Lamborghini Talk banner
321 - 340 of 399 Posts

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,601 Posts
Bonnet lid was removed but intake manifold was in place, and if you read my thread you’ll see that I built a small plywood covered in carpet platform to lay on the engine for my knees. You will literally be kneeling on top of the engine with your arm shoved down to nearly the elbow in between the firewall and the engine. From underneath you can get your hand up in there and I believe having two people at the same time to help guide and hold the clamp is almost essential. This hose number 18 is a ticking time bomb for every single Diablo and Murchielago I believe up until they changed the hose design in approximately middle of the Murchi production run.

oh, before you tighten the clamp use a mirror or borescope to inspect that your hose is actually on the engine pipe firmly! You cannot see this hose no matter what you do without using something to aid vision like a mirror or Borescope. Very poor design from the factory.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
Thank you Leo, I removed the sending unit and ordered the VDO unit you mentioned. $70 vs $350 from Lamborghini.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
I dropped the oil, only to find a stripped oil drain plug, a prior mechanic sealed his ham-fisted work with what looks like liquid nails.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
Today was a day of stripped bolts. I attempted to remove the seats, and just like my last Diablo and a few others on these boards, the allen head bolts stripped. Rust comes in from the bottom and seals them up. 3 of them stripped, so I had to grind them off which sucked.

For anyone removing seats, do it this way: you can remove the seat shells from the frame by using the bolts in the picture. You have to patiently fish around for them on the tunnel side, but they are reachable. Then pull the shells out, and that gives you a fighting chance at not stipping the allen bolts holding the frame to the floor. On the drivers side, with the shells out, I was able to crack them off with an impact socket.

This should save some stripped bolts.

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive carrying rack

·
Premium Member
97.0 Diablo VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,601 Posts
Geno, sorry you are dealing with such issues but you will fix them all, I’m sure of it. A general practice that I use on all cars is to liberally slather every bolt thread and head with Lanacote. It’s sticky and smells funny but it puts on an exterior coating and stops corrosion in its path. That of course is if you can get the bolts out to begin with! As for oil pan bolts like on the Diablos and Gallardos I always use fuel-acceptable thread tape. I’m assuming you will when you get your threads re-threaded? I do not rely just on the crush washer and the tape prevents galvanic corrosion.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thank you Leo, I removed the sending unit and ordered the VDO unit you mentioned. $70 vs $350 from Lamborghini.
Geno , VDO fuel sender is on my next list to replace ( my sender reads Empty tank but actually it’s half tank full) . Do you mind to share the link where did you purchase the sender ? I could not find it , not on eBay either . Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
181 Posts
ttempted to remove the seats, and just like my last Diablo and a few others on these boards, the allen head bolts stripped. Rust comes in from the bottom and seals them up. 3 of them stripped, so I had to g
AFAIK they are NLA from Lamborghini

·
Registered
181 Posts
The condition of the leather and carpets looks not too bad. I would just clean them carefully..! Some Patina is nice!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #339 · (Edited)
Geno , VDO fuel sender is on my next list to replace ( my sender reads Empty tank but actually it’s half tank full) . Do you mind to share the link where did you purchase the sender ? I could not find it , not on eBay either . Thanks in advance !
Here is where I purchased the Fuel Sending Unit

224-011-000-310X - VDO Fuel Dip Pipe Sender - 224-011-000-310X - VDO Instruments - automotive gauges - Vehicle Controls

unless anyone has a better source, there is a 3-4 week lead time.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 ·
I dont think i am going to pull the pans, or unrivit the lower panels. But who knows.

My reason for removing the dash was a couple of reasons
1) cleaning
2) I know there were mice in the car, so i wanted to inspect the wiring and main harnesses
3) a portion of the main dash leather is pulling up, and the small piece against the window is also unglued.
4) i want to trouble-shoot all systems, heater control valve, radio not working and lots of stuff to remove, need to fix dash pod (missing parts), make sure HVAC pnuematic controls are working.
5) easier installiion of long radiator hoses.

321 - 340 of 399 Posts