Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pulling into my garage after a quick 10 minute errand and out of nowhere I hear a shaking sound, almost like a loose "something" so I naturally put it in park and look under and in the engine and don't see anything abnormal. I start pulling forward and if I turn the wheel at all(left or right) there is a resistance that shakes the steering wheel and prevents me from turning the tires. It is definitely coming from the real engine/axle area. I am wondering if the rear diff can snap or something of that nature? I do have the 2wheel conversion(removing the front diff and using OEM spokes) but that has been fine since it was done a year ago. I assume that I have to get it towed to the damn dealer but was hoping for any ideas or input to guide me in the right direction?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As a followup, I am wondering if the Rear Diff could be out of fluid? Would that cause this issue? I had the fluid flushed and replaced this last winter but I noticed that underneath looks like it is possibly leaking? Here are photos:
Auto part Vehicle door Automotive exterior Vehicle

Auto part Tire Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle

Auto part Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Car

·
Registered
821 Posts
This will also happen when the fluid needs to be changed. Mine has done a almost walking shake when turning sharp in parking lots when needed to be change. I use Royal Purple now it last long.

·
Registered
2 Posts
04 Gallardo steering help

it actually does sound like your out of fluid. or your pump is bad. also see video from past post by lilevo. I would post the link, however I am too new to the Forum lol. look for lilevo on 04-19-2015 in DIY

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Also, check to see if your front lifter works, if it doesn’t then, yep you probably just stripped the little connector that runs the power steering pump. It’s not a big deal and quite an easy fix. I just had to replace mine a month or two ago.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Also, check to see if your front lifter works, if it doesn’t then, yep you probably just stripped the little connector that runs the power steering pump. It’s not a big deal and quite an easy fix. I just had to replace mine a month or two ago.
I lost power to steer my car due to that broken small notorious shaft. A new one has come and i need to replace it this month.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies! A local mechanic who is familiar with the car also said he bets it is the POWER STEERING that is out of fluid.

I found what I believe is the power steering pump(in this photo) and it has a full tank(above minimum and below max). So it this is the power steering then I dont see how that is the problem :confused:
Automotive wheel system Auto part Wheel

Metal

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The lambo dealership confirmed it was the steering "pump" but they want to replace the pump for $3k, when I am confident that it is just the $35 pump SHAFT that many of you claim to have experienced. Would anyone suggest that I have the car towed back to my place and replace the shaft myself? OR would it be benefitial to replace the PUMP anyway since it only lasts so many miles? which begs the question, how often should the gallardo power steering pump be switched?

·
Registered
352 Posts
So let me get this straight, the stealership doesn't want to put the car on a lift and do a quick check if the power steering pump shaft is slipping/striped ? and quotes you full price for a replacement pump ????, I would tell them if they can't do that then they lost a customer.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So let me get this straight, the stealership doesn't want to put the car on a lift and do a quick check if the power steering pump shaft is slipping/striped ? and quotes you full price for a replacement pump ????, I would tell them if they can't do that then they lost a customer.
Unfortunately that is completely accurate. Although I would be surprised if anyone has had a different experience at ANY Lambo dealership... There is a reason that there is a so called "Lambo Tax" on everything. I would presume that most Lambo owners don't question the costs regarding repair, however I simply have a "pet peeve" for being taken advantage of and ask many questions and research everything myself. I have found the steering pump shaft at my local AUDI dealership(part#: 057145223) as well as the "Power Steering Pump Seal Kit"(part#: 4E0198156B) and I might just pick it up and insist the dealer replace that first. My only confusion is whether the "Power Steering Pump Seal Kit" is necessary or not considering there is no OEM equivalent ever used and I am unsure what the point of it is...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not sure where you are located but maybe people could chime on a few trusted independent mechanics in your area. Being here in AZ, I doubt I’d ever go to the dealership unless there was a recall.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just replace it yourself. There are a few threads on it. I started one a couple of months ago.

It was an easy job. The top off fluid is just dextron 2.
As of now, I searched around and picked up an AUDI equivalent of the steering pump shaft and after much consernation the dealership agreed to first try to replace the shaft instead of the entire pump which they said was bad. We will see what happens. So far the bill is just under $1k for replacing the shaft and flushing/refilling the power steering fluid.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To update and close this thread I wanted to provide the result....

Thanks to this community and all the help via private messages, the car is fixed now after replacing ONLY the power steering shaft with the newest iteration version of the shaft(AUDI Part No: 057145223). The total cost was just under $1k which included the shaft, labor to replace, and power steering flush/refill. Compared to the $3k+ cost of replacing the entire pump that the dealership claimed was necessary, I would say it's a good ending...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts