Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lights on the Countach are...odd.

When I press the "sidelight" button the headlights pop up and the outer lamps come on dimly, but so do the lights in the covered pods on the front. If I press only the "main lights" button the headlights don't pop up but the lights right at the bottom in the front spoiler come on.

If I have BOTH buttons depressed, the bottom spoiler lights are off, the lights in the covered pods are on, and the outer headlights (which pop up) are on brightly.

Also I've noticed during the day the bottom spoiler lights are used for "flashing", which makes sense.

Is the above the correct lights arrangement or is something screwy? Seems weird that the headlights would pop up when I only need the sidelights in the covered pods. *shrug* :confused:

Can someone explain all this in plain English for a thick person's consumption please? ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your baby has electrical gremlins.

The correct operation for the switches are:
headlight switch- raises the headlights and turns them on.
sidemarker switch- only operates the parking lights. no effect on the headlights.

My advice, have stiff drink or 2, get relaxed, then drop the electrical panel under the glove box and look for signs of hacks, splices, loose wires, blown fuses, melted wiring. There is a 90% chance that the problem lies there.

I have had several electrical issues with the headlights and it has taken me alot of time to understand the root problems. The fixes were relatively easy. BTW- I am an electrical engineer and it was no fun! good luck with it.
Dennis

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm sounds like I might have the two buttons mistaken.

If you read my message with the two buttons swapped then it seems to be as you describe it.

What effect does it have on your Countach when you have BOTH buttons depressed? And are the "parking" lights the ones right at the bottom in the spoiler?

I certainly have one button that operates these parking lights, and another button that raises the headlights and puts them on dimly and also puts the sidelights on. With BOTH buttons on, the parking lights are off and the headlights are up and on brightly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Taoist said:
Hmmm sounds like I might have the two buttons mistaken.

If you read my message with the two buttons swapped then it seems to be as you describe it.

What effect does it have on your Countach when you have BOTH buttons depressed? And are the "parking" lights the ones right at the bottom in the spoiler?

I certainly have one button that operates these parking lights, and another button that raises the headlights and puts them on dimly and also puts the sidelights on. With BOTH buttons on, the parking lights are off and the headlights are up and on brightly.
No Jim, something is definately wrong with that. You can think of the two switches being identical, but the main light switch adds headlights. I have them both pushed all the time. Usually, during twilight I run the parking-light-only switch because the front white running lights are bright enough to make the car visible. Once it is dark enough that I need road illumination I press the main light switch, the headlights come up, then I disengage the parking light switch.

The lights in the nose (above the chin spoiler) are "flash to pass" lights and are suppposed to flash on with a backwards pull on the turn signal stalk (they do not stay on).

I would have that beer or two that Dennis mentioned and have it gone through. BTW - my Countach guru tells me they have been seeing a lot of age related failures in this part of Countach wiring, and that the factory set-up put a lot of high draw circuits through too few small relays. Either have it gone through and upgraded, or expect increasing problems.

Good news - it is not terribly expensive in the grand scheme of things to have it done.

Good Luck-

Steve L.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Argh, I'm just confused now.

I've got the following lights.

D. Outer Headlamp (Dim filament)
M. Outer Headlamp (Bright Main filament)
F. Inner Headlamp (Very Bright, Full Beam)
S. Sidelight (contained in clear covered section halfway down the front next to indicators)
B. Spoiler Light (right at the bottom in the front spoiler)

I have two buttons to control lights (1,2), plus high-beam/flasher switch (3).

If I can remember all this correctly, I get the following.

Buttons/Switches Lights on

1 B
2 D,S
1&2 M,S
3 B
3&1 B
3&2 D,S,F
1,2&3 F,S,M

I shall check my user manual tonight to see if that can shed any light (hoho) on this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jim,
the turn signal stalk controlls the "flash to pass" lights. These are the 2 bright lights in the front lip of the spoiler. When the stalk is pulled to your chest it will turn the lights on. This switch position is momentary, meaning it is self-returning. This middle position is also the "dim" headlight position. Push the stalk to the dashboard and the "high beam" headlights are turned on.

The 2 dash switches are control the 1)sidemarker lights and 2) headlights. They operate independant of eachother, so having one switch on, does not affect the lights controlled by the other switch.

I also use my lights exactly as Steve described. One problem I haven't yet fixed is that one relay is driving the high beams. This is alot of current and it is overloaded. If I leave the high beams on, within 10-15 minutes there is a distinct electrical smell. So the relay or wiring will be upgraded.
Dennis

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Sounds Like a bad Ground

If the side lights are coming on dimly and other switches not working properly...could be a bad ground . Jump each switch ground wire, with a wire directly to ground. Could explain and solve your problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are the small amber lights on the side of the car in front of the front tires suppose to blink with the turn signals or be on solid with some switch?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts