Lamborghini Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a weird one. I have a 07' 6spd Manual Gallardo, has around 15,500ish miles on it when the original clutch let go. I bought a new aftermarket longer life clutch kit from a very recommended seller from both Lamborghini-talk and the Gallardo facebook page, and had it installed at a local exotic car repair facility, mostly due to I just got done with a massive rebuild on my z06 corvette that I did myself and had family coming into town, otherwise this something normally I would just do on my own.

The issue that I am having is that the clutch will not fully disengage to the point we actually swapped the clutch out for another one and ran into the same issue with another one of the same style clutch. The shop said they put 15 liters of fluid through the clutch system trying to bleed it trying to ensure that it was 100% bled properly. I put the car up on my 2 post at home and with the clutch fully depressed, engine running, shifter in 1st gear the wheels started to spin.

Has anyone seen an issue like this in the past? I am stumped, the shop that did the clutch is also stumped and the guy who sold me the clutches is also out of ideas minus replacing the master cylinder. We are using the recommended updated bellows style throw out bearing setup, instead of another stock unit.

Any help would be appreciated, I have search through as many posts about Lamborghini Gallardo clutches as I could find, and found nothing else to try except bleeding the clutch again.

-Steve

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sean,

Thanks again for reaching out, I believe it is the clutch as well, since we pressure bled the hydrualics of the entire clutch release system. The shop owner and I are triple checking the clutch slave cylinder release bearing today.
I suspect the car is going to come apart again for a 3rd time shortly here.

Signed,

Steve

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just my $0.02 cents worth,
There's an old thread by somebody from (Around Poland) that had his clutch disk rebuilt and when assembled system would not Disengage, he later reported disks were to thick therefore the system saw an out of range reading and didn't work.
Do understand you tried another clutch but it could be the clutch disk, pressure plate, throw out bearing or even the position sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hey everyone just figured I would finally update the situation. We did manage to fix the car and it was the clutch assembly causing the issues. The units were sourced from AMH Exotic Parts. From what I can tell the clutch plates were too thick.

I reached back out to Sean at Hi-Tech Exotics and bought one of his HT300 Clutch Assemblies for my car and had Jeremy at F8 Sports Cars in Michigan (HOME | F8 SportsCars) install it for me. The car has been perfect since. The interesting thing is Sean's clutches are 100% new components every single time he builds one to send out, no rebuilding. This method is far more expensive but if I would have just went with him first I would have saved TONS of money in comparison to paying for the labor of 3 clutch installs on my car.

The previous Kevlar clutches I had in the car were NOT from Sean's company but from AMH Exotic Parts. It was an absolute nightmare and almost made me straight up-sell the car. After 3 full clutch jobs and a credit card chargeback to the manufacturer and just tons of undue stress. I was able to get my money back and get a proper clutch into the vehicle. In the end, everyone was made as whole as they could be given the situation. All parts that were refunded were returned to their respective owners and the car is on the road.

If anyone has any questions further feel free to PM me or find me on Facebook and I would discuss the details further.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Seems like Glen should have his day to say something about his AMH clutch.

For the record, Sean’s clutch was magnificent in my G.

Also of note, the times I’ve had to deal with Glen, have also been very satisfactory.

·
Vendor
1,648 Posts
Without getting into the sake of arguing, yes the OP had an issue which I went over and above trying to help with his situation talking to dealer tech friends etc.... I am very sorry that you had a bad experience with your install and that you felt the need to vent a little after so many months gone by. Just all know that I am a parts supplier not a technician nor do I try to act like one.

After all said and done when parts were checked after the fact, the OP ended up having a defective brand new throw out bearing which caused the clutch engagement issue. The new bearing was sent back to Lamborghini and received a brand new replacement for it. Sorry that you felt it was a clutch thickness issue but truly not the case.
I had no problem helping out fully on my end and even reimbursed him for the complete order of parts even though he tried to do a chargeback to his CC for a "trust issue on his behalf"

Fact is this was a manufacture issue with the new OEM clutch bearing and if it was installed at an authorized dealership, the labor charge would have been covered under warranty and he wouldn't have had to pay twice his technician unfortunately. It sucks that this was the case and engine had to be removed again but that is out of my hands. There was 100% no problem with the clutch assembly itself and the same clutch was cleaned up and resold in the next couple weeks to a long time rental car customer of mine and already has over 2000 track miles on it now.

The ECT brand has been on the market for over 20 years and with over 500 plus clutches out there on Gallardo's, Audi R8's, Ferrari's, Maserati's, etc...there is definitely no problem on our end with the building process as any of my competitors would like to believe. They are triple checked before leaving shop whether brand new or rebuilt so they all get the same treatment. Having an issue like this is going to happen every once in a while but no worries I will do my best to help out the situation every time whether it be at fault or not!

Again I am sorry that you had a bad experience and hope all goes well in your future coming.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh interesting, I did not know that the throw-out bearing was bad. I did take a video of the throw-out bearing / Slave cylinder actuating the clutch through the starter hole with the car up in the hoist and me pressing the clutch inside of the car.

Take a look for yourself I could have sworn that this actuated the cylinder fully and was disengaging the clutch.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I think it would be hard to tell by looking at the throw out bearing moving if it moving enough.

This filming technique is very useful to see if the t/o bearing is actually moving, I did it too when I replaced my clutch!

The movements on clutches are tiny (like less than a mm) and deviations can cause a vehicle to just not work like this car had problems.

·
Vendor
1,831 Posts
We have sold hundreds of throwout bearings and we have never had a brand new throwout bearing that was bad/failed right out of the box. Do they fail? Yes, but after thousands of miles, not when they are new. Steve, you got a new throw out bearing from Glen.

Not being able to go into reverse is like a Canary in a coal mine. Reverse does not have a synchro so if your clutch is not set up right like this one, then it won't go in reverse. It's not right to blame the brand new throw out bearing.

·
Vendor
2013 Mercedes Benz SL63 AMG
831 Posts
With both Glen and Hi-Tech being well known and respected vendors for many years, hopefully it was sorted out in an acceptable manner and you have many years and miles enjoying your G.

·
Vendor
1,648 Posts
Two different clutches were installed with same issue so yes 100 % the clutch bearing was bad as I have already explained previously.No need to further this thread along.
Stop trying to say it’s a clutch issue when it works perfectly fine in another car. There is three times the amount of ECT clutches sold to the Hi-Tech versions on Lamborghini’s around the world so stop trying to make yourself look good. Stay doing what you do, I have nothing bad to say about your clutches. Keep it going and I’ll start start a thread on all the ones shops have had to change out with mine over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.