Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was hard work but finally we got it out...

http://www.countach.ch/HeadGasket/

Next is to remove the heads and check what is wrong with the gasket, then cleaning, replacing all hoses, insulating the engine compartment and finally install it it a few weeks...

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Those are the ports for the spark plugs. Those are great pictures. Please keep us posted. Good luck and hope to see some more video of it soon.

·
Registered
898 Posts
WOW! Great shots Raymond!

I never realized how much you had to nearly stand the engine on end to get it out of the engine compartment! I bet you wish the engine came out from under the car like our Jalpa's? :)

I must have missed some of your previous posts. Why did you have to remove the engine? Is it to install your new Lorini exhaust, or did you have an bad head gasket?

Thanks again for the great pictures!

Mike
Jalpa #12071

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
jalpa_mike said:
I must have missed some of your previous posts. Why did you have to remove the engine? Is it to install your new Lorini exhaust, or did you have an bad head gasket?

Mike
Jalpa #12071
Leaking Head Gasket... the Larini headers were just a good opportunity once the engine is out.
But they should be delivered now, almost 8 weeks since I ordererd them, but you know when you ask they will arrive the next morning...

You have to know how to remove special things, for example the 4 screws of the central engine mount. three screws you can access through a little opening in the side wall, the fourth you have to come from the gearbox and put your arm along the oilsump.

I can tell you it was an adventure, for installing we will be better prepared, now we know the traps... One was the water hose for the heating at the firewall.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I dread the day I have to do that.
Fortuately, I paid someone to do it last year and have ALOT of work done while it was out.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Countach Engine Removal

Raymond,

I wish I knew what you know now. I will be pulling the engine in my 86 Countach shortly and I am curious about what kind of obstacles you ran into. I know it is a job and I would appreciate any tips you can give me. Also, can you tell me where the reverse light switch is on the engine? I recently installed a Painless wiring harness and it is one of the last things I have to connect.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The reverse light switch is at the gearbox, left side approx. where the firewall is, two wires.

If you want to pull your engine you need a lift, the car has to be half a meter above ground, otherwise the gearbox will scratch on the floor, then you need another engine lifter which can pull the engine high enough.
And finally you have to attach the engine the way you can tilt it from almost vertical to horizontal.
The factory improved their own way heavily during the years, here on an injected 25th Anniversary:

here the construction Rico Tenni of www.valtellina-automobili.com invented:

On the Diablo it's much easier...

Finally he invented this little useful thing:

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Countach Engine remove

Thanks for the tips, I would have started with one lift and gotten stuck since I did not have a 2nd lift. The pics also are informative.
Thanks again,

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Got some new pictures of the partly dismantled engine and engine bay
http://www.countach.ch/HeadGasket/

John is it normal that they used so much of this red stuff in the factory?

Looks horrible, specially because I found pieces of this red crap in the engine oil when we dropped it last time...

The new gasket made by Victor Reinz are much better than the old italian!
They have a wide fire ring compared with the old.

You can see something has fallen once into cylinder 7

Opposite on the head:

We unmounted the left side (driver side) till now, there was no signs of a leak, it's on the right bench, stay tuned till next week...

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Meanwhile I begun to clean and detail some parts like the thermostat housing...

before:

after 1 hour

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes and no, it's the red silicone they used but not the stuff which is on the gasket, the silicone on the gasket is still there and blue.
I was kind of shocked when I saw the partly covered water passages :eek:

Beyond this the engine looks quite OK, but lets wait till the right bank is unmounted, one cylinder was not running, that might have been the reason why I had fuel in the oil. Definitely I had CO in the water, so somewhere is a leak.
I hope it's the right gasket, the worse thing could be a broken cylinder liners... :(

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
For not being bored over eastern I will polish the carburrettor velocity stacks...

First have done, unbelievable the brews and bad casting

First one finished

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some updates...

Ready upper part of the thermostat housing:

And the lower part will be next:
First:

Step1:

Step2:

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I finalized the lower part of the thermostat housing, it's not as perfect as the upper but sufficant...

The moulding was really much worse than the upper part and there are many more edges, so I gave up and leave it like this:

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Today the Larini Systems Manifolds arrived, I ordered them unpolished since once they are in the car you cannot see them any longer...

Meanwhile also the right Head is removed, there was the problem, one cylinder did not run properly and lot of corrosion at the first 2 cylinders, I found also a small nail in one water channel...

Funny and typical Lamborghini, only the input valves have seals although in the parts manual also the exhaust valve guides should have seals...

1 - 20 of 176 Posts