Lamborghini Talk banner
361 - 380 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #361 · (Edited)
Happy new year Diablo brothers.

Shortly before my first Diablo got totalled, I was talking to Seth (SPGlass) about making a piece of art for me. For those that don't know, Seth is a artist and engineer who blows glass and creates amazing sculptures. Google him and check it out, pretty amazing stuff. I have always loved blown glass - to me its a combination or art and engineering, the former of which I wish I had talent.

Seith and I went back and forth, and I decided on inverting a design he had for a chandalier that looked like waves. Instead of hanging it over a table, I wanted to put it on a table. We had everything set, then I totaled my Diablo and completely lost track of the project.

My exwife is an interior designer, and a few months ago she popped up and asked what the status of the blown glass piece was. To make a long story short, she bought it for me for Christmas.

Seth I really appeciate you making this for me, its amazing!

Liquid Blue Fluid Natural material Feather

Hood Blue Automotive design Automotive exterior Wood

Drinkware Lamp Electric blue Automotive lighting Space

·
Registered
316 Posts
Happy new year Diablo brothers.

Shortly before my first Diablo got totalled, I was talking to Seth (SPGlass) about making a piece of art for me. For those that don't know, Seth is a artist and engineer who blows glass and creates amazing sculptures. Google him and check it out, pretty amazing stuff. I have always loved blown glass - to me its a combination or art and engineering, the former of which I wish I had talent.

Seith and I went back and forth, and I decided on inverting a design he had for a chandalier that looked like waves. Instead of hanging it over a table, I wanted to put it on a table. We had everything set, then I totaled my Diablo and completely lost track of the project.

My exwife is an interior designer, and a few months ago she popped up and asked what the status of the blown glass piece was. To make a long story short, she bought it for me for Christmas.

Seth I really appeciate you making this for me, its amazing!

View attachment 305177

View attachment 305178

View attachment 305179
Geno , thanks for sharing ! this is really amazing !! @Seth, I follow both Geno and your Diablo page, while enjoying them I also learn a lot from you guys .

I would never thought other than restoring Diablo skill that you already have , you can design so many amazing looking hand blown glass chandeliers. I went to your website , WoW !!!! I was amazed !

Happy New Year To all Diablo brothers

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thank you for the kind words Geno! It's very much appreciated. It really was a great pleasure to create a piece for a Diablo brother. I'm glad things worked out for the artwork as well as your new Diablo.

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,601 Posts
Wow, too many thoughts to put them all down other than just say I’m impressed with all of you including your ex-wife, Geno. That’s a super awesome Christmas present.

The amount of education I have received on this forum and particularly watching experts like you all diagnose and fix problems is tremendous. A giant THANK YOU to all for taking the time to post them, and have a fantastic new year 2022.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #366 ·
while i am waiting for the balance of the engine parts, I am tearing into the doors. In addition to a broken handle, the round end of the pull side of the cable has broken off the small end that goes into the door handle. $1,000 for a few cable mechanism!! NFW.

i found a little brass cylinder of the approximate same size as the broken cable end at the hardware store. i cleaned and splayed the ends of the cable and made a cauldron of solder with a brazing torch, with the cable end inside, then drilled a hole for the pin. Pretty crude, but no way I am spending $1000. I would have just made another cable, but the door latch end is a 90 degree hook thats swaged into the cable....pretty hard to replicate that.

Automotive tire Bumper Hood Wood Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Gesture Finger Eyewear Thumb

·
Registered
612 Posts
Pretty clever. Good work. $1000 is insane! Griplock Systems is a company I buy all of my suspension cables from and I can think of a couple ways their products could be used to remedy this. They sell custom cables with different style ends. Even if you had to splice it in the middle this would be better than spending $1000. Lighting Cable Suspension Systems | Complete Hanging Kits

Be aware when ordering another handle, even new ones are cracked. I ordered one from Eurospares for $350 and it has two hairline cracks in it already.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #368 ·
that is a good source, i was thinking of the splice as well, but through it would give the $2 fix a shot first.

yes, the door handles are a weakness, someone should make a reinforced set. i did this on my last diablo, very crude, but effective and not visible.

Black Wood Rectangle Wood stain Flooring

Hand Musical instrument Guitar accessory Wood Gesture

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·
The leather on my front interior piece jammed against the windshield is shrunken and pulling apart. I tried to stretch it, but it remained hard as rocks, so I took it to Franzini Brothers had had it reskinned. It matches perfect - the pod is original leather (thats been reconditioned with leatherique). Before and after.

Sleeve Comfort Jersey Grey Collar

Window Automotive design Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #370 ·
i refinished the exterior door handles, sanded and painted with SEM Trim Black. I bought new gaskets, which are nice as they have a sticky surface on one side, foam on the other.

I also did the door button. This is a project almost not worth doing its so difficult. There is a good write up on lamboweb. On my first diablo, shimming the bottons so there are flush with the door wasnt required, but on this car it was. This means, not only do you need to thread the little 8mm bolts in there, you need to get a shim on the the other side, which is very tough to do, and all the surfaces up there are like razor blades.

can someone tell me if there is black caulk around the door pull?

Anyway, its finished now and looks great.

Hand Guitar accessory Finger Tool Wrist
Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Grille
Grille Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Hand Guitar accessory Finger Tool Wrist

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #371 ·
I am the high bidder on a 1972 ford country squire station wagon, 429 4 barrel on eBay. I have always wanted to do a low rider on airbags, and this will be a good project. It’s a very rough car, so who knows. Time for some big block American power!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I am the high bidder on a 1972 ford country squire station wagon, 429 4 barrel on eBay. I have always wanted to do a low rider on airbags, and this will be a good project. It’s a very rough car, so who knows. Time for some big block American power!!
Is that the National Lampoons Vacation car? Is it metallic pee? 😂

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #375 ·
I put wrong door lock button in...they are left/right hand specific....the will both fit and bolt in each side, but the cams onteh locks turn left and right...bummer.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #377 ·
one seat has been done, the other hasnt.

I used leatherique restoration oil (RO) and pristine clean.

clean seats
get the seats warm
rub liberally by hand massaging into leather
put into 55 gallon garbage bags and put in hot room or in sun to sweat the leather
clean with pristine clean per instructions,
I did this four times, and the leather just kept getting better and better, the key is to to rub it into all the creases, folds, etc. get it everywhere, then sweat it out and wipe the dirt and grime away, leather softens up. The more time you spend with it the better

at some point someone spray dyed the seats. this put a film of tan over the fabric holes. Color with black ink pen to return to black, thank you seth for the idea.

overall before and after, one seat done one to go - i am going to switch the drivers seat with teh passenger to reverse the wear.

the color is the biggest difference, alot of grime came to the surface. The early cars seats are works of art. There are cracks, but i am going to leave the patina.

Picture frame Chair Automotive design Armrest Comfort

Chair Gas Auto part Beige Automotive design

Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Chair Armrest

Automotive exterior Communication Device Wood Portable communications device Beige

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
one seat has been done, the other hasnt.

I used leatherique restoration oil (RO) and pristine clean.

clean seats
get the seats warm
rub liberally by hand massaging into leather
put into 55 gallon garbage bags and put in hot room or in sun to sweat the leather
clean with pristine clean per instructions,
I did this four times, and the leather just kept getting better and better, the key is to to rub it into all the creases, folds, etc. get it everywhere, then sweat it out and wipe the dirt and grime away, leather softens up. The more time you spend with it the better

at some point someone spray dyed the seats. this put a film of tan over the fabric holes. Color with black ink pen to return to black, thank you seth for the idea.

overall before and after, one seat done one to go - i am going to switch the drivers seat with teh passenger to reverse the wear.

the color is the biggest difference, alot of grime came to the surface. The early cars seats are works of art. There are cracks, but i am going to leave the patina.

View attachment 305925

View attachment 305926

View attachment 305927

View attachment 305929
Impressive! Keep on trucking

·
Registered
612 Posts
That is a phenomenal before and after! Love it! I am still awaiting my order from leatherique. I sent them a piece of leather to color match.

361 - 380 of 399 Posts