Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change an alternator on a 92 Diablo. Anybody have a Bosch# or replacement?

My workshop book shows Bosch A-120-500-182 and I can't find it anywhere.
The alternator in the car right now has Bosch AL 170 in it, which is used in a Porsche 928GT..QQ I think someone used the wrong alternator last time it was changed and that's the problem.

Appreciate any feedback / info...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is getting crazy... Spoke to Bosch directly and they said the AL170 is for a CT - not Diablo and is wrong application. The original Bosch #with the "A" means it's propritary and can't buy in US other than dealer.

But he did go own on to tell me that a 1988 Ferrari Mondial is the same application.... trying to work that angle now.

BTW the current AL170 alternator is 85amp and the Diablo s/b 115 amp...may be part of the problem...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool... thanks ... I'm sure the Bosch # is 0120469667

Looks like I have to break down and give the dealer $1K. But the good news is that in the future when this one goes, I'll be able to rebuild it because now I know I have the correct one to begin with...

I've called NAPA main office, Bosch main office, etc etc. They all say dealer only in US. There's a guy who wants $500 for a used one in the UK, then when you add freight and all that... ya know...better off just getting a new one and doing it right...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Here's the numbers from a 98 Roadster complete Alt.

Bosch- 0-120-468-004-005

14v/115A........

Porsche part # 928-603-011-02

The Bosch Regulator/Brush Pack part # is 1197-311-021

EL 14V 4C is also on the reg but I doubt it has much significance in this case.

HTH's

JRV

ps: this is rebuilt (actually there was nothing wrong with it, it had a wiring harness issue, and it has been tested and works perfect. I'll take some pics and if the mounting brackets are the same I'll sell you this one for the same price as the one in Europe .

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I have another Alt from a 93, and the bracket mounts appear slightly different.

This part # is 0-120-468-004-005 -- again 14V/115A

and the Porsche part # is 928-603-011-01

I'll take pics of them side by side and post later this evening.

Regards, JRV

just double checked, the mounting points are identical

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a million! No need for pix... I'm on the case.

Here's some interesting stuff...

The old alternator made for a 928 that's in the car was purchased new from Ultimate Motors aka Lambo Orlando. I called them and they said AL170 is correct...they even called their Bosch rep and he said its the right one. Bosch headquarters said the rep is wrong and to have him call the head office to speak to them.... I'm still waiting for this to pan out.

Bottom line, appears Ultimate is selling AL170X (a $300 part) and charging $1,000 for it as though it is the original part....

They are the only dealer doing this... I called about 5 others....

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Both of these Alts came directly off Diablos, one a 93, the other a 98.

They both have the original Bosch stickers still on them and I checked, both regulator/brush pacs have the same part # on them. So the ones playing games is not Ultimate, it's Bosch and Lambo ;) .

But we've always known there was some game playing going on right ;)

BTW: the last Bosch 928 part numbered Alt I bought ( from Bosch) was around $465 plus a $100 core charge, plus frieght both ways...so the real cost adds up quick.

ps: if you want to do a real test use those 928 part #'s and call a Porsche Dealer for some prices ...I think you will be surprised at their prices. ;)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Not really true because Bosch had so few people/shops return cores (because after all the labour of boxing them up, taking them to UPS and paying frieght you got about $2.00 back if you were lucky and didn't actually lose money. So every X I've seen has actually been new, but even if you by chance get a rebuild it still comes with the Bosch 1yr Warranty which includes some type of Roadside assistance.

So there is a lot more to this game than meets the eye!!!

Regards, JRV

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It's very smart of Mike at Bosch to stick with "The Party Line", especially if he wants to keep his job for awhile ;)

This reminds me alot of "The 355's Don't have Valve Guide Issues" that every Employee of Ferrari will tell you, if they want to keep their jobs also ;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
JRV if you have pictures of
Bosch- 0-120-468-004-005 and Porsche part # 928-603-011-02

as well as price, I will enter it in the "equivalent car parts" part of
http://www.lamboweb.com/Car Parts.htm.

Do I understand it that the actual ALT is the same in both a 92 and 98 Diablo. Is it the same part in a 99 and 6L?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hi John,

I brought both Alts home and even the box they came in so that I can take pics and post them up. I haven't had time to take the pics yet but I will in the next couple of days.

The bottom line is these are Porsche 928 GT Alternators plain and simple and can be ordered as a 170X from any good Bosch Supplier. I think the 99 last two digits are 02 while the 93 last two are 01, even though the Regulators had identical numbers. Don't feel bad Lambo guys, Ferrari pulled this same crap with the 348's and 355's with the Denso Alts. Italians like HUGE profits if you guys haven't noticed by now ;).

But who went to the Moon & Mars??? So don't discount the inteligence of Dedicated American Brain Power, and Prowess!!

:)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi John -
Ultimate Motors said they use the Bosch AL 170X in everything from CT to 5.7 to 6.0

You can get it any auto parts (I did google under Bosch AL 170X) for about $350.

Will have more info later today...

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
fl_355 said:
Cool... thanks ... I'm sure the Bosch # is 0120469667
Thats exactly the number of the CT too:

The number of the used Alternator is 0120 469 641 or 0120 469 667 (parts manual May 1985, 25th Jan. 1989 0120 468 005), but as usual one you cannot find it in the official Bosch List as the manufacturer has locked this number.
What you can do is having the alternator rebuilt by a Bosch service, because only the top cover is special to Lamborghini since it's made to fit the car.
But this top plate never breaks, the rest of the alternator is Bosch standard they can replace everything without problem.

Here my story of the broken alternator in the netherlands 800KM from home :(
-> http://www.countach.ch/vivaitalia2003.html

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm throughly confused over all this... anyway may be an exercise of futility as now I'm thinking my problem may only be the voltage regulator...going to change in a few minutes and post.

John - you have mail.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Mostly the voltage regulator is the beginning and then the Diode plate passes away, the rotor will never burn...

In general we identified now the parts an alternator consists of
-Upper plate (special to CT and early Diablo to mount it)
-rotor (general)
-voltage regulator (general)
-diode plate (general)
-pulley (special to the car)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts