Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
McLaren cars have quite a reputation for having sky high depreciation, at least compared to other exotic car brands, including Lamborghini and especially Ferrari, but I know that all cars except for a select few depreciate eventually.

My question is:
In the next three years, will I see significantly different depreciation between a $350K MSRP 720s I purchase for $240K vs a $325K MSRP Huracan EVO that I purchase for $270K?

Not looking to make any money on this purchase, I know it'll be a significant expense, but just want to get an accurate ballpark idea of depreciation to include in my calculations.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Do you expect us to see into the future ??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also take into account the new model that eventually replaces the 720s. You can get an idea by looking at the 570s/gt, I’ve been monitoring them and some with 10-20k miles are nearing 135k. I know it’s a totally different car than the 720s, but the Huracans of the same year and higher mileage still haven’t dipped below 175k.

The other biggest challenge and probable reason for big price drop is the warranty, and possibly not be able to get one or have to pay 5-7k a year for one. Though as I understand it’s currently only 3-4K for the 570s/gt. Likely going higher in a few years.

i just put in my order for a huracan but will be buying a 570s also as my secondary daily. Waiting for those to hit 110-120k for a clean-ish example.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also take into account the new model that eventually replaces the 720s. You can get an idea by looking at the 570s/gt, I’ve been monitoring them and some with 10-20k miles are nearing 135k. I know it’s a totally different car than the 720s, but the Huracans of the same year and higher mileage still haven’t dipped below 175k.

The other biggest challenge and probable reason for big price drop is the warranty, and possibly not be able to get one or have to pay 5-7k a year for one. Though as I understand it’s currently only 3-4K for the 570s/gt. Likely going higher in a few years.

i just put in my order for a huracan but will be buying a 570s also as my secondary daily. Waiting for those to hit 110-120k for a clean-ish example.
If I get a 720s, I'll probably hold until 1 year after the 720s replacement comes out and then trade for a pre-owned version of the replacement. I really like McLaren, and the 720s is an amazing car, but I like the AWD and reliability of the Huracan Evo, especially as a daily driver.

Warranty is definitely a concern, and I've factored that into my calculations, especially for the 720s, where I'll probably spend about 5k a year on warranty.

I'm thinking service costs will be similar?

·
Premium Member
2022 Huracan EVO RWD (Ordered)
6,554 Posts
Just a WAG but if you are not paying MSRP for either vehicle I think the depreciation will not be that severe on either one. The Huracan is indeed a reliable car though, the EVO has new tech so that will be interesting to see if there are any significant issues developing over time. Given your choice and on the assumption the initial depreciation is already baked in I would choose the car that is the most fun for you to drive. Though, full disclosure what drew me to Lamborghini brand and the Huracan model is the reliability. The Huracan is tried and true since its effectively been around since 2014/2015.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have owned a 650S, and now a Lamborghini. When bought new they both depreciate. The Mclaren maybe a bit more but not a deal breaker. The issue with Mclaren is that they discourage any modifications to the car. I put on a carbon diffuser to replace the factory plastic one and was told that could of voided warranty. Lambo is not that picky. Lots of lambo's get modded where it is a no no on Mclaren as well as Ferrari.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
^McLaren is a bit over the top regarding mods. On the Mod scale I am a "1" but if a defuser negates the warranty that should give one pause.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
i think it is hard to base a car you want to buy on what will depreciate less/more.
Both cars are very different.
If you are saying that you will resell in few years and the only way to afford the car is if when you sell that you want to recover the most dollars you should not buy.
My recommendation when weather permits is to test drive both. Which one gives you the most thrill, because that's what it should be about.
NO ONE CAN PREDICT WHAT A CAR WILL BE VALUED AT IN THE FUTURE.
do not buy because of this reason. buy because you love the car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
^McLaren is a bit over the top regarding mods. On the Mod scale I am a "1" but if a defuser negates the warranty that should give one pause.
Just to be fair, it did not void my warranty but it could of if the dealer had reported it according to them. I loved the Mclaren but my performante kicks its ass in all areas.......but mine was a 650S not a 720S.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,865 Posts
From what I have read on a new car the first year depreciation is 40K first year and 5K every year thereafter until it finds its values bottom. I just sold my 580 and this formula was very close.

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Just to be fair, it did not void my warranty but it could of if the dealer had reported it according to them. I loved the Mclaren but my performante kicks its ass in all areas.......but mine was a 650S not a 720S.

Mike
Same difference. ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Same difference. ;)
I totally agree, I just like to be fair. I like to give benefit of the doubt to every one. Back to the depreciation topic. I paid $175k for a two year old 650S with 2,012 miles on it. Listed for $339k. Paid $275k for a 2018 488 spider with 2213 miles that was 18 months old. Listed for 369k. They do take a beating first year or so but level out. The depreciation is why most lease them new and others buy them used. Just my opinion and observation.

Mike

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Spending $270K on a car is an emotional decision. Agree with topcarbon, don't let financials be the deciding factor. Test drive the 720 and EVO and see which one you love more. Buy that one and don't look back. You're already saving coin going used over new. No one here has a crystal ball and no one knows what the market for used exotics will be 3 years from now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Spending $270K on a car is an emotional decision. Agree with topcarbon, don't let financials be the deciding factor. Test drive the 720 and EVO and see which one you love more. Buy that one and don't look back. You're already saving coin going used over new. No one here has a crystal ball and no one knows what the market for used exotics will be 3 years from now.
What Surfah said..........lol. I agree!

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While I don't plan to do any sort of modification, I too am surprised that a diffuser could void the warranty.

It's not really about cost or what I can/can't afford, both are within reason. I'm just balancing the car and experience with the value and the expense, and of course trying to get the most bang for my buck.

There's always that nagging part in the back of the head that knows this money is better spent in the markets...

Part of it comes down to practicality too. I'm going to be driving this car a lot, and so I want something reliable. That's why I've also considered an R8 (AWD, cost) and McLaren GT (more daily suitable than a 720s).

·
Premium Member
16,865 Posts
Anyone looking at the new Artura hybridized Mclaren? Looks exceptionally nice and starts at $225K. Supposed to sound great, I guess we will have to wait and see what a V6 can sound like.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
There V8's don't sound good so can't see this sounding good

Reactions: WD3 and azzurri

·
Premium Member
16,865 Posts
I think it will be fast and modern
I’m going to wait
And see
Yes, it could be a winner. They do just keep getting better looking.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts