Lamborghini Talk banner
681 - 700 of 1270 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,848 Posts
I got it. I wish I could get that for mine. My dealer is telling around $175K for my 2018 Spyder with 1600 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #682 ·
Sorry Ochtech. I misunderstood the post. Since I was the original op and had encouraged everyone to take the PPP funds, I assumed it was directed at me. I like your posts and insights. I am usually doing level 13 on the sttairmaster while doing these posts. Gives me something to take my mind off the fun I am having on the Stairmaster. Since I don't wear my reading glasses while working out sometimes I make mistakes. (It was too easy to read the large print. ) I do believe there were people that took the money with no need whatsoever. My Neighbor works for a company that took 750K , cut hours and made employees use vacation time to get full paychecks just so they could show to be doing it correctly. We have been hurt but are recovering. I just hope they don't start all this crap again. I need to buy another development but am still very apprehensive about the next 4 months.

·
Registered
567 Posts
My opinion is there always will be some guys that will do the wrong thing.
And there others that do everything by the book.
But the truth is no business man or woman wanted to go through this covid climate.
Iam glad i sold my company 10 years ago....i had 30 employees ....and i sold merchant services .
If i owned today i would have been pulling my hair out....to be honest.
Because in the merchant services business i had we had a lot of brick and mortar business.
It would had been ugly ...
I hope for all the group here that your businesses will get back to normal.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 ·
Probably nice to have the company sold. Mine has been for sale. For every real buyer there are 10 flakes trying to use all investment capital to finance the whole thing. My company is very profitable so I have no need to sell but just really want to play for a while. How long did it take to sell yours? The problem with mine is it is too big for an SBA loan but too small for big corporate money. I even thought of doing an IPO and getting a management team in place but I would still be involved. I want to wake up in the morning and say "what am I going to do today" My son is still too young to take over for several years so that is my other option but it means waiting another two or three years.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Lee to be honest it wasn’t easy to sell a company like the one i had it was tough.
But the buyer saw the value....and saw potential that my company had but i couldn’t grow no more
organically.
So i either had to partner with a money person or sell and i chose to sell
the buyer did all there due digelence for about 3 months and once they saw the it was all
good we completed th sale.
Lee what type of business are you in?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #686 ·
I am a land developer and have commercial rental properties. I buy large tracts of land, build the roads and infrastructure and sell the lots to builders.I have about 40 regular builder customers and just go from one development to the next. We own all the machinery , build or own roads and install all the water systems and infrastructure with our own employees.It is very profitable. (Like 40% net). It will make as much money as I am willing to work.. The problem is that I just turned 60 and really want to play. I have this great business that makes tons of money but don't have the motivation to make it a lot larger. I have been self employed for 36 years so have probably worked two lifetimes. I could retire right now but cant make myself walk away from a cash cow. My son is only 17 so needs some time before he could take over. I just cant see walking away from a business that is very successful. I really don't want to wait 3 more years for my son to get old enough to run it. He will also need lots of help until he grows up some and learns enough to run a company. I tried working part time but the phone always rings and disrupts my day off so gave up on that I know it seems crazy but anyone that has been self employed for many years understands. So there is my dilemma. I may try to find a really good business broker. The one I have has been working for a year and brought lots of customers. Everyone wants it but cant swing the amount of cash I want which is very reasonable for the earnings numbers. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
16,848 Posts
Lee, we are not too far apart. I’m a contractor and I’m sure I’m smaller scale than you. I can make as much money As I want relative to the amount of work(stress) I’m willing to endure. I have lots key people and supervisors but I have found out the hard way long ago to trust no one completely. I would have cashed out long ago, but I’ve gotten comfortable with spending money.

However, there is one big difference, when I was your age it balls out, take risks, build a huge backlog and bank it. Now at almost 74 I don’t want the stress or the sacrifice that comes with it. I have given myself 2 years to wind It down. Now if I can just stick with my plan.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #688 ·
Russ, I figured you and I were cut from the same cloth. I understand completely your situation. I sold my building business 4 years ago because I was sick of all the customer problems. What a change in people in the last 20 years. The stress got just crushing . There were days when I just wanted to swim out in deep water and go under .I could never really be serious about that but it made me realize that it was killing me. I sold the company for way less than it was worth but did not even care. Nothing is worth feeling like crap all the time. I have the same problem with trust that you do. I have been burned so many times by people close to me that now find it difficult to trust anyone but my wife and kids. I think age should be adjusted for jobs. Contractors and builders age probably two or three years. (like dog years) I am pushing 80 LOL. I bet you use the lambo as a stress reliever. Whenever you want to rip a customers head off , a little while pushing it on the back roads and...……...shazam you feel better. For me it is more working on them than driving. Something really calming about working on a very difficult problem. If you are going to step out in a couple of years , you should put the company up for sale. It should bring 3 to 4 times earnings plus assets. It may take a year or two but will give you a perfect step out and a pocket full of cash. I don't want to really retire, just play mad scientist. My problem is I like to spend money, travel and do whatever I want. To really retire I need a pretty large number to live the way I like. I am building warehouses and shops to lease that will provide a very healthy income stream. I was going to build a strip center but retail has been dropping so I put that on temp hold. If I sell the dev business , I can build 6 or 7 more buildings and have a great retirement stream. Lee PS we are not that large just a big fish in a little pond.

·
Premium Member
16,848 Posts
Spot on as usual Lee. You sound very much like that little voice in head that keeps me sane. Always good to know you are not alone!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Lee and rusk....i’m a little younger i’m 50.
But been a electrician since 17....i was lucky enough to create a merchant business when i was 30 with a friend.
We grew the business step by step....and grew into a good business.
But 10 years ago my friend and i sold the business since we cannot grow to much further
without big dollars.
So too be honest i had a couple good employess that were good people....but the 25 others were there just for a pay check.
i just got tired ...of the crying and the complaining.
Anyway now i just take care of my bricks ...and do some electrical work .
And i know if i wanted i could have 5 trucks on the road but i’m just tired of babying adults.
And to be honest i’m a burned out 50 year old....i’m just tired of all the people who say
they want to be successful but don't want to put sweat into there sucess.
Gentlemen as we all know here money don’t come looking for you.
Any way thats my little story.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Lee and rusk....i’m a little younger i’m 50.
But been a electrician since 17....i was lucky enough to create a merchant business when i was 30 with a friend.
We grew the business step by step....and grew into a good business.
But 10 years ago my friend and i sold the business since we cannot grow to much further
without big dollars.
So too be honest i had a couple good employess that were good people....but the 25 others were there just for a pay check.
i just got tired ...of the crying and the complaining.
Anyway now i just take care of my bricks ...and do some electrical work .
And i know if i wanted i could have 5 trucks on the road but i’m just tired of babying adults.
And to be honest i’m a burned out 50 year old....i’m just tired of all the people who say
they want to be successful but don't want to put sweat into there sucess.
Gentlemen as we all know here money don’t come looking for you.
Any way thats my little story.
Wow we are all in the same boat with successful businesses but tiresome employees and tiresome business practices.
As a surgeon, I love what I do but the employee inconsistencies is what makes me want to throw in the towel. Babysitting adults, like you say, is exhausting.
The COVID situation doesn’t help when employees freak out about it or just wish to stay home and collect unemployment.

Sent from my LP670SV

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #694 ·
Looks like we are all in a bigger boat than I thought. You guys are spot on. I am tired. Tired of people using the I phone to wear you out, tired of babysitting adults that I pay really well, tired of people making demands constantly with nothing given in return, tired of people lying, cheating, stealing and trying to take advantage of me and finally tired of Uncle Sam taking a huge chunk of my money every year then wasting the lions share of it. The only thing I am not tired of is making money. The problem is that the more money you make, the more problems come with it. I used to want to be a billionaire. Now I feel sorry for them. If you notice though, most end up selling their companies to pursue their dreams. I cant imagine the stress and pain at that level. Many were younger when they made their rise and did not have time to be tired. Their growth was meteoric. Their pain tolerance must be incredible. Look at the president. Whether you like him or not can you imagine the 24/7 crap thrown at him. No one deserves that. I had even considered politics but now want nothing to do with it. Even local politicians deal with crap 7 days a week. I know several well and they tell me insider stories of the crap they face. What we need is a more civil world where we are more courteous, thankful and respectful. I think our society and world has lost a lot of civility in the last 20 years. I have to admit , I am guilty as well. I try not to be but sometimes it is easier to fire back than to try and understand their point of view. I think the problem is that I when people are snippy or rude and demanding, it is hard to be civil and polite. It is like an endless circle. Lee

·
Registered
567 Posts
Lee exactly...we become successful because we are motivated...driven..even if we fail we rise again and fight.
But the problem in my eyes is people have forgot god....not that i go to church every week.
Everyday i thank god for my success and i give respect to all people...and don’t always get respect back
but who cares i do the right thing .
People have lost there way...and many people just hate...and that is bad.

·
Premium Member
16,848 Posts
Gentlemen too bad we dont live close to each other...because i would buy everyone drinks and we can
discuss some good stories i bet.
I would like to second that motion!

Reactions: Ohlgren

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #700 ·
We should have an annual meeting for lambo talk members. We could move it around every year to give everyone a chance . I will rent the venue for the first one in DFW. Everyone just has to get here. . Flights are dirt cheap right now. It could be from Fri night to Sunday afternoon. Lots of flights in and out of here. We could probably get a transport to give us a cheap deal for anyone too far to drive. We could have a car show on Saturday, drinks and dinner Sat night. I know Russ would have a popular location. Only problem is transport for the cars would be crazy expensive to Hawaii. PS I agree with the belief in God. I do go almost every Sunday. I have been very blessed. I just hope Saint Peter does not shut the gate for beer drinking or cussing. I will be in deep trouble. Lee

681 - 700 of 1270 Posts