Lamborghini Talk banner

Diablo MLA12195

32942 Views 741 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  SPGlass
On it's way to me.

1991 Black on Tan, bought off market thank god.

Attachments

701 - 720 of 742 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Awesomeness!!

· Registered
246 Posts
I'm looking for a Carter motor - any ideas?

· Registered
144 Posts
Great to meet Geno, fun to see others wrenching on their cars too. You missed my Diablo shakedown drive by just 1 day! Ended up taking the SV out for the first time on Sunday for a 10-15 mile drive (to check for leaks or any issues). Oil pressure seems oddly high at startup on these things (like 8 BAR), it comes down as oil gains temp but still seems odd at first.
Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Steering part
Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel Building
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Sky
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

· Registered
246 Posts
Thank you! !
Wow the alcantara interior is sick!

· Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
2,122 Posts
That oil pressure is ‘normal’ on cold start up until warm. It is also why I prefer 5W to the 20W oil my mechanic likes to use: not only does oil pressure stay lower on startup but it gets to operating temperatures quicker.

love your cars! 🏎🏎

· Registered
40 Posts
Love that SV! Glad to see you finally got it into the states after what, 2 years waiting to be imported?

· Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #717 ·
the cams are not oil fed, so there really arent any small oil passages feeding the top end are there? and since the cams are steel on steel, the benfit of a 20w is that more sticks to the top end after shutdown and cool-off providing more lubrication upon start up than 0w or 5w, which hangs on the cams less. I am not an expert by any means. Also that is what [email protected] Exotics has always recommended, and has used since at Burtoni in the early days.

· Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
2,122 Posts
I certainly am no expert because Steve is, but that explanation does not sound right. these engines take like 20 to 30 minutes to cool down and by that time any weight oil has long since dripped down off cams and everything else. A zero or five weight has higher initial lubricity (sp?) allowing it to splash upward and around more quickly on cold start up than a 20 weight oil that in theory needs to warm up before it gets into all of the nooks and crannies. Also, my owners’ manual says 10w40 and my WSM says 5w40!

· Registered
3,516 Posts
I believe we had this discussion around 2 years ago 😀 I believe we are 2 years older and none the wiser.

There’s a pro and con for the various oil weights…
Two purposes of oil.
protect engine from friction at operating temps
protect engine from friction at startup

heavier oil can absorb more heat and be evacuated from engine to oil radiators
Lighter oil can be transferred faster, thus evacuate more heat.

ying vs yang

really can’t say which is better.

· Registered
91 Diablo
825 Posts
The cam journals are oil fed. MIT, I would be concerned if it is that high when it's warm but not when cold. Is your filter new and what filter is it? Could be the relief valve as well. My biggest concern would be a blocked passage but I would think it's more likely something else.

701 - 720 of 742 Posts