Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

A bit embarrassing, but I just came back from several weeks away to find the battery in my Gallardo had gone stone dead and the doors are locked. I tried both my keys, of course, but although they turn the door remains stubbornly locked! My Lambo dealer is ~70 miles away so I would like to avoid towing it down there if possible.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Lass Thompson

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you pull the small cover over the drivers side door handle off, you can access the door key lock to unlock the door manually.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did that

Thanks. As I mentioned above, I've done that. No results beyond needing a new door handle cover. Is there a next step?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Did you try wiggling/jiggling the key some and turning it at the same time. I had the locks on my SUV do the same thing and I have to use this procedure to turn the locking mechanism.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I've tried all the old standards. I guess they use some bit of electricity to operate the locks. . . I can't get into the front trunk to recharge or replace the battery, either. I normally keep a Battery Tender hooked up but neglected to do it after my 'I'm gonna miss you' spin around the neighborhood prior to leaving for several weeks.

Moral: Don't lock your Lambo doors in your own garage.

Anyone know of a way to get into the trunk w/o getting into the cabin, messing up the trunk, trunk lock or paint?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Just connect to your starter terminals under the car. I believe Gvan or somebody did a post about how to do it on this forum, in case you get locked out this way.....

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Starter is under the engine. Just connect two jumper cables to a good battery or use a jumper battery. Once connected, you should be able to open door

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
If you look under your car, you can see one big ole wire (Like 6 gauge) that is connected to the positive terminal of your battery. Set up your positive charger to that wire and your ground to any other ground on the car and juice it up baby!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My sincere thanks to you all!

You've given me (and as importantly, my Baby) a new lease on life!!! What a great community of great folks!

Thanks again,
Lass Thompson

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Everyone. I'm back.

Thanks to the kind information from the above people I have now recharged the battery. However, I still can't get in the car! The closest Lambo dealer tells me the keys need to be re-paired (like a bluetooth phone). I don't know why this would interfere with the physical key working, but apparently it does. To add to the mess, the hand brake is engaged and there's no way to enter the car to release it so AAA can't find anyone willing to tow it from my garage to the dealership. I did get one offer (for over $440) from a non-AAA towing company - but I'm still left wondering why the key turns the door lock in either direction but won't open the door. And. . . if this would keep it from working the ignition if I DID get the door open.

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks,
Lass Thompson

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Never heard about that key de-programming before. Only for the ignition lock. Not door lock.

I thought THE reason for having a physical keyhole, was that you could open the car door if the battery died?

Maybe the lock spring pins are frozen or corroded? Did you spray lube into it?

ANY reputable tow company has dollies that they can put under all 4 wheels, to roll the car out of your garage with. So you are calling the wrong tow companies.

Call a locksmith or local car thief, and get them to slimjim the door open, if it is possible on the Lambo (not sure).

What you are experiencing should not happen to anyone. Stupid problem. Think of what would have happened if this problem caused you to abandon your car at night in the wrong part of town like E. LA, a NY ghetto, or 8-Mile...

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
the remote functions on the key will not work once the battery is depleted. you will need to get into your car to synch the key unfortunately.

i think you should call a locksmith to see if they can open your car.

OR, try a different key. i believe only one key needs to be synched after a power outage.

to synch key, insert key into ignition, turn over the key but not start the engine while pressing the unlock button.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info, y'all. I'm with you, carbuff. Why would you have a key to the car if it doesn't work? Might as well have a cantalope. At least you'd have something useful!

And thank you, djantlive. The key sync should be particularily helpful (once I get in there).

I'll try the slim jim first. If that doesn't work - hello locksmith! In the worst case scenario - I guess I'll bite the bullet and pay the tow company their blood money. . .

Thanks again to you all.
Lass Thompson

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
How is the dealership planning on getting in once your car gets there? Seems like from your description no one is getting in. This is a bad scenario, but that is stating the obvious! I hope you get this resolved without having to tow it.Maybe they could send out a tech.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Why would you have a key to the car if it doesn't work? Might as well have a cantalope. At least you'd have something useful!
LMFAO! Sorry to laugh at your prediciment since I have no useful advice to offer but that was funny.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Everybody -

Just to wrap this up, I got the car towed by a company who specializes in exotic cars (Los Gatos Towing - near San Jose in NorCal) to Los Gatos Luxury Cars, my closest Lambo Dealer. Although they are not related, both are first rate concerns. Now it's up to them to figure it out.

My sincere thanks to all the above contributors. No one derided, the info was good, and the moral support made me feel less the fool. Thank you!

I've learned an lesson from all this which I'll pass along:
When at home keep the battery tender hooked up,
a window rolled at least partially down,
and. . . LOCK YOUR GARAGE - NOT YOUR LAMBO!

C'ya,
Lass Thompson

1 - 20 of 24 Posts