Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another newbie question - lol.

Early Diablo. Car had stock exhaust with cats gutted. Sounded OK.

Went full tubi, test pipes, muffler, tips. Sound is great...but I get that annoying poping on down shifts. ( know some people like it).

Because it's early model, it's not a cat back sytem (secondary cats)

My questions is: Does anybody make a tuned or silenced test pipe? I've seen them on FCars. Or I'm thinking of putting back the hollowed cats to see if it will "soften" the pop's - or would that be a waste of time?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Test Pipes

Hi

Carrera sport in the U.K does silenced test pipes.. I bought a system from Mike pullen there and the prices are very good and he is very helpfull.

Here is his info.. www.lamborghinisport.com.. Or call him direct on 0044 1444 455100.

They also sell the lower dash pod same as the 2 piece VT pod and it comes with the facia and guage holder..

Thanks

Carlo

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Carlo... I'll check them out. If they have the piple I'm looking for I'll buy it today !

Best
Frank

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Frank

He has no pictures of them on his site.. email Mike directly at [email protected] and ask him to mail you some pictures..

He will advise you on the poping on de acceleration.. I must admit i liked the sound when i first had my car but it gets a little annoying if you hear it everyday..

I went for a straight through system and it is loud but not as loud as i was expecting..

Thanks

Carlo

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Carlo - I went to the web yesterday and sent an email off their regular info link. I'll try the email you gave me as well.

If they don't have what I need I was thinking of making my own. My stock cats are hollowed out and I was going to open them up and weld two baffles in there. Eash one would be about one inch square and place them opposing each other with a 3 inch gap. Should tone it down and not restrict. But that would be "hit and miss" until you get it right. Rather not try to re-invent the wheel, if you know what I mean...

Appreciate the info.
Frank

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Carlo - the email addr on their web site came back as undeliverable..
I resent again with the email you provided. I'll wait a day or to and if no reply would you or James be kind enough to call them to get their correct email?

James - I think it's a combination of unspent fuel and reduction of back pressure. If you run straight headers on any car same thing happens. Most cars do it, but you don't hear it because of mufflers. The key is getting the right balance. Understand how you feel. Many people like it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Help Please..

Could someone in the UK call these guys and get a valid email? Tried all and they come back as undeliverable..

Would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Frank,

the popping may be an exhaust leak somewhere in the system. Have you confirmed it's actually running rich on over run on a Gas Analyzer?? Electronic Inj turns OFF the injectors as soon as the Throttle Closes on Overrun to prevent loading the cats.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JRV said:
Frank,

the popping may be an exhaust leak somewhere in the system. Have you confirmed it's actually running rich on over run on a Gas Analyzer?? Electronic Inj turns OFF the injectors as soon as the Throttle Closes on Overrun to prevent loading the cats.
The car had stock exhaust and hollowed out cats... no pops. Got pops when went to Tubi with test pipes. Had similar situation with PTurbo when I pulled cats and went straight pipes.

Not sure if mechanic has Gas Analyzer or not. I'll be speaking with him in next few days when I'm installing new dash pod.

re: bad injector - maybe... let me ask you this... sometimes I get "lurching" while trying to hold steady rpm. The cars wants to leap forward even though I'm holding the throttle steady.. as though one bank thnks I'm giving it gas while the other bank is holding where it should. Some people say all early cars do this. Only had one check engine light and it was R coolant sensor. Reset light it has not come back on...

At a point right now where I might go back to the set up, only drawback is more weight from the stock muffler (boat anchor).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts