Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven`t done any beating on my gallardo and my clutch(manual) is worn out already. first time in 23 years that i kill a clutch. I am having a fight with my dealer about replacing it under warranty. Something is wrong if i have to pay for that. There is no way i`ll keep a car that needs a new clutch faster than new tires. What have you guys done about this problem and anyone knows the cost of a clutch and the hours needed to change it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
What is the matter with you guys! All I hear about on this site is clutches going on cars below 10 000 km. I have owed my gallardo for about 2 years now, got almost 20 000 great km behind it and everything still works like it did when new. The only time I visited the dealership throughout those 2 years was to do a regular scheduled maintenance, and to get a close up look of the Mucielago Roadster. So far I have had nothing but great driving out of my g-car with no surprises, which is the opposite of what I am hearing about from most owners!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lambo-Crazy said:
What is the matter with you guys! All I hear about on this site is clutches going on cars below 10 000 km. I have owed my gallardo for about 2 years now, got almost 20 000 great km behind it and everything still works like it did when new. The only time I visited the dealership throughout those 2 years was to do a regular scheduled maintenance, and to get a close up look of the Mucielago Roadster. So far I have had nothing but great driving out of my g-car with no surprises, which is the opposite of what I am hearing about from most owners!
Don`t get me wrong, i love my lambo. Its just that i have never went throught a clutch before and my lambo is not my first high performance car but it sure is the most expensive one i have own and as a customer i expect a royal service from lambo. The car is either under warranty or it is not.
My first set of tires are still good, my brake pads and disc are perfect, the lambo recording computer says that i don`t beat up on the car but my clutch
is worn out. I am not here to complaint but just to make sure other lambo owner know whats going on . The more info we have the better.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
...as a customer i expect a royal service from lambo.
You can tell he's new to this site...read on Pierrh.

The only thing you will get "royal" from the dealer is a royal blue face after arguing with them about your clutch! :argue:

Royal service...

I got this before...but not from a lambo dealer...love you very long time!!! :headbang:

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I must say on my 9000 mile plus Yellow 6 speed ........
**NOT A PROBLEM**********

SAME WITH MY 4000 MILE PLUS bLUE "S" car 6 speed...........

01 Diablo 13K no problems
03 Murcie 11 K 6 speed no problems....... :wave:

·
Registered
194 Posts
i can tottaly relate to you , i got about 8 mos out of a burtoni clutch on my diablo . i do drive the car hard , and love every minute of it . the last clutch i drove really hard , now it looks like i can get a year outta each clutch . and im happy with that . if i drove the car like an old woman , maybe it would last longer . but thats just not gonna happen . i drive my car like it was meant to be driven . it was about 10k miles b4 it went . this car is expensive to fix , but i was ready for that when i 1st bought it . yours went really fast , the rt thing is for the dealership to replace it , but i seriously doubt thats gonna happen . they will call it wear and tear prob. your story doesnt really sound rt , too soon . dont feel bad , when i bought my sv , the dealer said the clutch was replaced not to long ago (he was a referral) and it went with in the 1st week !!!!!!!! between all the service that needed to get done and getting raped by the mech (never went back to him again , autosport in huntington ny ) the bill was 20k . ouch !!!!!!!!! so when you feel like **** , think of my story . anyway good luck !

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Uhhhhhh....Oh Boy...here we go again!! :(

The Early Clutches had problems with wear..Lambo is Well Aware of the Issues...and ALL new Clurches are an update/upgrade...Beat on their ass and you should get at least Comp'd parts!!!

Their are MANY documented stories here of Early Cars Clutch Failures and The Factory Remedies!!! Most were resolved by the Factory with consideration back to the owner!

If you're Dealer really doesn't have a clue, send them here and we'll explain it to them!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wonder how much difference in clutch wear is city vs highway miles. I suspect that e-gear's soft engagement is wearing the clutch more with city / stop & go. 200 miles on the freeway uses almost no clutch. 200 in the city is a lot of engagements.

Alex

·
Registered
68 Posts
RossoRazzo said:
I wonder how much difference in clutch wear is city vs highway miles.
Agreed. No clutch wear on the highway.

In the city, most of the wear is accelerating from a stop. This is true for manual or e-gear.

I have 2 F1 cars and 1 e-gear and it didnt take me too long to learn how they work. But when I sit in car with other drivers, i see them burn the clutch when they take off (sometimes you can smell it too). And they are not trying to accelerate hard, they just don't know how to engage the clutch quickly. If you are soft and slow with the e-gear, you will put a lot of wear on the clutch.

With the e-gear you need to jab the trottle very, very quick and yet very short. The speed you hit the throttle tells the e-gear how fast you want it to engage and the amount of throttle, of course, is obvious.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I've done 24,000km with my e-gear with plenty of city and hills driving (lots of gearchanging) and not much touring. The car is getting its major service next week, so we'll see how the clutch is going wear-wise.

The clutch still feels like it did the day I picked it up.:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
mhh said:
I've done 24,000km with my e-gear with plenty of city and hills driving (lots of gearchanging) and not much touring.
Hi mhh,

A couple of question directed especially to you, regarding your e-gear, since your car has one of the highest usage miles of any Gallardo on this forum. And your's still seems to be going just fine.

1/ basistrdr has made the comment suggesting that since the clutch engagement speed, or amount/time of slip, is dependent on "throttle technique" (and from my expereince with my e-gear I tend to agree), do you do the light-throttle-jab to engage the clutch quickly when pottering around town, or do you just go-with-the-trafficflow, and not bother about this, and do slow and lazy slippery starts?

2/ What percentage of your driving miles are full on blasts! eg full throttle up changes and heavy deceleration engine blipping down changes?

3/ Finally, if item 2/ does not exceed at least 40%, what is your excuse! :D

Cheers

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
bunkhound said:
Hi mhh,

A couple of question directed especially to you, regarding your e-gear, since your car has one of the highest usage miles of any Gallardo on this forum. And your's still seems to be going just fine.

1/ basistrdr has made the comment suggesting that since the clutch engagement speed, or amount/time of slip, is dependent on "throttle technique" (and from my expereince with my e-gear I tend to agree), do you do the light-throttle-jab to engage the clutch quickly when pottering around town, or do you just go-with-the-trafficflow, and not bother about this, and do slow and lazy slippery starts?

2/ What percentage of your driving miles are full on blasts! eg full throttle up changes and heavy deceleration engine blipping down changes?

3/ Finally, if item 2/ does not exceed at least 40%, what is your excuse! :D

Cheers
1. I don't use any particular technique beyond ensuring that I get away quickly and smoothly. My dealer told me not to baby the car from a start, so this lines up with the light throttle jab idea. Essentially, in traffic I drive as you would if you weren't particularly thinking about clutch wear - except I use neutral at most stoplights.

2. I don't thrash the car, but I do plenty of high rev changes on Sunday runs and always use downchanging to slow the car and settle the rear end on winding roads etc. Never done a launch start though.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I also think factory already aware of the clutch problem and the latest production of clutch should have done some improvement. I can't say lot of G-cars have this problem, but I believe there are at least 10% of them have clutch problem. Although there may have some issue related to the driver, I think the main problem is the material of clutch and e-gear software.

BTW, retrofited a new clutch only need a couples day, but waiting for the parts is really long. :sleepy:

·
Registered
173 Posts
chris said:
...I can't say lot of G-cars have this problem, but I believe there are at least 10% of them have clutch problem....
remember the 'vocal majority' factor, if they didn't have a problem most of these guys with issues wouldn't bother posting anything.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Boy $100,000+ and the clutch wont last long. That sucks. I still have stock clutch on my 2000 Camaro SS its dynod 400hp at the wheels. I know it will go soon so thats why the before I install the Supercharger the stage 3 clutch will be put on it.

I would be pissed too if I payed as much as you did and then it goes out before tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Find out which version of the clutch is on your car, if it is an early version prior to the uprated design then it probably is one of the butter clutches. I had the new one fitted at 4500mls under warranty and the replacement has done 5000mls and is 1/5th worn through only. (E-gear). I am sure the clutch is still prone to wear if abused so don't slip it, just get it locked up pronto and keep it there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pierrh said:
I haven`t done any beating on my gallardo and my clutch(manual) is worn out already. first time in 23 years that i kill a clutch. I am having a fight with my dealer about replacing it under warranty. Something is wrong if i have to pay for that. There is no way i`ll keep a car that needs a new clutch faster than new tires. What have you guys done about this problem and anyone knows the cost of a clutch and the hours needed to change it?
My clutch has finally been fixed at no cost to me. Thanks to my dealer.
They still say it was not under warranty because the clutch was abused.
Obviously i do not agree.
The new clutch is supposed to have been upgraded. I guess there is a reason for that. Time will tell .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Latest clutch upgrade

I was told that my Gallardo has been updated to a "C" clutch at about 4800 miles (now have about 6K miles on the car). Anyone know the current latest clutch version - mine is a 6sp.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
1 Posts
join the club with the countach clutch

here im guys facing the same problem with my countach 25th anniv. but lucky you people you have good mechanics to reach them but not me. i live in DUBAI still suffering to find somone to trust him on my car. maybe i will do it my self with a normall mechanic.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.