Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm in the UK, and on November 6th I'm picking up a 1987 rosso red Lamborghini Countach 5000 QV with 18,000 miles on the clock. She seems to be in pretty good condition. All the electrics are working fine and she fires up nicely. Exhaust is a little smokey until she's warm and then it's totally clear. Idling is smooth. I have obtained a 12 month warranty (not sure what it covers yet) and have asked the dealer (Sant Agata Classics) to check all the rubber parts (bushes, hoses etc) for cracking, splitting and wear and replace as necessary. The car hasn't been used all that much in the last year or so. She's also getting a new battery and alarm, immobiliser and tracker. She has a new clutch, new Yokohama tyres and has just had a major service at Carrera Sport in Haywards Heath, West Sussex. One thing I've noticed is the wheels seem to sit at a slightly odd angle to the body, like the tracking is out or something. Although during driving she seems fine. She has all the required Lambo dealer stamps in her service book. First Portman, then Lamborghini London and more recently Carrera Sport.

Does anyone have any advice or comments on this? Are there any things I should know as a new Countach owner? Things to look out for to avoid expensive trips to the garage?

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Jim,

If all you described is true, just drive... with every mile it will run even better.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No need to worry about that! I'm planning on putting about 5,000 miles a year on her clock.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I bought my 84 C/T at auction in UK last May.

The only thing that has bugged me since has been oil leaks, then a burst oil pipe.

Get underneath and check, and then check again, then check once more !! that all the hoses are sound, especially the ones from the oil thermostat to the oil rad.

The wiring is like italian spagetti that has had a bad hair day, the car underneath is made from nothing more than pop rivets and self tapping screws !! ( thrown together with some glass fibre )

Then when you have paid your money over go and get a Quicksilver Exhaust, the sound is unbelievable.
Then take the thing out and drive it like a demon !! it is bloody fantastic !!!!!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, oil leaks don't sound too expensive but I'll do as you say. Hopefully the '87 model is a little better than the '84 ( I would imagine that 3 years manufacturing experience would give rise to one or two mods) though. Most Countach owners seem to agree their cars are quite reliable generally bar one or two little niggles which let's face it you have to expect from a 17 year old car with 17 year old tech.

I'm determined to look after her properly - she'll be regularly serviced at Carrera Sport (they know her well already apparently, having carried out two or three services on her before) and washed and checked over every week.

Does anyone know if there is a maintenance guide available? Kinda like a Haynes Workshop Manual?

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Hi,
I am afraid there is no Haynes type manual for the C/T. There are many books which show cutaway´s etc which make life easier.
The main big service is at 15,000 miles but the annual 5000 one is not so expensive.
Cannot stress enough about the leaks, for instance on my C/T to change the pipes from the engine to oil rad in the front, you have to take the side of the car off. !! now imagine what that is going to cost. I understand that your oil rad is just near your water rad on the right side, this makes this job a lot easier.
Make sure you get the original tool kit, to buy one from e bay you will have to pay 2000 USD !!
You cannot get tyres for the spare wheel any more so make sure that is OK.
Most C/T´s have some small oil leaks, these are not a problem by the way. When you take her out for a test drive INSIST that you get the oil temp over 75 dg to make sure the oil thermostat opens. Other than a very few mods there is very little difference in all the C/T´s ( except the valves etc ) most of the rest are cosmetic bits and pieces.
Make sure the aircon works really well, even in the UK you are going to need it, mine took a while to sort out. By the way mine had only done 8000 miles in 20 years !
Try to find out the previous owner, get the chassis number and make sure it ties with the engine number, then check out it´s history via http://www.lp112.com/Lambo/Lamborghini.htm
Your wheel comments worry me, they should be dead straight, anything down there is going to be VERY expensive and it might not be possible to get the parts.
Is the registration KKG 706, this was on sale a while ago and I was offerd it, I was sent the pictures and it was sitting at a strange angle so I left it.
Hope all goes well, if it is a good one they are fantastic !!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The registration of this one is B1JLL so no I don't think it's the one you refused. I'll ask the dealer about the wheel angle, it's probably nothing to worry about.

The car is kept in a carpetted heated showroom and when it was moved I certainly didn't see any oil puddles on the carpet...

I'll also ask about the toolkit.

Thanks for your reply

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Looks like, from your web site, I should have sold you my black on black one !!

My office is in Alton where I used tolive only 6 miles from you. Small wold

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hehe for some reason I had to have a red one. Dunno why. In my fevered mind, red is the only colour for a supercar.

If you're so nearby, maybe we should meet up and do the strokey-chin thing regarding our respective cars over a quiet pint.

L

·
0 Posts
Just make sure the clutch works properly, because I hear it's around $10,000 for a new one. (mostly labor)

Great car, have fun!

Cheers,

Fred

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some oil leaks can be expensive. I had two small ones that I wanted to get sorted - but one of them involved having the engine removed in order to access the seals. Total cost was about £3000.

p.s. I am in Kent, which is not a million miles away, so if you are ever over this way, give me a shout. Also, if you feel like joining the UK Lambo club, they have quite a few meets in the south of the country where you can meet a few like minded people. For joining details visit their site at LCUK

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My dealer has quoted me £2,000 for a new clutch, but this Countach has a pretty new one and I'm going to be treating it with oodles of respect so hopefully it will last a while.

Regarding the LCUK I will be joining up ASAP! :wave:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts