Lamborghini Talk banner

ClearPlex or Not...?

16K views 87 replies 20 participants last post by  2Tired 
#1 ·
Recently bought a 2020 Huracan EVO - all wheel drive. Haven't driven much, as I had been waiting to get it 100% wrapped in Xpel and windows tinted, that's finally all done and have been able to put those first few hundred miles on it.

I'm considering putting ClearPlex on the windshield...minimal cost of around $500, no big deal. The question is to do it or not. I am completely OCD about my vehicles (wouldn;t even drive the EVO until fully wrapped to keep paint perfect). I certainly like the idea of windshield protection from rocks and road debris. Have read many negative reviews on less than perfectly clear, once you do get a few minor rock hits it dimples and looks horrible and vision through it gets worse and worse. I understand it may only "last" a couple years and then need replaced, I'm fine with that...just not sure whether to do it or not.

Any real world experience and input is appreciated.

#6 ·
Agreed to a reputable shop -- very fortunate my local shop is award winning Xpel dealer/installer and does tons of this type of stuff --- they have worked on everything from everyday daily drivers to very Limited Edition Lambos, Ford GT's, Bugatti's and on and on.

#8 ·
I put it on the svj to play it safe. Wife and I feel like lights at night look a little crazy thru it..anyone else?

#20 ·
Have Clearplex on my 2021 Evo... dealer installed... no distortion day or night... would never know it was on... when freeway driving I try to stay away from the big rigs, but they are there- some with their wheel splash/rock guards in place and some without... does give me peace of mind to have at least some glass protection...

#11 ·
I just figured if my window gets chipped I will use my window insurance protect on my State Farm policy. I am OCD about my glass, has to be perfect and I would be worried it would have small imperfections is I ClearPlexed it which would drive me nuts.

#19 ·
I have it on my Aston and when I first picked up the car I felt there was an extremely light distortion. It initially bugged me but after a few days I ceased to notice anymore and am glad that I had it installed when they did the full PPF. If it continued to be an issue I could simply have it removed.

A Lamborghini with an even higher windshield rake angle may make the slight distortion more noticeable, but I think you will forget about it knowing you have added protection.

As Lambo2018 mentioned, changing out a windshield on an expensive vehicle capable of speeds ~ 200 mph needs precision and I would like to avoid that if at all possible.

#21 ·
I’m definitely doing this along with the full PPF. I always change windshields on my cars after 2 years because they become too annoying to look at with hundreds of tiny rock chips. Want to avoid doing it on my future Huracán, so I’ll give ClearPlex a try.

#42 ·
I thought about it long and hard, and do think it's prudent to cover the windshield but the specter of distortion was enough to say to myself, it's just a car. I presently have 1200 miles on my EVO and drive like a bat out of hell and no chips yet. Though, my 2021 EVO chipped in a few places after a short period of time.
I guess if you track then I think windshield coverage would be necessary but, alas, I never track.

#57 ·
Consideration of ROI is the reason I moved completely away from full PPF coverage to front end/backs of mirrors, and rockers. I wanted the high impact areas protected but felt covering every inch of the car was overkill. I have had partial coverage on my last 3 Huracans' and I intend to do the same on my incoming STO. Also note I have not had chips in the "unprotected" areas on any of the Huracans' as well.

#63 ·
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Look what the friendly UPS guy dropped off today :). I had to beg, cajole, bribe, and blackmail to get it, and it was from far, far away, lol. I opened it up, and first impression is that is is MUCH more malleable than ClearPlex or that Hanita stuff that I have from previously. It feels more like regular PPF. It is also crazy expensive, compared to ClearPlex!
I am going to wait for a hot day here (summer, and even spring, is taking its sweet time coming in my neck of the woods) to do the install. My little BMW needs its windshield redone, so I might do a side-by-side, and do ClearPlex or Hanita Tech on the BMW, and DYNOflex on the Lambo.
I'll give it a rip, and keep you guys posted!

Reactions: Rcasa20
#64 ·
View attachment 312841

Look what the friendly UPS guy dropped off today :). I had to beg, cajole, bribe, and blackmail to get it, and it was from far, far away, lol. I opened it up, and first impression is that is is MUCH more malleable than ClearPlex or that Hanita stuff that I have from previously. It feels more like regular PPF. I am going to wait for a hot day here (summer, and even spring, is taking its sweet time coming in my neck of the woods).
I'll give it a rip, and keep you guys posted!
Nice. Pricing for the Dynoflex?

#70 ·
So, I finally had a chance to get DYNOflex installed. Short story? It's AWESOME. It feels like PPF, and goes on much like PPF. The forming process is ridiculously easy - granted, the windshields on Huracans are more or less flat, so there weren't many fingers to "iron out", but wow. NO heat gun required, at all - not even close. I just squeegeed to the edge, trimmed the edge with the recommended blade, and....done.
The clarity is MUCH better than ClearPlex - zero haze, and only a very, very slight waviness, in places. The hydrophobic properties are excellent. I was going to apply a ceramic coating on it, but I think the built-in ceramic layer is sufficient.
Downsides? It tears easily. I was moving it around on the slip solution to reduce the fingers, gripped an edge, and it tore about an inch straight towards the centre of the film. I almost sh@t myself, but was able to shift the film over, so the tear was just off of the windshield, and I could trim it off the affected side. It is much softer and more pliable than ClearPlex, which is great for forming, but when you are squeegeeing, you have to have a LOT of slip solution underneath, or you risk pushing up a little crinkle in the film. It feels much softer than ClearPlex, so I don't know if that is a good or bad thing, with regards to longevity? The way I look at it, it doesn't have to last long. It's so easy to apply, I'll just do it once a year, if needed.
Once I had the film on the windshield, it was literally ten minutes - squeegee, trim the edge with a blade, squeegee the edges again, and.... done like dinner.
100% recommend it. I think even if you don't install it yourself, it is a superior product than ClearPlex - time will tell if it lasts as long.
If you are vacillating about having it done, just do it. Once installed, it is very difficult to tell it's there (and I am SUPER anal retentive about even the tiniest of flaws).
Have a great week, everyone.

#71 ·
So, I finally had a chance to get DYNOflex installed. Short story? It's AWESOME. It feels like PPF, and goes on much like PPF. The forming process is ridiculously easy - granted, the windshields on Huracans are more or less flat, so there weren't many fingers to "iron out", but wow. NO heat gun required, at all - not even close. I just squeegeed to the edge, trimmed the edge with the recommended blade, and....done.
The clarity is MUCH better than ClearPlex - zero haze, and only a very, very slight waviness, in places. The hydrophobic properties are excellent. I was going to apply a ceramic coating on it, but I think the built-in ceramic layer is sufficient.
Downsides? It tears easily. I was moving it around on the slip solution to reduce the fingers, gripped an edge, and it tore about an inch straight towards the centre of the film. I almost sh@t myself, but was able to shift the film over, so the tear was just off of the windshield, and I could trim it off the affected side. It is much softer and more pliable than ClearPlex, which is great for forming, but when you are squeegeeing, you have to have a LOT of slip solution underneath, or you risk pushing up a little crinkle in the film. It feels much softer than ClearPlex, so I don't know if that is a good or bad thing, with regards to longevity? The way I look at it, it doesn't have to last long. It's so easy to apply, I'll just do it once a year, if needed.
Once I had the film on the windshield, it was literally ten minutes - squeegee, trim the edge with a blade, squeegee the edges again, and.... done like dinner.
100% recommend it. I think even if you don't install it yourself, it is a superior product than ClearPlex - time will tell if it lasts as long.
If you are vacillating about having it done, just do it. Once installed, it is very difficult to tell it's there (and I am SUPER anal retentive about even the tiniest of flaws).
Have a great week, everyone.
Good review, thanks!

Do you have a hookup for a DIYer to buy this film?

#79 ·
Thank you, Russ - the majority of the credit is down to how easy DYNOflex is to work with. I think of the dozen or so ClearPlex windshields I have done, maybe half were what I would call excellent - the rest had tiny flaws that drove me nutso - edges that wouldn't lay completely flat, tiny air pockets that wouldn't disappear... ugh. I was expecting the first DYNOflex install to be a learning process, likely one that would require redoing, but I was pleasantly surprised!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.