Lamborghini Talk banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I have #3 and in 2014 I almost bought Alans car. I looked it over thoroughly and it was in excellent shape. The paint was perfect and the car wasn't throwing any engine codes. The real draw of the car was its amazing paint job. Without that, its just another SV, which is still good but loses its authenticity as a Monterey Edition. Many dont care, but many who are serious about owning a Monterey Edition do care.The original paint was a tri-coat paint with a deep midnight blue with green pearl. The effect made the car change color to a purple green hue as you walked around it relaitive to the angle of the sun. I went to great lengths to color match the paint on mine. So here is what I think happened based on my experience. Each of the 20 cars was painted at the Lamborghini factory. Lamborghini has each of these paint codes in their records, HOWEVER, the paint code in the front trunk of the car gives only a generic color. So for #3 the real paint code is designated fushia with purple pearl, but the paint code on the car says Rosso Targa which is what my 91 Diablo says. If the Monterey edition car was painted in the red spectrum, it also had the same Rosso Targa plate on the car. I think they just went by what the plate said on the car.

It did need the usual maintenance you would expect with a car that was 16 years old at the time, such as new tires, rubber hoses that are getting tired, etc. It had the original clutch from what I recall but the mileage was low so it wasn't an issue then. Agree with Kevin, the engine rebuild is puzzling as these engines are solid unless someone not familiar with this engine takes it apart. My estimate at the time was about 20K of refurbishing the car, but nothing major. Roy is correct, his is perfect.

As for price, I have had over a half dozen unsolicited offers of over 300K of which I have no intention of selling because the car is fully restored a so great to drive and has a one off wild color. Covid has clearly softened the market, so am surprised to see Roys SV now selling at 305K as that car has perfect well maintained records. If this car sold in the low 200K's there is plenty of room to repaint to the original color and still be a super deal. I think in a couple years, people will look back and wish they bought when prices are this low.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
minor question, are the bolts on the 3 piece wheels gold or chrome? I thought OEM was gold, but Roys (perfect car) they are chrome.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Regarding wheels bolts, each Monterey Edition had different bolt finishes to help make each unique. Kevin's #2 came with gold, my #3 came with silver as did Alans. You can see this in vintage footage when the cars were built and went to Concorso Italiano in1998. I considered goining gold when I had my wheels rechromed as I thought it would look better, but decided to stay original. That said, I spent way too much time researching what each car had.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
great info on the wheels, thank you for sharing.

there was a comment on BAT about these cars being US dealer prepared, vs factory. Can you comment on that? it would seem if they came from the factory with the special paint they it was a factory effort vs US dealership.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So it was both. Lamborghini OC (Orange County) worked with factory Lamborghini to develop a special addition vehicle. Since sales were slow in the late 90's, pre dot com bubble, this was a way to help sell cars. This is why the factory was willing to do 20 one-off colors. At that time in history, Concorso Italiano was one of the most popular exotic car venues so LOC partnered with the factory to develop the ME, plus the Italians loved coming to Ca . The paint and engine hood with dual scoops are from factory Lamborghini. The cars came shipped with OZ wheels and most were replaced with custom Kinesis Wheels. I'm told they only made 30 wheel sets and some MEs have these, others decided to keep the factory OZ wheels. The wheels can be found on the Victorias Secret pearl white Diablo. The extra wheels appear on rare occasion on other Diablos. I bought a spare set from someone who bought them for his VT. When he sold the VT, he put the originals back on and sold me his. I believe the hand stitched seats with special logo are factory as well but not 100% positive.

Other specialty features were added on some models. Most have Tubi exhaust upgrades. The ME#3 has some special headers you wont find on others. Others may have more historical details on specialty cars like the twin turbo ME and the supercharged #12 ME. Not all are created equal and my personal favorites are #2, #3 and #10 which is painted voilet and #15 before the repaint and #18. I have kept track of most but would love more info on #4,6, 9, and 12.

·
Registered
64 Posts
great info on the wheels, thank you for sharing.

there was a comment on BAT about these cars being US dealer prepared, vs factory. Can you comment on that? it would seem if they came from the factory with the special paint they it was a factory effort vs US dealership.
My info form the day from Valentino is that these special cars where built specifically for at the time Lamborghini Orange County. At the time they and Lamborghini Miami were the 2 largest dealers in the USA. Vic from LOC specked the cars, they used the name Monterey Edition as they were all driven up to and displayed at Pebble Beach in Monterrey. Vic ordered little extras for each car to make them unique as well as had the motors tweaked to produce approx 20 HP more then the standard SV. The same went for the MOMO edition cars, they were Dealer specked by Vic and at the time DAVE from Prestige motors, they each got to sell these car, none went to other Dealers brand new.

ME3SV is correct on the bolts, some were gold, some where Silver..I know of one that was Black

I probably should raise the price on my car back to $325K I agree its worth every penny of that. These cars drive like a fantastic driver interaction car. THEY get ALL the attention at the show and on Rallys...after all, you see 39 Aventadors, 67 Huracans 88 EVO spyders......then this HAND built beauty in among them...NO COMPETITION!! AND THEY ALL CAME WITH A REAL GATED GEARBOX!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
So it was both. Lamborghini OC (Orange County) worked with factory Lamborghini to develop a special addition vehicle. Since sales were slow in the late 90's, pre dot com bubble, this was a way to help sell cars. This is why the factory was willing to do 20 one-off colors. At that time in history, Concorso Italiano was one of the most popular exotic car venues so LOC partnered with the factory to develop the ME, plus the Italians loved coming to Ca . The paint and engine hood with dual scoops are from factory Lamborghini. The cars came shipped with OZ wheels and most were replaced with custom Kinesis Wheels. I'm told they only made 30 wheel sets and some MEs have these, others decided to keep the factory OZ wheels. The wheels can be found on the Victorias Secret pearl white Diablo. The extra wheels appear on rare occasion on other Diablos. I bought a spare set from someone who bought them for his VT. When he sold the VT, he put the originals back on and sold me his. I believe the hand stitched seats with special logo are factory as well but not 100% positive.

Other specialty features were added on some models. Most have Tubi exhaust upgrades. The ME#3 has some special headers you wont find on others. Others may have more historical details on specialty cars like the twin turbo ME and the supercharged #12 ME. Not all are created equal and my personal favorites are #2, #3 and #10 which is painted voilet and #15 before the repaint and #18. I have kept track of most but would love more info on #4,6, 9, and 12.

100% correct. I used to own the VS car..l WISH I still did!! I wonder what it would bring today..sold it for just a bit over $100K Had the TT one as well...it had a lot of issues, not sorry I sold that one LOL

VIC back in the day told me they pulled the seats to the cars when they landed in LA and had the headrest stitching done here at a custom leather shop

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
i would love to see some pictures of these cars, particularly the VS car. These are for sure cars that have yet to come. Thank you for all the great information gentlemen.
Geno

·
Registered
64 Posts
50 hp more than factory? How on earth was a magic 50 bhp available?

Sorry, was fat finger it should say 20HP...I am not aq mechanic and I do not know how this was achieved. I do know that I was told this by numerous Factory people including Valentino as well as several well know Lambo Mechanics here in the USA>

·
Registered
45 Posts
Given the "Italian" nature of engine building willing to bet the variance between any two SV's is probably 40-50 (bhp). That would be +/- 5% on overall horsepower rating.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It looks not too bad. Wrong front badge, front bumper not matt black finish, the previous mechanic used some wrong bolts, nuts. It needs clearly TLC and dry ice blasting on the wheel arches & floors, maybe some screws yellow zinc replated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here are a couple photos taken in 2018 of ME #2 & #3, both fully restored and shown at Concorso Italiano. You wont see these for sale anytime soon so a sale like this is rare. The color in the photos doesnt show well as its fushia with purple pearl tri coat. The one for sale on BAT was originally midnight blue with a green pearl tri-coat which was stunning.
P1010885.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry, was fat finger it should say 20HP...I am not aq mechanic and I do not know how this was achieved. I do know that I was told this by numerous Factory people including Valentino as well as several well know Lambo Mechanics here in the USA>
I believe it gets its extra HP from variable valve timing introduced to the SV in 1998

·
Registered
19 Posts
Amazing cars I would appreciate posting more pictures
At risk of getting in trouble for not being politically correct, a local model had some professional photos taken for a maxim magazine contest. It takes a professional to take photos that really capture the violet intensity of the paint. Just another day in the life of a Lamborghini owner.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
well if you have to break a wing, that's the way to do it. Although she probably weighs less then 90 lbs.

great color shot, thank you for posting.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts