Lamborghini Talk banner

Custom Gallardo Sub Box by Bassforms

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  samtheclip 
#1 ·
So, I've been searching and searching for a nice speaker box that is custom built for the Gallardo but one that could also be easily removed if I wanted. Unfortunately, I don't have any local audio shops within a reasonable driving distance that are capable of making a nice "high-end" boxes but... last week while searching Google I finally found the perfect box (see pics below). The only problem was that every retailer I found that said they stocked it, didn't. I was even told that this model was discontinued over a year ago and that I was out of luck. Well, after doing a little more research my luck finally changed!

I learned that the company (Bassforms) that produced these boxes were still in business and were still "thumping" out a lot of custom boxes (pun intended). So, I shot them an email from their online contact form. I was shocked at how quickly I received a reply from them. I spoke with a great guy named Daniel. I was really interested in their optional carbon fiber overlay box. The regular f-glass box retails for $995 (don't believe the places that have it listed on their out of date website for $675). Of course I wanted the carbon fiber model which adds roughly $750 to the price tag (again, don't think you'll get it done for $300 like some sites show). Of course there will be those who say that's way too much money and that wrapping it with vinyl CF look is more cost effective. Ha! That's just an opinion and we're all entitled to our own. I'm not one of those who has endless pockets either. I'm on a tight budget and need to save everywhere I can just to be able to afford my G but for me, I didn't buy my car to have stickers put on it... I wanna see those glossy fibers glisten in the sun!

Now, I'm not trying to say that this is the worlds best sub box, I'm just saying that it's a great box for the money and that Bassform's customer service has been second to none. That being said, I did come across some amazing custom box/amp installs when I was searching Google but I also learned that some of those setups were 5-6x more expensive. Plus, I wanted a nice high-end box that looked like it could have been factory installed yet could easily be removed.

Since I'm rather new here and don't know all of the rules I wont post Bassform's contact info within this post (unless somebody thinks that's OK to do) but feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll gladly give you Daniel's personal email address/phone number.

I should also mention that in no way, shape or form am I associated with this company. In fact, I never knew they existed until last week. It's just that being a business owner myself I get excited when I find a company that provides high quality products along with top-notch customer service.

Please note that the pictures below are samples I got from Google, these are not photo's of my actual box. I wont have mine ready for a couple more weeks. I'm still debating on which speakers to go with. I'd love to install JL 8W7AE-3's but due to the limited room behind the seats you can only go up to a 5.5" deep sub. I was considering having custom rings made to pull the speaker out more bit that would ruin the amazing look of this box so I'll probably end up with a couple 8W3V3's and similar 4" speakers.

Here's some spec's on the box:
Material: Fiberglass Enclosure
Accepts two 4" and two 8" speakers sealed (able to be mod'd for 2-10's)
Finish: Painted Black
Product weight: 14.5 kgs / 31.9 lbs.
Shipping weight: 52Lbs
Base price Black finish: $995.0

If anybody else here has this box please post your pics here. In fact, anybody is welcome to post pics of their custom boxes here (for Gallardo only plz). Be sure to list as much detail as possible too. I'll post my pics soon.

Cheers!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This in my opinion is terrible. It takes up the entire rear. When looking at options for my Gallardo, I was either going to go with a single 10" shallow sub behind the passenger seat or an 8" in the passenger footwell. I opted for the latter, and my custom box is being made as we speak. The ECU behind the footwell needed to be moved, so a custom bracket had to be made, and then a mold was taken of the space to ensure the enclosure had the proper amount of space that the sub I chose required. This will make my install completely stealth, I won't lose any room at all, and it will sound incredible. Good luck with what you choose.

#4 ·
Well, as you said yourself, everybody is entitled to their own opinion but if you reread my post I stated that getting a custom box wasn't an option for me locally. Plus, I wasn't interested in wasting my time dropping my car off so they could make molds, custom brackets, etc. I simply went online and bought my custom box with the click of a button. As I stated in my post, I also wanted something I could remove & this unit is perfect. If you stop and think about it for a minute you're not even comparing apples to apples. You're talking about getting a custom job that's permanently installed vs a removable pre-fab enclosure (which has 3 more speakers & looks amazing). From what you've explained in your post it sounds like you're paying a lot more to have all this custom work done and that's only for 1 sub. Where as this box has 2 - 8" subs and 2 - 4" mids. Again, this is what "I" wanted. I'm sure if you as 5 different people you'll get 7 different opinions - LOL!

As for this box taking up the entire rear, I'm not sure about you but there's not enough room to store anything behind the seats anyway. OK, maybe a bathing suit and towel but my gym bag wouldn't even fit back there so it's all useless space to me.

You stated that you're custom enclosure held 1 - 8" sub. Well, personally I feel that is a waste of time. If I'm going to take the time to make some mods to the audio system I want some major change and I wanted more than one speaker. Again, this all comes down to personal preference. I'm not looking to be a teenie-bopper with some bass rattling car, I just want the highest quality sound I can get and adding only 1 speaker wasn't going to do that for "me." If you feel adding 1 - 8" speaker makes world of difference, more power to ya. I wish I could settle for something simple like that but I'm a bit of an audiophile myself. ;)

Before this thread turns into some pissing match over who has the best system please reread the last sentence in my original post. I only created this post to share with others the build I was doing and the great customer service that I had received from Bassform's. I think using the word "terrible" was a little over the top but then again, that's your opinion and everybody has their own. I just think yours is "terrible." Ha! Ha! YES, I'm just kidding. :)

Cheers!

#3 ·
Im not a fan of that sub box although I think it would sound amazing. I like having a bit of storage behind my seats as I take it away alot. JR mint please keep us posted on your install. Thx

#5 ·
Terrible was the wrong word to use! I do enjoy having the space back there as it does fit a number of things. As far as cost, the custom enclosure was $500 which consists of a hybrid of wood/fiberglass and the sub I chose was around $300(Hertz ES200.5) it's a 250 watt RMS sub which I thought was plenty! I went with a Hertz HDP 4 amp, and Hertz Hsk 165xl components in the door. All in all it is a very very quality package. Remember, the interior is very small, so adding many more speakers is overkill. I will upload lots of pictures in a new thread once it's ready!

#6 ·
Sounds like you're going to have a very nice setup. Again, ones idea of overkill is merely an opinion - Ha! Ha! ;) As much as I wanted deeper sound I was also looking for more mid-range and I'm hoping the 2 - 4" do it. Make sure you post pictures once it's done. I'd love to see it and I'm sure everybody else would too. Good luck with the build!

For those of you who are interested, I spoke with Daniel from Bassforms this morning. I was telling him about my post on this forum and said he'd be willing to offer anybody on lamborghini-talk.com a discount which I thought was nice of him. If anybody wants his contact info just PM me.

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.