Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering buying a used 2005 Gallardo with 25K miles on it.
Any advice? Is it a good car? Will maintenance costs eat me up?
I have a car guy friend that says at 25K miles it's basically all used up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Not so. Clutches are the main wear item and will cost you around $7 -$9k depending on who does the work. $5k if you can source parts and do it yourself. Clutch life is around 15-20k miles, at 25k someone should have already needed to replace it. You want a clutch snap done by a dealer to determine remaining life. Otherwise these cars will go many many miles without a lot of work needed.

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,021 Posts

No offense to your friend but without a history on the car, he is insanely wrong with that comment. Was this car a rental, track only car, etc? If you’re hammering a car all day, tracking it every weekend, and not maintaining/servicing it correctly, then almost any exotic car would be used up at 25k. Even if you’re using the car as much as I just mentioned, if the car is maintained and serviced correctly, the car still wouldn’t be used up at 25k!! To say that an exotic is used up at 25k just shows a lack of knowledge on the subject and I would think twice about accepting that persons advice.

So first off, try to find a history of the car (carfax, etc.) and definitely get a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) from a reputable service center. I would just take it to the nearest Lamborghini dealership for the PPI. A PPI will tell you ALMOST all you need to know….

For the maintenance side, I included the maintenance schedule. If you can find service records that might help as some of these items might have already been completed. If not, worst case scenario is you will need a maintenance c service plan from a Lamborghini dealership. The maintenance c plan is about $6k. Again, if you can find that some things have been completed, you might be able to get away with the maintenance b plan which runs about $3k. If you’re mechanically inclined, you can do the work yourself. A majority of it is very easy to do! I do 90% of the work on my Superleggera myself. If you’re lucky to have or find service records, you might not need anything done to the car….

As mentioned already, biggest thing to check is clutch wear. If the car was driven in a clutch preserving way (Sport mode all the time, not driving or reversing on steep inclines constantly, etc.) there are stock clutches that have made it well over 50k miles. However, you can also burn these clutches out in 10k miles depending on how you’re driving the car.

If you haven’t carfax’ed it yet, send me the vin. I have carfax and I’d be more than happy to run it for you.
Font Material property Parallel Pattern Rectangle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments. Not sure how the car was driven before because it had about 5 previous owners. It has a CARFAX that is clean and has service records. I believe the clutch still has 90% life left.

Still considering.

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,021 Posts
Thanks for the comments. Not sure how the car was driven before because it had about 5 previous owners. It has a CARFAX that is clean and has service records. I believe the clutch still has 90% life left.

Still considering.
Then depending on the PPI results, why not get it? Again 25k miles on an 05 Gallardo is nothing as long as it is maintained correctly. Maintenance is once a year and again if you are able to do it yourself, it will only cost you a couple hundred in parts. What hurts the bank is unforeseen failures…. That’s when it will get pricey.

I hope I’m not insulting your intelligence but incase you don’t know, 04-08 Gallardos are called, “Pre-LP” Gallardo’s. That’s because in 09, Lambo brought back the, ”LP” model brand. There were several differences from Pre-LP to the LP’s. IMO, the biggest change is from the 5.0L engine to the 5.2L engine in the LP’s. So the 05 you’re looking at is a Pre-LP with a 5.0L even firing V10. The 5.0L is sought out due to the high pitch scream it produces. The 5.2L has a deeper exhaust 5.0L. Both Pre-LP and LP’s are pretty rock solid!

Its a great car and a great experience in owning. What are your other concerns? What’s holding you back?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just have cold feet about maintenance costs. I don't want to spend $100k and then have it be too expensive to really enjoy. I'm not a collector so I'd be driving it. I'm retiring in about a year so it wouldn't be my everyday driver. I have a truck for that. Just want something that's really fun! And if you're any kind or car guy ... who hasn't dreamed of owning a Lambo?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For Cliff.1620: I have the CARFAX and it looks pretty clean. 7 previous owners. Owner 6 had it for 3 years and only put 777 miles on it. Owner 7 had it for 1 year 3 months and only put 1669 miles on it. I have no idea how anybody drove it. How are you supposed to find that out?
VIN is ZHWGU11S45LA02262.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
For Cliff.1620: I have the CARFAX and it looks pretty clean. 7 previous owners. Owner 6 had it for 3 years and only put 777 miles on it. Owner 7 had it for 1 year 3 months and only put 1669 miles on it. I have no idea how anybody drove it. How are you supposed to find that out?
The fact that the last owner put a decent (relatively) amount of miles on it in just over a year, is a good thing. G's like any car, do better when driven.
Unless you talk directly to the previous owners, there really is no way to know how they were driven. If it was never a rental, that is REALLY good. If you get a PPI (pre purchase inspection) by a Lamborghini dealership or qualified independent (you would pay for this) they would be able to see if the bushings have excessive where, or if there is evidence of repair, etc. There are certain signs in the guys of a car that can show you if the car was driven hard.
There would always be some risk, and you have to tell yourself that if the car is worth the risk, then it may have to sit a bit if there is a huge unexpected repair that was not picked up during the PPI.

Reactions: Cliff.1620

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would not worry at all about maintenance expenses, it's the cost of unexpected and unavoidable problems that can bite. I've had my '06 for sixteen years now and over that long a time it has been fairly inexpensive to maintain. However, it has had a few painful bills over the years; a/c compressor, hydraulic pistons for convertible top, silly passenger seatbelt retractor. If you do any of your own work you'll save quite a bit. I recently did the absolutely everything service with Lambo Sarasota and it was about $3500, so that's every single fluid and filter in the car short of the soft top lifters, but the typical annual expenses are sub $800. Even with the few weird failures, I suspect I'm still averaging less than $1400/yr since I've done most oil and brake jobs myself.

Regarding the clutch, I'm at 17k miles and still have 60% left from dealer snap few months ago. This is unfortunately entirely based on how the car has been driven, and of course city vs highway. Giving the car enough gas to rapidly engage the clutch greatly reduces partial engagement and wear. Less stop/start also reduces it. Someone doing a lot of cruising up and down the beach, or through city downtowns, and babying the gas, could easily cause double the wear.

Reactions: Luzifer

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,021 Posts
Just have cold feet about maintenance costs. I don't want to spend $100k and then have it be too expensive to really enjoy. I'm not a collector so I'd be driving it. I'm retiring in about a year so it wouldn't be my everyday driver. I have a truck for that. Just want something that's really fun! And if you're any kind or car guy ... who hasn't dreamed of owning a Lambo?
The maintenance really isn’t that bad. Unless you drive more than 7500 miles a year, maintenance costs are pretty low. Unfortunately it comes with the, “Lambo” tax where things are more expensive just because it’s a Lambo but it’s still not bad! If there’s a reputable service center near you that works on exotics and has experience they will be cheaper than the Lambo dealership. Don’t let the car intimidate you, they are very easy to work on and there are so many videos on YouTube that show how to do the simple things. It really is easy and will be very cheap if you’re that worried about it.

On the other side, if you are that worried about it, maybe it’s not a good idea to buy a Lambo. They can get expensive quickly and if you are worried about spending a lot of money for when that happens, might not be the best car to get into.

Have you thought about an R8? They are great cars! Like many on this forum, I had one and it gives the exotic feel without the, “Lambo” tax. However, while the R8 is a great car, I can speak from experience that regardless of how similar the R8 is to a Lambo, it does not give you Lamborghini ownership experience.…..

Thats the hard one. You have to dig and dig! Google the vin #. Get on all of the Lambo forums and see if anyone knows about the car. It’s a long process but searching on Instagram sometimes leads to some info. VinWiki could also help. Outside of that, without the previous owner/s telling you, there really isn’t a certain way of knowing how the car was driven. Especially with multiple owners. People that bought my previous cars have found me on Instagram and asked me about the car. I was always more than willing to help them out. During the PPI, the service technician can look at parts and see if they are degrading at serivce intervals or faster. While that’s not solid proof, it is a tell tale sign of how the car was treated.

Reactions: Luzifer

·
Registered
287 Posts

25k miles is really nothing. I bought my 2007 a year ago with similar mileage and my maintenance costs have been lower than my chevy impala lol. i have put about 6,000 miles on it and it's been super terrific and so much fun!
My clutch has gone from about 52% to 48% with those miles and usage, so at that rate I will never have to replace it. It all depends on how you drive it (sport mode etc.).
Get a ppi done on it no matter what - that's the only way to know if it's a good car or not.
Best of luck! You will not regret it.

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,021 Posts
The fact that the last owner put a decent (relatively) amount of miles on it in just over a year, is a good thing. G's like any car, do better when driven.
Unless you talk directly to the previous owners, there really is no way to know how they were driven. If it was never a rental, that is REALLY good. If you get a PPI (pre purchase inspection) by a Lamborghini dealership or qualified independent (you would pay for this) they would be able to see if the bushings have excessive where, or if there is evidence of repair, etc. There are certain signs in the guys of a car that can show you if the car was driven hard.
There would always be some risk, and you have to tell yourself that if the car is worth the risk, then it may have to sit a bit if there is a huge unexpected repair that was not picked up during the PPI.
Absolutely correct!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
When you start putting $200 of 94 gas in your car every week and it doesn't bother you anymore then it doesn't hurt too much when you need to put a few thousands to fix something. It also helps if you can do most of the work yourself.

I couldn't understand the adage before owning a sports car, "Smiles per gallon", now it makes perfect sense to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 2008 Gillardo I'm considering purchasing is VIN#ZHWGU11S45LA02262.
Does anyone know anything about the past history of this car?
CARFAX says it's been thru 7 previous owners. Looks like it was first purchased in New York at Manhattan Motor Cars, then went to San Diego, then back to New York, Pennsylvania, back to New York again, New Jersey, back to New York again, then finally ended up in Chicago.
Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
SL #7007
1,021 Posts
The 2008 Gillardo I'm considering purchasing is VIN#ZHWGU11S45LA02262.
Does anyone know anything about the past history of this car?
CARFAX says it's been thru 7 previous owners. Looks like it was first purchased in New York at Manhattan Motor Cars, then went to San Diego, then back to New York, Pennsylvania, back to New York again, New Jersey, back to New York again, then finally ended up in Chicago.
Any info would be appreciated.
Google didn’t show much but I found two posts on VinWiki about it. One was the dealership posting it for sale a couple of years ago. The second was posted last year by the last buyer. Looks like he is in Chicago.

Vehicle Plant Tire Car Motor vehicle

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts