Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys change the oil in your V12 Lambo on your own? I'm getting a little tried of paying the dealer $400 every 6 months on oil change alone. How hard is it to change the oil and oil filter in our cars?

·
Administrator
5,166 Posts
Does Symbolic charge that? Outrageous! I changed the gear oil without lifting my car it was hard, but I'm sure going to change the engine oil myself. It can't be any harder.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That is absolutly redicilous. $400 for an oil change?? I would run from a shop that charges that much. Changing the oil in a Diablo is no more difficult than any other car, except that to get to the oil filter you have to remove a metal panel on the underside of the car (8-10 bolts). Takes about 2 minutes. Engine takes 12+ quarts of oil. The filter is a UFI filter (somewhere on this forum there is a discussion about US equivalents).

I get mine done at "Jiffy Lube" here in CA. I bring my own oil (Valvoline 10-40W). I won't tell you how much I pay it will make you sick!

PS. You need to look around for a better shop so when you need car repairs you will not get ripped off big time.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Actually, it's $385. Both of So Cal dealers charge about that much.

Yes, next time I'll probably just do it myself. I'm pretty handy when it comes to cars anyways, but I just got a little lazy changing my oil. Considering I used to change the oil on all of my other previous sports cars, I don't know why I did not do it to the Diablo.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Ok Guys...

I'm not trying to defend anyones prices, however on a car such as a Lamborghini there is no such thing in the profesional world as an oil change. These cars require what is known as an oil service. In addition to draining the oil & installing the new filter the entire car must be inspected and serviced according to need. All tires must be checked for nails, wear annomolies & bent rims, suspension must be checked, entire drive train & hydraulic systems for leaks, brake pads condition, lights, belts, other fluids & pressures, cooling system operation, running condition & error codes, and then once all is inspected some responsible party must sign off that the car is good to go until the next service.

A Diablo holds almost 14 qts of [email protected] $6.50 qt (approx.) for synthetic oil plus a filter ($25)& tax is approx. $125....

To run thru a full oil service takes even an experienced mechanic in the 2 hour range if not longer in all honesty..and that wouldn't include actually tightening loose belts that require the wing to come off for access.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, thank you JRV. I feel better now. I guess I just keep on bringing back my car to the dealer every 6 months.

Raymond

·
Registered
335 Posts
In all these kinds of situations its really a question of how much you want to get your hands dirty. If you can afford it and want to drop a car off every 6 or 12 months for a oil service/checkup by all means do it. You will certainly sleep better at night -- assuming it is done by somebody that knows what they are doing.
If on the other hand you are really into the functioning of the car. Really get your kicks keeping it tuned up then what JRV and others say is probably overkill for you since you will do those things anyway. The only reason I do not do my oil changes myself is 1. It’s real messy to collect - 14 quarts is a lot and will overflow most auto store pans and 2. at least here in CA disposing of oil is a real hassle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been looking for the oil filter brand and number that is used on the Lambo's but haven't had much luck. Particularly on the Countach and Diablo. Anyone have info? I realize it has been posted many times on this board, but since the changeover, I haven't really gone back to the old site. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Here is what I have:-

Diablo Oil Filters.
UFI 23-110-02 (often listed as simply 110) is what Lamborghini recomend.

But also you can use:-
FIAAM FT 4653
FRAM PH 2842
TECNOCAR R67
and probably a number of US equivalents. Most Autopart stores can cross match one of these for you.

S

·
0 Posts
If anyone in Southern California needs an oil change, our doors are always open to them!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts