Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I am new to thsi forum. I am from Malta and I do not own a Gallardo but am a keem enthusiast. A friend of mine has just bought a brand new Gallardo and just after 2700km he is already experiencing slip from his clutch as well as unpleasant smell. Is this normal? The car was never raced just driven form Germany to Malta.

I assume that thsi is covered by teh warranty right?

Regards

G

·
clutch wear

Clutch wear is DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE DRIVER. No amount of BS'ing or whatevery anyone wants to say, clutches DO NOT wear out and start slipping on their own. If the clutch worked fine when the car was new and for several thousand miles, then your friend can look at his right foot and left foot for the problem. If I were Lamborghini, I would tell people with worn out clutches in a few thousand miles, to pay up. All Lamborghini has to start doing is examining the disk, plate and flywheel, to determine the problem. If they start doing that, lots of owners are going to have to start paying for new clutches. It is VERY easy to look at a clutch/flywheel under a magnifing glass and most of the time not even that, to see what caused the damage. I get really tired of reading about people with a worn out clutch and blaming Lamborghini, when the problem was caused by them showing off. If you want a race car or drive your car like a race car, then you will have to pay for new clutches.
Chadbourn Bolles
803 798 3044

·
Registered
299 Posts
Chad, well said - in 5 years I put on 261,000 km on my last 5 series BMW (E46) and sold it with the original clutch. You can't expect to take off with a 1,700 Kg car side stepping the clutch if you floor the accelerator after the clutch has disengaged - you resolved 95% of your wear problems IMO. I have no issues with the Countach either - put 60,000 km on the urraco with a clutch - E 30 M3 100,000+ km - the list goes on....

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
If your friend did not buy his car from a local Dealer it is likely that the Clutch is not covered under Warranty because it is considered a wear item like Tires.

If your friend takes the car back to the original selling dealer, there is a chance they might cover the Cluth under warranty, as Lamborghini is aware of a Clutch problem (04's) and have since changed to a Upgraded Clutch set-up for the Gallardo Series of cars.

·
Registered
278 Posts
They can't all be bad /careless / reckless drivers.

If you search the threads here you will see some of the issues that relate to Lambo and clutch. Its a big weak point, and also the Gallardo has some proven clutch issues affecting early models.

I hope that you get it done under warranty, with so few KMS, you should not have any tyre tread left if you abused it that bad, your clutch should outlive or at least last as long as the other driveline components. If it were me, and I had the evidence, I would argue that it was not fit for the purpose that it was intended.

If you do have to replace it yourself, I suggest putting in something more long-lasting than the OEM "prawn sandwich" clutch.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not all clutch failures on manual Gallardos are related to driver abuse. I do have a race car and have no problem paying for wear and tear items, but I also currently have over 10 street cars with manual transmissions and I have never had to replace a clutch on a street car in over 25 years of driving. Lamborghini replaced my clutch under warranty no questions asked. When I called the dealer they gave me no problem whatsoever. My Gallardo has not been abused, and even on an upgraded clutch I still get that clutch smell. Believe me I know how to abuse a clutch and I have supremely babied the upgraded clutch. I love my Gallardo, but it has been pretty much relegated to garage queen status because of this.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
drronh said:
even on an upgraded clutch I still get that clutch smell.
I assume by 'manual' you mean non e-gear? Clutch smell is the cars way of telling you that you are doing something 'bad'. Engaging 1st and especially reverse over 1400 revs is a common 'mistake'.

What are you doing when you smell clutch? Parking? Going up steep driveways?

-mick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I concur, the same issue with me. I'm trying to drive carefully (my car so far has only 1700 km), but in some situations I smell the clutch too (not always and only a little, but I do). The situations are mostly related to parking and steep up stop/go situations. I have an underground garage in my office and to get in is quite complicated. Although in Carrera it was no problem at all and no clutch smell neither :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well,
Thanks once again. The opinions differ and whilst some of you fault the driver I can assure you that this guy knows what he is doing in terms of driving (he had Porsche 996, Merc SL, Ferrari Modena). It seems though that this is a weak point since the tyres are like brand new. Most of his driving was done on a high gear in the motorways and whilst Malta is not an ideal country to drive a Lambo he only took it out once since he bought it over.

Anyway thansk for you opinions. Wonderful forum with lots of information :wave:

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts