Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Aventador. When starting in first gear from a dead stop, it shudders a great deal. This happens no matter what mode I have the transmission in (Strada, Sport, or Corsa). Sometimes the shuddering is so violent that I worry the car is going to be damaged. It is worse when it is cold, but still very apparent after it reaches operating temperature. It feels like what happens in a manual clutch car when you let out the clutch too quickly when not giving it enough gas. Shifts to higher gears are all fine.

The dealer is telling me that they have looked at it, and this is normal for the Aventador. They say you have to start out in first gear with hard acceleration - that it is not meant to start out slowly. That does not sound reasonable to me. While I know cars of this type used to be bears to drive in normal (e.g. slow) mode, the Aventador has been widely described as an easy car to drive. Also, I have not read any indication of this issue in any reviews or other forum posts.

Have any other Aventador owners had this same issue?

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
mine used to do this.. but i seem to have gotten the presure right now and the tke off is much smoother..dont know how to explain this . give ur self room when ecselerating from a stop. as in let the car infront of u move more then go.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. It sounds like you had the same problem, and learned how to drive it to avoid the jerkiness. If it is just a characteristic of the car, I will learn to live with it. I was mostly concerned that something was wrong with it and the dealer was not being straight forward with me.

I have to admit, it is surprising to think this is the normal functioning of the car. I haven't had a car with this much power before, but have had a 911 turbo and currently have a Ferrari Scuderia. Although my 911 turbo had a manual shift, the Scuderia has a sequential clutch F1 transmission. Both have around 500 horsepower, and neither had any hint of this characteristic.

Thanks again for your response.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
In the Murci/LP640 the same thing happens. The shuddering is more pronounced when the car is cold. Very trained use of the throttle helps control the clutch engagement versus vehicle speed versus RPM and reduces the shuddering.

Sometimes backing off the PIS adjustment helps reduce the tendency to shudder. It also creates more slip during engagement which adds to clutch wear and makes upshift more jerky.

I like to gently squeeze the throttle enough to bring RPM's up to the point where the clutch wants to engage, then give a very sharp but short jab to make it engage...then hold it until vehicle speed increases and apply more throttle to drive off. It's tricky to perfect as I only drive the cars from time to time and drive many different ones. Different models of different brands drive differently!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. Now that it appears this is indeed normal operation for the car, I will just learn to deal with it.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
[[email protected]; It also creates more slip during engagement which adds to clutch wear and makes upshift more jerky.

Yo Josh: It seems counterintuitive to me that more clutch slip would make upshifts "...more jerky." Seems to me that more slip would make shifts less jerky. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I would like an explanation. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
You are absolutely correct in that there is no correspondence between the clutch slip and jerky shifts. The issue is timing between the throttle opening & closing versus the clutch opening and closing...as well as the vehicle speed stall in between a slow shift.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Your PIS setting is too low for your style. Or it was programmed to low. Go to the dealer and adjust and try that out..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer said the car was operating as it should, and there was nothing they could do. They did do a software update, saying it was related to emissions. When I got the car back, the clutch problem was 90 percent gone. Either they did adjust something, or the software upgrade had a fix in it. Either way, I am happy now. Just wish I knew how it got fixed.

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds exactly like the problem I struggled with my LP640 for 9 months. After 3 clutch changes, they finally replaced the E-gear ECU and it's been fine ever since.
I wonder who makes the electronics for Lambo??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts