Lamborghini Talk banner

541 - 560 of 697 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
MaybeSomeday- Look man, If you can afford this car, why are you wasting so much time over a few grand? You can ask a million questions and take as long as you want, but we've already all determined that the market hasn't crashed yet(and might not, no one knows,) but today if you want a car, you have to pay. You can negotiate, some will do better than others, but ultimately no one is getting 20-30k off a car right now. It's just not happening. Factor in you are trading a car, it hurts your ability to negotiate the best price possible as they are taking on risk taking your car that's much harder to sell than theirs. My suggestion is to just suck it up, spend a few extra grand and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I ask a million questions because I am insecure in the car negotiating space having no experience in it and I want to understand the process, how to efficiently approach a dealer and try to work the best deal for myself. There isn't really anyone in my personal life with great expertise in the space so I thought the forums could help me flesh it out. It's in my nature to microanalyze everything, not trying to annoy people with questions.

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
I ask a million questions because I am insecure in the car negotiating space having no experience in it and I want to understand the process, how to efficiently approach a dealer and try to work the best deal for myself. There isn't really anyone in my personal life with great expertise in the space so I thought the forums could help me flesh it out. It's in my nature to microanalyze everything, not trying to annoy people with questions.
I'm not saying you're annoying, i'm saying you've asked enough questions, now it's time to buy. Is the goal to buy a car, or to just keep asking questions? All i'm saying is that even if you can save 5k more, is it worth the hours and hours of aggravation and loss of use?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
No worries with questions and don't let my answers bother you. Just trying to give you some helpful advice.

First, I do not buy a ton of cars. I am no pro at it, so take what I say with that in mind. I am in my late 40s and have been in the car hobby for a long time so that is where I am coming from.

My Lamborghini experience was as follows. I saw my car listed locally and went to take a look at it. I asked a ton of questions, looked it over carefully, and fell in love. When I was looking the first time, I was told that exotic cars are different than normal cars. The values are well known and prices are not negotiated like regular cars. Exotic cars tend to sell at asking price. (This turned out to be complete garbage.) I left and came back a few days later to look at it again. I came back a 3rd time asking questions about maintenance and insurance costs. This made them realize I was serious and they offered 15% off. I was told this was just above cost and they would not make any money on the sale. I chickened out and did not buy it. The dealer sold the car on eBay 2 months later for 30% less than the original asking price. This was 20 years ago, so the market was very different. I got into negotiations on a couple Countach over the years. Similar stories. "Firm" price dropped when things got serious. Usually around 10% give or take.

There are lots of posts on this site about buying a Lamborghini. I would read through a bunch of them and see some of the things people recommend doing and saying with dealers. It sounds like you have been doing some research and have a decent idea of what things sell for. You might contact some owners in the model specific area and ask individuals about specific cars and what their experience was in the buying process.

I would worry less about making a bad impression on sellers. I am always polite and friendly, but I keep in mind, they are there to make money. You want a good car for a good price. I doubt they will take offense to reasonable questions about a car. If they do, don't sweat it.

Also keep in mind that people come in and kick tires at exotic dealerships all day long. I go to check out cool cars often. A local exotic dealer told me that weekends are pretty much all lookers and no buyers. My local dealers get lots of people looking, but few people buying. I think this is why dealers don't take inquiries very seriously at times.

Ask a lot of questions about the car and make sure you know what you are getting. You should get a PPI based on what I read. That will be a good first step. It costs money and shows the seller you are willing to invest in the car and the sale. They will know you are serious about buying. The PPI will also tell you a lot about the car and identify issues. Use the PPI to decide what you would be willing to pay for the car. If you show them a report full of issues, they will probably be more willing to work with you. Since you are saying you are inexperienced buying cars, I think a PPI is especially important.

My advice in a nutshell. Read up on car buying threads, get a PPI on any car you want to buy, ask important questions, and make an offer. (I assume this is your first exotic, so find out about insurance. You might need special insurance.)

.... and in regards to the original post, I see little evidence that prices are dropping significantly due to Covid at this time.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You should get a PPI based on what I read. That will be a good first step. It costs money and shows the seller you are willing to invest in the car and the sale. They will know you are serious about buying. The PPI will also tell you a lot about the car and identify issues. Use the PPI to decide what you would be willing to pay for the car. If you show them a report full of issues, they will probably be more willing to work with you.
How does this part go when the car is at a major Lamborghini dealer?

·
Premium Member
2018 Huracan Spyder 580-2
12,649 Posts
I really not very good at negotiating so I find the best time for me to buy is when I really don't care either way.

Reactions: LHP

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well I offered them 172k subject to satisfactory PPI and they informed me that they "are the oldest Lamborghini dealer in the country. All of the services are up to date as [they] are a Lambo dealer. (No PPI necessary) Price is $179,880 but thanks for the offer."

The 179,800 is their (FC Kerbeck) list price. Like I said, this has been listed for a year.

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
How does this part go when the car is at a major Lamborghini dealer?
The answer to this question is simple. If you need a PPI on a car being offered from a Franchise dealer, then you should not be buying from that dealer. Period.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Which dealer and car is it?
I would absolutely get an independent PPI whether or not the car is at a Lamborghini dealer. Confused your point? When I bought my car I had an independent Lamborghini mechanic look into it and lo and behold they found plenty of things that the dealer did not inform me about and so I had all of that work done before I bought the car mostly at the dealers cost. Was at a dealer this past week looking at a G and I could visibly see items that they did not inform me about, so I would always feel more comfortable getting an independent third-party for a relatively small cost of a PPI. Are we saying the same thing?

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
I've talked to a number of franchise dealers GMs and they have told me the same thing....The owner of this dealership has a lot of money and floors nothing! My guess is that car is owned outright by the dealer and it looks very clean and the miles are low. They're sticking to their guns I see. What's the trade conversation been like?

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
I would absolutely get an independent PPI whether or not the car is at a Lamborghini dealer. Confused your point? When I bought my car I had an independent Lamborghini mechanic look into it and lo and behold they found plenty of things that the dealer did not inform me about and so I had all of that work done before I bought the car mostly at the dealers cost. Was at a dealer this past week looking at a G and I could visibly see items that they did not inform me about, so I would always feel more comfortable getting an independent third-party for a relatively small cost of a PPI. Are we saying the same thing?
What car was this on though? This is one owner 8k mile Huracan. What can a dealer possibly find?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Most dealers offer somewhere in the low 70's for my trade in (MMR is 75k per your message a few weeks ago). The worst offer is Scottsdale at 60k, told them to kick rocks. I was still waiting for FC Kerbeck to get back to me with their appraisal but based on this condescending guy's message there is nothing left to do there. Why do I care you are supposedly the oldest dealer in the country? What does that even matter?

They can sit on that car, it'll be 1 MY older in a month. There's a 610 with 3k miles for $181k that looks great IMO with a friendly sales manager I have been in talks with I'd rather buy from now even if I had to pay more.

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
Too many variables to really gauge anything about the situation. If you have that other car, and you like it better, work on that deal. Make no mistake, cars are selling, and cars in that price range are selling a lot. Summer is here, spend a couple bucks extra if you have to and enjoy it. 3 months of fun is worth 5-10k to me all day.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is good advice. At least where I live.. Negotiating in winter... Fine. I'd have a long time to go back and forth. But I'd rather not lose out a whole season over the negotiating process. I don't have the patience to nit pick 5k here or there most times either. Not that I just pucker up and kiss their ass, but if it's a car that you like, then buy it at a reasonable offer and 5k isn't worth 3 months like Jr said.
-My two useless cents

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well I offered them 172k subject to satisfactory PPI and they informed me that they "are the oldest Lamborghini dealer in the country. All of the services are up to date as [they] are a Lambo dealer. (No PPI necessary) Price is $179,880 but thanks for the offer."

The 179,800 is their (FC Kerbeck) list price. Like I said, this has been listed for a year.
That’s a slick looking lambo, low miles too boot, would still get a ppi as mentioned earlier.

where did you find it? I looked through some car classifieds and didn’t see it listed

541 - 560 of 697 Posts