Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch slave cylinder popped again. Anyone else have this trouble? Hadn't driven the car in a while (a couple months). Pressed the clutch in to start the car and it worked fine a couple times, then went completely limp. It happened before so I went around back to look for a puddle. Sure enough, all of the fluid had leaked out onto the garage floor.

I talked to Evan's Auto about it. They said it was super common with the Jalpa. Anyone else have this issue? I don't remember any other owners complaining about the clutch slave.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
My clutch slave cylinder popped again. Anyone else have this trouble? Hadn't driven the car in a while (a couple months). Pressed the clutch in to start the car and it worked fine a couple times, then went completely limp. It happened before so I went around back to look for a puddle. Sure enough, all of the fluid had leaked out onto the garage floor.

I talked to Evan's Auto about it. They said it was super common with the Jalpa. Anyone else have this issue? I don't remember any other owners complaining about the clutch slave.
I have nothing to contribute, except an experience with my Mitsubishi 1992 3000GT.

I replaced my leaking clutch slave cylinder. Filled it with fluid. Bled it. Everything works great. However, when I did the install, I noticed that the clutch peddle can be adjusted.
Maybe you can adjust your clutch pedal such that it doesn’t travel as much. That way it doesn’t create as much pressure???

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Evans Auto works on a ton of the Jalpa cars. They said the clutch slaves go out constantly on the Jalpa and it is a very common problem. They installed my current set-up after I had issues. I assume they adjusted it correctly. Always performed great.

The first time my slave went out, it was a really weird scenario. The piston pushed all of the way out and got jammed outside the housing by the return spring. I sent my car to them and they replaced it with a Lamborghini Diablo clutch slave. They machined it to fit. The volume is higher, which makes the clutch lighter. When I had it done, this was an experimental solution to the frequent issues they saw. Worked great and the pedal was a bit lighter. Trouble free for 10 years.

They theorized that the pistons get corroded when the cars sit for a long time. When the pedal is pressed, the piston binds and the fluid ruptures the seals. It sounded like this was a common problem, but I have never heard of anyone else having the same issue with a vintage Lamborghini.

·
Registered
293 Posts
this is why I change my fluid regularly....2 year period. And during winter I press the clutch from time to time. I would hate to replace my slave cylinder since it is a pain to remove the circlip and can easily fall into the bell house.
btw, regarding winter pause, I think I will start a new topic, would love to hear your little secrets ;-)

·
Registered
293 Posts
regarding the clutch adjustment: I have learnt that first of all it is necessary that the diameter of the master and the slave cylinder is the same, if no,t the amount of fluid that is being pushed does not have enough room to travel and the system will not work properly. too less fluid: the clutch will not be separated enough, if too much fluid: the piston of the slave might get pushed too far...resulting in a leak...very often the master cylinders got replaced in the past with non matching diameters, due to the lack of original spare parts or because of their insane prices, and if that happened this might be the issue.
The manual says that the clutch pedal must have an idle stroke of 10-15mm and if that is not the case you can adjust it with the "special adjusting scew" next to the gear shift rod on the gear box.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good tips!

I let Evans Auto do this job. They work on a ton of Lamborghini V8s and they have a huge shop that does all kinds of exotics as well as more pedestrian brands. The conversion they did was great until this year. I have not been driving the car much lately. I probably would have been fine if I had changed the fluid or driven the car more. Your post reminds me I should get out there and pump those brakes a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts