Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My [91] diablo had a new [Jaguar] dist cap and rotor last year.

I noticed recently a slightly lumpy idle, car not seeming to get onto all 12 cylinders from cold start for a couple of seconds, some unusal popping at idle. Also a slight rough response to throttle on driving, just as if the throttle bodies were not syncronised. The problem did not respond to an 'Italian tune-up'.

Although they had done less than 3000 miles, with a dealer service in-between, I checked the dist cap and rotor. Lots of 'green' moist stuff in there, obviously a not happy situation. I cleaned it all up, and put the cap back on a bit of 'instant gasket'. I also cut a small hole in the bottom of the dist. cap. Instantly resolved the problem, I was a bit surprised that it hadn't thrown any check engine codes.

There was an amazing amount of moisture in the cap for a car that is never driven/left in the wet, never has the engine washed, and the climate is mediterranean.

This appears to be a weak point, and I am aware of 'distributorless' options, does anyone have experience with converting over to this type of ignition?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes the "hole in the cap" is posted here by me.

I recently did the Jag part conversions and noticed that the stock cap had 2 small holes drilled in it, while the jag cap did not.

Many replied to my question, to go ahead and drill holes in the cap. My car has been running very well. I drilled 2 tiny holes just like the stock cap.

Just another thing to consider...this is a habit I've always done on the lambo and the prior FCar... Because of the hood vents I worry about getting water on the engine. Not that it will "hurt" the engine, but to keep water spots off (I like a clean motor).

I took a canvas type tarp and cut it to fit inside my motor, leaving room for water to drain right in front of the heat shield. Use it every time I wash. Just an extra added precaution from keep water off the ignition parts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts