Lamborghini Talk banner

1501 - 1520 of 1554 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,504
Here my two broken door handles. Failure point is the same place, and one of the handles had been superglued in a prior fix.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,506
When I bought my Diablo the PO had made several mods to it. Strengthening the door handles was one of them. I just tried to get a pic but could not.
He cut a thin piece of aluminum sheeting to the dimensions of the underside of the handle. He polished the edges and glued it to the handle. I wouldn't have known it was there except he told me and warned me to open the handle carefully as they're expensive to break. He likely did this when the interior was apart (totally restored). I'll reach out to him and ask if he retained a template and report back if he did.
jerry, i bet what he did was put a full plate on the bottom (red). If i had a handle that wasnt broken that is what i might do, but even then the bonding surface for the plate is minimal (yellow areas due to casting of the plastic part).

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,507
what i did was cut some "tabs" in the metal piece to fit down into the indentations of the handle, then drilled holes in the plate and cut slight indents in the plastic handle to give the JB Weld something to grip on.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,508
then ground off the slag and away we go. Might seem insane, but you cant see it, and these handles are now up to $500 per unless anyone else has a source.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
977 Posts
Sounds like a fun project and great job, Geno. Did you consider making two plates for the sides of the handle that could then connect both broken pieces? I wonder if there’s enough room in width of that part to have two side pieces formed on it?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,510
That was my first instinct, was to put a slight 90 degree bend to that plate on both sides. That would introduce stiffness (for you engineers, section modulus, someone challenge me on that).

but there isnt room.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You may very well be right about that modification he performed. I recently swapped out the hydraulic on the driver's door and I wish that I would've paid close attention at that time. Next time I'm in there I will attempt to validate.

Now that I've seen the handle up close (in your pics) it makes more sense to beef it up there as there's more tension than the middle of the lever.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,513
Did you replace strut with OEM strut for Diablo or from Murci, I did the latter and was too stiff at first but has relaxed over time to be perfect

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you replace strut with OEM strut for Diablo or from Murci, I did the latter and was too stiff at first but has relaxed over time to be perfect
Funny you should ask, I almost made another post regarding this. I used the Murci strut. The previous owner redesigned the doors' speaker pods to accommodate larger speakers. With the added weight he suggested Murci struts. The pass side already has one and it's perfect. I swapped the driver's side because it was VERY difficult to open and close. I learned a hard lesson about a corroded hinge. After changing it out, I was discouraged to find virtually no change in operation.
I sprayed WD40 with the door in multiple positions over the course of 3-4 days (probable 25-30 times). It became easier but not 100%. I switched to oil and used a syringe and hose for several application over days, next. It's now at 85% and the embarrassing squeak is gone. I plan to hit it with oil one last time and I should be in great shape.

EDIT: I researched this site and others about the hinge issue. I was surprised at first to see the tiny sliver of access on the hinge's edge where you were to administer the oiling. It makes perfect sense to me now as the hinge must be quite robust to serve such a heavy load. The penetrating oil was to free it and the other oil was to treat the issue. 2 very important services required of 2 different products.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,515
if you have corrosion there, pull up the carpet in the front and see the condition of the thin tin pans under the carpet, and the thin sheet metal behind the wheel wells, check for rust...ask me how i know :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Indeed, I did! No rust, thankfully. I attribute the stiff hinge to its former home in the hot desert. I have heard the horror stories and seen the pics of rusted cars. Also, as a NV transplant coming from IA, I have seen rust!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,518
Max McCord shot a few more pictures with the Diablo...here we are in front of a monastery of all places to shoot a car named (inspired) after the Devil

1501 - 1520 of 1554 Posts