Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I started 97 roadster and immediately the electric fans started running. I only needed to move it a short distance and shut it off. However the fans kept running and after about 5 minutes I shut them off by removing Master Batt. pin. The next time they appeared to work normally. I don't know if the following had anything to do with fans.
About 2 weeks ago [600 mi] I put a full Capristo exhaust system, including cats, on it. Install went fine but did not put heat shield in. The wing panel does not get very hot, comfortable to touch inside under wing after driving. But in reading a note on lambda sensor, I don't think mine even had them on stock system. There is a valve stem size fitting coming out of each side that does not have connection from the car.
Any Ideas? Thanks much. Dave

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Those Valve Stem sized ports are for the Cat Thermal Probes. Unless you have a Euro Version (I'd bet even Euro's have them) I'm sure you must have the Probes there somewhere. They should be reinstalled to monitor Cat Temp.

This would have no effect on the fans. Sounds like the Fan Relay stuck or the Coolant has become electrically charged due to age.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I was waiting for the "main man" to chime in first, becuase I can only speak about early model Diablos - on car when you shut her down, the fans go off. Period. I had a PCar that if the temp is still hot, the fans will continue to run (with key off) until temp comes down. Not sure if 97's have that feature.

Exhaust - Yes, that's whereyour cat probes (themocouple) are scrwed in. Don't know why the guy who did the install did not put them in. It measures cat temperature and 1) if the temp gets too hot it will give you a check engine light, Cat light, or "slow down" in some cars. If the temp continues to climb even higher, it will shut down that engine bank to prevent fire/damage.
From the cat it goes to a set of control units. Look by the right air intake box and you will see (as described to me) 2 white plastic cigarette pack size boxes. 2 boxes - one for each bank. Going into the box you will see a thin piece of wire...looks like bare stripped wire...follow the wire and it will go to the end of the probe, that should be in your cat. I run straight pipes, but still kept the probes in.

Fans - as stated previosly fan relay or Coolant Temperature Swtich. A faulty coolant temp switch will cause fans to stay on all the time. There are 2 of them, one for each bank. It happend to me, and on my car, it triggered a check engine light.

Suggest if it happens again, see if it's one fan or both sides that stay on. Did u get a check engine light? Also - I suggest you put the heat shield back on. I did my own exhaust (Tubi) and I had to slightly modify the box to get it to fit, but it can be done easily. The box keeps the heat enclosed and your water pipes are outside of the box. Don't know if it's related but you could be putting more heat on the water tubes that are directly in front of the box..

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I was waiting for the "main man" to chime in first,
Frank and others,

Please don't wait for me to answer a question. You & Many others here are more than capable of giving the right answers to a whole encyclopidia full of questions. That's what makes this place so great, so many knowledgable & helpful members.

I actually enjoy just being the back-up...:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much, really appreciate input, invaluable

General thought, Can't say how grateful the I found this site, and for you people who respond. Hope at some point I can be of similar value and help to you and others. Will Check the things you point out, never did get any lights.

fl_355 said:
I was waiting for the "main man" to chime in first, becuase I can only speak about early model Diablos - on car when you shut her down, the fans go off. Period. I had a PCar that if the temp is still hot, the fans will continue to run (with key off) until temp comes down. Not sure if 97's have that feature.

Exhaust - Yes, that's whereyour cat probes (themocouple) are scrwed in. Don't know why the guy who did the install did not put them in. It measures cat temperature and 1) if the temp gets too hot it will give you a check engine light, Cat light, or "slow down" in some cars. If the temp continues to climb even higher, it will shut down that engine bank to prevent fire/damage.
From the cat it goes to a set of control units. Look by the right air intake box and you will see (as described to me) 2 white plastic cigarette pack size boxes. 2 boxes - one for each bank. Going into the box you will see a thin piece of wire...looks like bare stripped wire...follow the wire and it will go to the end of the probe, that should be in your cat. I run straight pipes, but still kept the probes in.

Fans - as stated previosly fan relay or Coolant Temperature Swtich. A faulty coolant temp switch will cause fans to stay on all the time. There are 2 of them, one for each bank. It happend to me, and on my car, it triggered a check engine light.

Suggest if it happens again, see if it's one fan or both sides that stay on. Did u get a check engine light? Also - I suggest you put the heat shield back on. I did my own exhaust (Tubi) and I had to slightly modify the box to get it to fit, but it can be done easily. The box keeps the heat enclosed and your water pipes are outside of the box. Don't know if it's related but you could be putting more heat on the water tubes that are directly in front of the box..

·
Registered
584 Posts
Well..I've only had a Diablo since Christmas and rather say nothing at all rather than give mis-information, ya know?

I am only passing on that which was given to me... you're the one who told me about the control units when I was getting a cat light (with no cats!) lol.

I bow down with humbleness :)

Dave - Yep, great place for information. Plus most things you can do yourself, or if you can't, you will have a better understanding as what may be wrong and have an intelligent conversation with your mechanic.

Keep us posted...in the event anyone else develops the same problem the will be able to search on this site..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts