Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems this yellow Diab is always in a bad fix. Can anyone shed light on this problem, maybe someone here's had it before?

https://youtu.be/WbpSwK-7w1U

To sum up the video, there's a mechanical issue with Dahm's '01 (Audi) VT. One side of the exhaust is much hotter than the other, the check engine lights are not lit while the engine is running, the engine continues idling at 2K RPMs after warm up, and there's a constant "dehdehdehdehdehdeh" sound from the engine. Any clues? I was hoping to help a fellow Lambo enthusiast.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've mostly seen speculating and guesses thus far, every bit helps until a solution is found. Thanks for the input!

·
Administrator
5,168 Posts
CEL or not, I would get a OBDII scanner and see if there are any codes. But I would be surprised if the high idle and noise are related.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
A friend with an 03 Murci had one side of the engine running too hot, and it turned out to be a bad coil on that side of the engine.

It was causing a dash light for the temp sensor of the catalytic converter. Do these 01 Diablo's have a thermocoupler in the cat? He did not have a check engine light.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've no experience with any Lamborghini, thus no idea. I'll try getting him to check out the thread asap though. Thanks, Stimpy!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Maybe check the carter motor, one side might be hanging up causing bad idle and hot bank?

Repairing The Carter Motor in a Diablo

you might be able to just remove the top engine shroud and look to see if the carter motor position is different from one side to the other.

Wild guess, I have an early diablo with no carter motor, I just remember reading about it a while back.

the obvious advice is don't drive or let the car idle until you get it properly sorted..

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I guess he could always take
It to a real technician who can diagnose his problem instead of a bunch of people he does not know try and fix it
I don't
Know, $300k car and does not take it to get it fixed but makes a video to have the problem talked about strikes me
As odd.
I guess I'm just old school

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
It to a real technician who can diagnose his problem instead of a bunch of people he does not know try and fix it
I don't
Know, $300k car and does not take it to get it fixed but makes a video to have the problem talked about strikes me
As odd.
I think it's a great idea to share what problems you are having to get advice even if you plan to take the car to a mechanic. It's a good education for everyone if nothing else, and helps map what are common problems and solutions to those problems.

My friend had his Murci at a shop for 3 months with them changing everything under the sun except what is a well known problem on the forums with early Murci's: The coil packs.

It wouldn't be a well known problem if we all just took our cars to mechanics and didn't share info throughout the troubleshooting process.

I wish more of the old timers would learn to take and post videos instead of trying to describe noises. The young ones get it. I am not a young one, but I am not stuck in old ways.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I don't
As odd.
I think you are new school. And I wonder if you understand what this forum is about.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Rarely there are anything wrong with coils, ever, but ignition module on top of that is more usually burned, 20$ will fix one and I keep one for spare with the car.

·
Registered
LP640
2,207 Posts
Rarely there are anything wrong with coils, ever, but ignition module on top of that is more usually burned, 20$ will fix one and I keep one for spare with the car.
Diablo 6.0 has ignition coils that are notorious for failing. When they fail they don't burn all the fuel, which gets dumped in the exhaust and superheats the cats, therefore creating a very hot exhaust for that bank.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Diablo 6.0 has ignition coils that are notorious for failing. When they fail they don't burn all the fuel, which gets dumped in the exhaust and superheats the cats, therefore creating a very hot exhaust for that bank.
Why would it idle at 2k though?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Switch the (two identical) LIE computers (behind the passenger seat) and see if the cold exhaust switches side too.

Laust

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Throttle valve balance bitween banks are balanced with manometer.
It could also be auxeliry air valve issue, but vacum imbalace will reveal that.

That is true, my bad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts