Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Questions about Gallardo.
I am looking into perhaps getting a Gallardo. A few questions come to mind.

Is it worth spending the extra money to get the 05 with the front lifting system? How often do 03 and 04 owners have problems with the front of their cars?

Can the 05 front lifting system be installed in an 04?

Is there a significant improvement in clutch reliability/design between the 04 and 05 years for e-gear cars?

Are workshop manuals and parts list available.

Any other factors to take into consideration between a 03 and 04 besides the obvious price issue.

·
Registered
163 Posts
They're all pretty similar from my understanding. I have an 04 and I haven't found much trouble with the height (I wouldn't park it on the curb)... the height control thing is cool but not really necessary, I don't think. If you can get an 05 for very close to the price of an 04, go for it but don't pay TOO much of a premium.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As an "everyday" car, I think you may soon find the '04 car's lack of ability in traversing some driveway entrances and kerbs etc annoying. But as a weekend "drivers" car it doesn't particulalry worry me in my '04 car - just have to be aware of its limitations in this regard. It is only the sacrificial metal under-strip which scrapes, and is designed to protect the bodywork.

My dealer has said that the '05 lifting system is not being offered as a retro-fit by Lamborghini, and after looking at what would be involved, thinks that it could be quite difficult to do.

Whilst the '05 e-gear clutch is slightly differernt and a bit more "beefed-up" than the 04, there have been very few problems with e-gear clutches in general (problems have been with manuals). Mine is at 7000kms and measures about 8% wear.

But if within your budget, I would still be inclined to go with the '05

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
If possible get a 05 or even a 06, I personally would not considered a 03 in my wildest dreams... they are like 91/92 Diablos full of problems of an early model.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
The MY 2004 cars built in 2003... you're right there are no cars with 2003 VIN.

From the Lambo Registry:
2004 LAMBORGHINI Gallardo
Chassis #4LA00030
The Yellow March 2003 Geneva Show Car.

2004 LAMBORGHINI Gallardo
Chassis #4LA00031
The Black March 2003 Geneva Show Car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
04?

I have an early 04 6 speed with 8k miles on original clutch, no problems at all. Just had 7.5k service which included all of the little upgrades from Lamborghini. its up to you if you want to spend the extra 20k or 30k, if you can afford it go for an 05, if not do not worry about getting a 04.

·
Banned
183 Posts
Gallardo 2007

Could they Make the Gallardo as badass as the Murcielago, adding in more crazy **** and bringing the price to like 250, or is it worth it to say **** it. Would a 70K price increase really kill the insane sales?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Off hand, could somebody quickly tell me what is the fight above the ground of the front bumper of an 04. Could rollers be attached to the frame as for example in a C5 vett?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The Gallardo has a pinch more front ground clearance than a Dodge Viper GTS ( I measured them both); so what's the big deal and all the worrying about ?? Unless you drive like a knucklehead, it will be fine. I don't know of many performance cars that can be driven into a driveway "dip" at speed. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
clearance

The metal strip under the front of the car that hits first (and gives you a warning) has been replaced by a plastic piece, approx $270. I removed mine on I5 a couple of weeks ago, there was a LARGE unmarked bump in the road, (thanks Washington State) at the beginning of road works. This takes all of the beating. You just have to approach steep drive ways at an angle. No differant to Lotus Esprits etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts