Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the car for just over a year now. (still loving it) Jan of 2011 at 15K miles had egear snap with a reading of 2.1mm. Just got another snap this month at 22K miles (yes, I like to drive my car) and the reading was 2.9mm. What? is my clutch going to last 40K miles?

Those 7K miles in the last year have been short trips around town. Stop and go driving. A little drag racing here and there. I do get on the throttle alot (doesn't everybody?) But, I rarely backup. I do try and keep the clutch from slipping (feathering) on all takeoffs. I never turn the wheel and then start moving. I do downshift alot (just to hear the sound) but almost always put the car in Neutral when decelerating from 20 mph to a complete stop. My wife did drive it in A for a little while last year but doesn't drive it anymore (she "doesnt like it" - Oh well;)). My mechanic thinks this is normal wear.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
what is this reading in terms of % of life remaining?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know someone smarter will correct me. As I understand it, the clutch reads almost zero when new and reads about 5.6mm when completely worn out. My mechanic said it was about 50% give or take.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
I know someone smarter will correct me. As I understand it, the clutch reads almost zero when new and reads about 5.6mm when completely worn out. My mechanic said it was about 50% give or take.
You are correct, 5.6mm is the total wear possible. My 2005 with 12k mi on 2nd clutch was about 1.7/5.6mm worn. At 20k mi, I expect to be about 2.4 or so worn but have yet to get a snapshot. I know the clutch wears faster towards last 1/3 of life so I expect 35k miles.

I do the same things as you. The biggest wear seems to be going against an incline from a stop. As long as you avoid this, the clutch isn't an issue aside from occasional jerks when not starting from a full stop.

·
Vendor
23 Posts
Keep in mind, you will have .7-.9mm of gap in that 5.6mm total. That's the movement before the clutch engages the flywheel. So, now knowing this, you're actually not as worn as you thought you were percentage-wise because that part of the measurement isn't wear/spent clutch material...just the space it travels across before engaging. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts