Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic around my engine in my '05 Gallardo is a bit stained - almost like a hard soap/hard water stain on both sides. Any recommendations for cleaning products? Elbow grease not doing the trick. Want that engine bay to pop! Thanks!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I had mine re-dyed in my Pre-LP before. That was the only thing that ended up working. A local shop (Luxe Auto Spa) did it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Read this, this, and this.

Clean.
Degrease.
Dress.
Seal.

The dressings and sealants can be temporary (e.g. 303), semi-permanent (e.g. DLUX), or permanent (e.g. hi-temp paint).

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=407562
https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=379530
https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=221960

Remove hard-water stains (white calcium) with this.

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/carpro-spotless-water-spot-remover?UA-26518971-1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3aP3sIyA4QIVir3tCh1p_QMdEAQYAiABEgJp0fD_BwE

·
Vendor
2,385 Posts
Here you go. $8, and water resistant. Also works great on tires!

It seems I’m not the only one that removes that last rear louvered engine panel?

·
Vendor
2,385 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Good idea on the McGuires Tire Shine, but does it hold up to heat? My engine bay gets hot enough to sear steaks. After heat, does it turn color, go spotty, or start to etch into the paint?

By the way, as I am sitting here typing this response I remember I have used a product called Back to Black on a lot of my rubber parts on the car such as gaskets around the windows. Same principle as tire shine: wipe it on the liberally and evenly and let it sit. It rejuvenates them, cleans and makes the rubber more flexible by moisturizing it. I am curious if that would also work on some of the rubber hoses in the engine bay. I may test a spot and report back.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Just zoomed in on the photo of the product: it says combustible and vapor flammable. If you use this I would imagine that you would let it air out overnight before firing up your engine. Would love to hear your feedback on these questions.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I've had good luck with Adam's Polish products and they make something that will restore faded/discolored black plastic. Worth a look!

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Ok, so this post got me to test a few products today. First photo is passenger side before turning on the car and taking for a ride. So it was cold. Second photo is after running it at temp, entire engine bay having come to usual high temps. No discoloration or issues at all. Note the small test spots were the lower left, seemingly where the small air hose comes out of the fiberglass air intake filter housing, and the other test spot was the bottom portion of the large accordion style air hose immediately left of the screw clamp. There is a clearly visible line— the test spot is the lower part. The lower part looks less shiny due only to camera lighting but in actuality it was much cleaner and brighter. Was totally happy with results and a little embarrassed about not having thought of this before!

Third and fourth photos are before and after photos of another product, the tire shine one I use of course on my tires. Same locations of test spots, but of course driver’s side. Was totally unhappy with this product for this application both before and after heat/driving. Given this very test, I may not use this product on my tires anymore either. I may find a different product for my tires.

My test verdict was very clear that the Back to Black product did wonders and stood up to the test of heat. I liked it so much that the fifth photo is the drivers side. After having cooled down after my drive, I completely covered in the back to black product. The fifth photo shows the shine I received and was very happy with.

Disclaimer: I am not involved in any way in marketing this product or the company (am in real estate, not car biz). I don’t endorse the brand at all other than to pass along these test findings. In fact, this particular product I bought specifically to re-moisturize the seals around my roadster top that are always exposed in the sun. When I bought the car some of these seals were hard almost like beef jerky. For that application this product has worked very well over several applications so I am not surprised it worked well in my engine bay and I will now continue to use it there. However, it is not supposed to be used on painted parts per the instructions on the back of the tube, and additionally I have found that it does not work very well on plastic parts. It absolutely has restored the black color on my rubber parts as well as re-moisturizing the rubber, but does not seem to have any lasting color restoration or moisturizing affect on hard plastic parts.

Thanks for letting me share, and good luck on all your cars! Share some photos of your own tests if you conduct them.

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,385 Posts
Just zoomed in on the photo of the product: it says combustible and vapor flammable. If you use this I would imagine that you would let it air out overnight before firing up your engine. Would love to hear your feedback on these questions.

Yep. Put it on with sponge and left engine bay open. Does the job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts