Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question!!!!! What would cause flames to shoot out of the tail pipes with dark smoke and what needs to be done to stop this. I know one of the O2 sensor is bad and I have ordered one but should I check something else as well

Thanks
CCIE

·
Registered
15 Posts
White smoke = coolant
Blue smoke = oil
Black smoke = fuel

General guide … lots of other reasons for varietiesof smoke.

What you describe sounds like lots of unburnt fuel (usually running rich) … and running hot (flames in exhaust)… which usually means running lean on the engine ( more fuel = lower egt (hence turbo cars dump lots of fuel to run rich to keep things cool) … but got fuel in exhaust. Its an odd combo.

Checked the sparks or ignition?! Does it feel lumpy like it’s not running full power?!

Go cautious until you’ve resolved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If you got spark all the way from coil to sparkplug, resistance of sparkplug wires is worth to check (if you got them with your car)
I would check fuel pressure regulator. They will leak from every car soner or later, membrane will fail, it is rubber. So take vacuum hose out and see that it does not spary fuel.
One car from mid 1990's had fuel regulator fail and fuel filled intake manifold from vacuum hose, caused intake manifold to explode (yes, in to small pieces.)

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,490 Posts
CCIE, can you determine which tail pipes or is this condition equal in all four tail pipes? Remember, the tail pipes cross over such that the left tail pipes are coming from the right side of the engine and vice versa. If the smoke and flames are equal across the four pipes, then you have an equalized issue across the whole engine somewhere in the system such as fuel regulator allowing too much fuel like Mikal says, or lack of ignition. If the smoke and flames are not equal you may have a stuck open injector or a failed spark plug /wire/ignition such that a certain cylinder is not igniting and pumping unburned gas into the exhaust.

most likely given your brief description and depending on which 02 sensor is bad, the ECU may very well be forcing an injector(s) open longer to change that condition resulting in unburned fuel exiting into the exhaust. This condition no matter what should be throwing check engine lights. Which ones are coming on?

Final comment as one poster said above but drive sparingly or not at all as too much raw fuel into your cats can do damage to them. My hunch is replace your O2 sensor and see if this changes your issue.

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,490 Posts
CCIE, come to think of it I also had a similar issue with high exhaust temps and I took it into the mechanic. Turns out the simplest of issues: one of my bung plugs in the exhaust had fallen out somehow. A less than five dollar plug fixed the issue!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'd say it's very likely your O2 sensor if it's just one bank. Do you have a CEL for the O2 sensor on? Does your car have cats? You could also check the cap and rotor as well as the TPS since they are know issues and easy, but I wouldn't do too much else before replacing the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'd say it's very likely your O2 sensor if it's just one bank. Do you have a CEL for the O2 sensor on? Does your car have cats? You could also check the cap and rotor as well as the TPS since they are know issues and easy, but I wouldn't do too much else before replacing the O2 sensor.
Thank you everyone for all the replies. The cats and Muffler has been removed and its straight pipes. The right O2 sensor is broken off and the bottom part is ceased on the exhaust pipe. I have tried my darnest to remove it, unfortunately it won’t budge. I took it to Evens but unfortunately they are way too busy. Not sure how to remove the O2 sensor. I have 17 codes but most relate to O2 sensor. I just bought this baby and unfortunately I fell in love with it before my brain told me to back off and think hence no PPI and now I am stuck holding my, well, my "stick shifter" trying to sort all the demons out. But hey it’s the journey that's exciting. I am not a car person just a humble Computer geek but do have a PHD in Google. Thank you all for the assistance. I have a lot to sort out. Guess at the time of purchase my eyes were way bigger then my brain!!!!! Yet another proof for my wife to use against me that I am just an idiot... Thank Goaaaddddd that my wife cannot drive a stick shift!!!!! Call me whatever you want but danged I love my joy stick!!!!!! I now have a new uhmmm understanding of going through the bridges and tunnels!!!! This one has a better rowrrrrrr then my 91 Diablo

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi Yusha, I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble. 17 codes is a bit crazy! Can you post a picture of the damaged sensor? I would think it could just be cut off and drill out. How many O2 sensors are there?

Sorry if I missed it somewhere but what car did you buy?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I dealt with something similar recently (frozen threads) and was able to free it with TONS of patience, Liquid Wrench, and heat. It probably took me almost a week and several (25-30) applications of Liquid Wrench to free it. I encourage you to give that a shot since the vehicle is going to be sitting there either way. If the sensor is broken off without the ability to put a wrench on it, You'll need to drill it as mentioned already.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Gents for all your assistance. I was able to free up the O2 sensor and replaced it. more then half of the codes are now gone. Unfortunately that was only Bank 1, I replaced the Bank 2 side as well but it seems there are 4 O2 sensors. Passenger side Bank1 sensor 1 and Bank 1 sensor 2... Driver side Bank 2 sensor 1 and Bank 2 Sensor 2, I replaced the driver side O2 sensor as well but the following OBD codes still persist:
1. P0174---- System too Lean Bank 2
2. P0175---- System Too Rich Bank 2
3. P0151---- O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1
4. P0152---- O2 Sensor Circuit High Volts Bank 2 Sensor 1
5. P0153---- O2 Sensor CKT slow response Bank 2 Sensor 1
6. P0154---- O2 Sensor CKT no Activity Bank 2 Sensor 1
7. P1502---- Manf Cntr 1 Veh Spd.Idle Speed Control Auxiliary Inputs

It seems I replaced Sensor 2 but cannot find Sensor 1 (will look again tomorrow). The Cats and muffler has been deleted from the Diablo and there is only Test pipes.
Attached is a picture of the sensors so if anyone can assist me identify where/how the sensors are and where I could locate the Bank 2 Sensor 1 on a Diablo 6.0 would be much appreciated. I suspect once the correct O2 sensor is swapped out all the OBD codes should disappear. By the way I am using Bosch 13032 O2 Sensors

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CCIE, can you determine which tail pipes or is this condition equal in all four tail pipes? Remember, the tail pipes cross over such that the left tail pipes are coming from the right side of the engine and vice versa. If the smoke and flames are equal across the four pipes, then you have an equalized issue across the whole engine somewhere in the system such as fuel regulator allowing too much fuel like Mikal says, or lack of ignition. If the smoke and flames are not equal you may have a stuck open injector or a failed spark plug /wire/ignition such that a certain cylinder is not igniting and pumping unburned gas into the exhaust.

most likely given your brief description and depending on which 02 sensor is bad, the ECU may very well be forcing an injector(s) open longer to change that condition resulting in unburned fuel exiting into the exhaust. This condition no matter what should be throwing check engine lights. Which ones are coming on?

Final comment as one poster said above but drive sparingly or not at all as too much raw fuel into your cats can do damage to them. My hunch is replace your O2 sensor and see if this changes your issue.

Clyde.... Both tail pipes are basically black... I replaced 2 of the 4 o2 sensors and the engine seems to run a lot better the black smoke is lot less, Bank 1 all errors have been eliminated Bank 2 errors remain and it seems I replaced Bank2 Sensor 2 but need to replace Bank 2 sensor 1 (need to find where its located, will dig more tomorrow. More to follow and Pictures to come. Have to say test pipes make the car more raw and loud (way too obnoxious) But bridges and tunnels have new meaning to me!!! Ya Baaaby,,
All my Marshall Stacks and all my guitars compare nothing when this baby screams and thunders

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i am the proud owner of a 74 Les Paul Custom through a 50w vintage Marshall Stack.
Wow!!! Would love to hear that combination... Once upon a lifetime ago I was running Jackson axes through 6 full stack couple of DSL and TSL JCM 800/2203 but my favorite today is JVM410h though never get to play it at its full potential. What is yours a Plexi MK2?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Once upon a time my house was mine these days according to my wife I only get 2 small corners one in the basement thats covered in cobwebs and dust and one in the corner of my office that is covered in dust and cobwebs (lol) by the way dont laugh too hard at my harmoney.... That baby saw a lot of action in the late 80's more then most of my current friend today can only dream about!!!!! Musical instrument Electronic instrument Reflex camera Digital camera Camera accessory

1 - 20 of 41 Posts