Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone else have a real life track record for a clutch on a similar model? I bought mine just over a year ago and it had 12k on it. The clutch was replaced at about 9k a couple years prior. i have no idea how the former owner drove it, but all indications seem to show it was treated well. I had the clutch replaced at about 17500. the car now has over 22k and all seems ok, but at this rate i don't know what to expect.

Are there any other issues that i should expect coming up? does anyone have a track record for high milage Diablos?

ANOTHER ISSUE: the rims dent constantly. I have had to replace 3 in the past 7 months. does anyone know of a solid replacement? Is there a company that you can recommend for repair?

ANOTHER ISSUE: the engine cover warps on the driver side from heat. I guess this is something i will have to live with. this is probably a situation specific to the roadsters. Any feedback is appreciated

** if your suggestions or comments are location oriented, i am in Chicago

·
Registered
136 Posts
Only from other people i talk to have varied answers on clutches.. But for me i had the same clutch for 14000m inmy last diablo but i had a oil seal break in the box that was making the clutch slip.. When i took the clutch out to look at it there was alot left maybe 10000m.. depends how you treat it.. my SV has done 6000m on the same clutch feels o.k..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Careful with aftermarket clutches, depending on how much you drive your vehicle an aftermarket clutch can wear your ass out! Most of them are soo stiff that you will get cramps in your calf after just a short drive. Replacing the clutch is no small task so it would be a shame to replace it and then be dissappointed with the result that you now have to live with. I have driven many lambos with bertonis clutches in them and all of them were the same, very stiff. Just a thought......
Good luck and remember to let the clutch out and have it start to grab before you start to give it a whole lot of gas. The clutches are very small and easily smoked. I have watched a transport driver smoke one just loading a vehicle, and it was a brand new vehicle. :D

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
blooney said:
I have driven many lambos with bertonis clutches in them and all of them were the same, very stiff.
I cannot tell the difference between my 99 roadster's original clutch and my upgraded Burtoni clutch.

-mick

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think they are a little stiffer, I know it wears me out quicker. But I have had the ability to get out of a vehicle that has one in it and directly get into one that does not and I can tell the difference. Could be just different setups but also I have not been in anything with a Bertoni clutch that dates after 2003 or so......
I could be sadly mistaken on the newer stuff :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
blooney said:
But I have had the ability to get out of a vehicle that has one in it and directly get into one that does not and I can tell the difference.
My side by side was done with another '99 roadster while I was deciding on what clutch. Just could not tell the difference.

blooney said:
Could be just different setups but also I have not been in anything with a Bertoni clutch that dates after 2003 or so......
I could be sadly mistaken on the newer stuff :confused:
Mine was done 20 months ago (early 2003). I have no idea if they have changed over time... could easily have.

-mick

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
91 and a 98 sv

hey guys .. i wanted to say that every ones driving is difrent so the wear out time wouldnt be the same for 2 people.. but when i first got my 91 diablo the clutch was realy heavy and it gave me leg cramps all the time. and i used to wear the cluch out very quikly.. it wasnt a matter of not knowing how to drive manual. its was that a diablo was very hard to drive.

i also noticed that the car would run perfect for several months and then all of a sudden allot of thigs went wrong in the car and needed to be replaced or fixed. but thats just what u live with when u own a diablo...lool

now when i bought the sv, it was like driving a lexus compared to the 91.. big huge improvment in the car.. it was more dependabel..

·
Registered
23 Posts
hahaha no doubt about it abunawafff, the SV is a lot more refined and a lot of fun to drive.

mick-
I have never experienced a Bertoni on a newer Diablo either so that could be the experience also. My experience was with the older pre-94 cars. Those clutches were tuff to drive even stock, so that could be the reason. :wave:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts