosses. Once someone finds out, word spreads like wildfire. Invariably, I get busted at car shows, which I like going to.

Reactions: Luzifer

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Always a sad subject on a high end car forum. It's so hard to hide a car (that you actually drive) because everybody shares the road. Easy to hide real estate, art, boats. I don't have customers, only co-workers and bosses. Once someone finds out, word spreads like wildfire. Invariably, I get busted at car shows, which I like going to.
I thought about cars shows, there's only one maybe two in my area, I would be so proud showing it off but yeah getting busted is something to think about unless I attend a car show in another city.
After attending the Italian festival a couple years ago and seeing the exotics drive down the street I told myself I need to be in it some day, for that event too bad if someone recognizes me. Even then the chances are slim of being recognized because not many know about the festival and many do not go to that area.

I drive my car every day it's nice out, I'm the first out when the snow melts and last one before it snows so eventually the word will spread.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a physician friend whose car becoming known to the other docs in the small practice ultimately resulted in his being pushed out. There was no pay disparity, but couple old docs who probably hate their own lives or spouses for not letting them buy fun cars became very standoffish within a week or two of the car becoming common knowledge, when he'd owned it for years at that point.

I don't make mine known to anyone but close friends, and my social media accounts are very restricted and limited in connections to "friends" I actually hang out with in real life. People can get really petty about things, particularly exotic cars, and even if you and a peer are on the same financial ground but you have a $300k car while they have a $300k more expensive home, the car becomes the point of contention. I just think it isn't worth it to share, unless you just have so much money you're in the group who gets to not care what anyone thinks nor will it affect your ability to earn, e.g. Dave Chappelle lol.

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,820 Posts
It’s sad but reality that some people judge you on material possessions. Often, though, the owners of those possessions can give them reason to judge. I say be humble, share with those who are car buffs, and don’t flaunt it to those who aren’t.

Personally, I don’t let my clients and friends know about my cars unless they see them in the garage just because the risk of being judged negatively is too high.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts