Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it happened again! about a month ago i had trouble starting my 99 diablo and i thought it was bad gas. Since then there have been 2 more occassions when the car will not start. I let it sit for a couple minutes and i try repeatedly. eventually it fires up and all will be fine.
Since it runs great once it gets started, the only thing i can think of is a partially clogged filter/ obstructed line. maybe the debris gets shaken loose repeatedly. There is no leaking. There is no smell of fuel. It sounds great once it is running. Any other ideas?

For my info, how many fuel filters are there? Aren't they normally changed with routine maintenance?

I am now at 24,500 miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
poss. fuel shut off valves

Its is posss. its the elec. magnetic fuel shut off valves that are causing
the no start, they are controled by the alarm ecu. the valve get a coded
signal from ecu in order to open. If the fuel filters were plugged or even
partial would run bad on top end. Next time you have the prob. try resetting
alarm, have seen alram & valve get out of order and no fuel to the engine.

·
Registered
584 Posts
On those occasions when the car did not start – was it from a “cold start” (in the morning) or a hot start (driving ok – stop somewhere and try to start) ??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
never thought of that. i know that on one occassion i did not mess with the alarm at all and it started after turning the key about 4 times

jeffoc said:
Its is posss. its the elec. magnetic fuel shut off valves that are causing
the no start, they are controled by the alarm ecu. the valve get a coded
signal from ecu in order to open. If the fuel filters were plugged or even
partial would run bad on top end. Next time you have the prob. try resetting
alarm, have seen alram & valve get out of order and no fuel to the engine.

·
Registered
584 Posts
That's what I thought. This happened to me during a hot day and during a long run.

Don't laugh, but check the owners manual .. my car is a 92 and see if your's says the same thing.

For some reason a condition similar to "vapor lock" in a carburated car can happen. Yes, I know you never depress the gas pedal on start up on an injected car....but the manual says if she's hot and does not crank, give it about 1/3 gas on start up.

Worked for me twice....

Of course, could be other issues... but because you say she runs fine and no check engine light, etc this could be the reason, the summer heat.

If she does not fire up on first crank like a normal start, turn key off, give it a little throttle, turn key on (pressurize), crank while holding 1/3.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am at the dealership now and the tech told me nearly the same thing. he also said it was likely vapor lock. he said it is a lot more common in the pre 95 models, but it was likely the case. each time it happened to me it was after at least 2 hours on the road on a hotter day. Each time it seemed to be solved by pooring an additive into the tank (i thought it may have been water in the gas etc). he told me it was solved by simply opening the gas cap to relieve the presure.

I'll still have them run a test on it, but everyone seems to say the same thing

fl_355 said:
That's what I thought. This happened to me during a hot day and during a long run.

Don't laugh, but check the owners manual .. my car is a 92 and see if your's says the same thing.

For some reason a condition similar to "vapor lock" in a carburated car can happen. Yes, I know you never depress the gas pedal on start up on an injected car....but the manual says if she's hot and does not crank, give it about 1/3 gas on start up.

Worked for me twice....

Of course, could be other issues... but because you say she runs fine and no check engine light, etc this could be the reason, the summer heat.

If she does not fire up on first crank like a normal start, turn key off, give it a little throttle, turn key on (pressurize), crank while holding 1/3.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yeah, it's the summer heat and a re-start after a long run can do that.

I guess it could be something with the tank pressure, that "whoosh" you hear with you pop the cap, but I fail to see the connection because the fuel goes via the pressure regulators before entering the engine and they pump around 35psi on a stock lambo... which is way more than tank pressure.

Like I said, only happened twice to me. Not a biggy. If it happens again, give her some fuel and all's well.

If the dealer tells you anything else, please post here.
Best
FL

·
Registered
615 Posts
You should have changed the fuel filter when you had seen signs of it being clugged man. Have a nice day!
Why are you replying to his question after 5 years?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts