Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies, I somehow posted this same post to another unrelated thread. Use this one instead. Question: who has gone around their Lambos with touch up paint for minor scratches or road chips? Care to share your experience and advice and if so your recommendation for Chipex or other products.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
All the paint kits do pretty much the same thing. Fill the hole with a raised blob of paint, shave it down flat with paint-remover, and then polish and wax to a shine. But it usually takes several / many attempts to get the ratio of paint and remover correct. Very easy to apply too much or too little and your frunk ends up looking like a child's painting. There is defo an art to getting it right.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In watching these videos they appear to be the same to me: the touch up paint is simple a color match but the surface does not look level and flush with the surrounding paint. It’s almost as if you need to sand that portion of the touch up paint to be flush with the rest of the paint surface or perhaps start with a very small dab of filler first. Sanding to match surface levels is not a job I would like to get into. Does anybody other than a body shop know how this could get done with just touch up paint?

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
In watching these videos they appear to be the same to me: the touch up paint is simple a color match but the surface does not look level and flush with the surrounding paint. It’s almost as if you need to sand that portion of the touch up paint to be flush with the rest of the paint surface or perhaps start with a very small dab of filler first. Sanding to match surface levels is not a job I would like to get into. Does anybody other than a body shop know how this could get done with just touch up paint?
I got a touch up guy or mobile paint guy in to do mine. He gave me a bit of extra touch up paint, but I am hopeless at it.

·
Vendor
2,385 Posts
Cool vids. Wonder how easy it is as a first timer. I don’t have any chips on this car yet but was wondering for my other cars. My local Mercedes dealer has a guy who is amazing that charges $100 per car no matter how many chips he mixes it on the spot into a syringe needle and I swear after he’s done you cannot see the chips

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Cool vids. Wonder how easy it is as a first timer. I don’t have any chips on this car yet but was wondering for my other cars. My local Mercedes dealer has a guy who is amazing that charges $100 per car no matter how many chips he mixes it on the spot into a syringe needle and I swear after he’s done you cannot see the chips
Sounds great. I have one that my guy can’t fix. He says it need the panel sprayed. I don’t want to start spraying panels.

·
Registered
212 Posts
FWIW.
As mentioned above these kits include a paint reducer to level the paint color blob.
Applying/ building the paint level up over days is recommended.
These kits all work to a degree yet practice, practice, practice (ratio/ pressure/ dry time).
May not be perfect, one's perfection level is a big part of these products final result.
But, worth buying and trying.

My top tip is for sanding - Glue a small circle of sand paper to a pencil's eraser tip.

Good luck

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
FWIW.
As mentioned above these kits include a paint reducer to level the paint color blob.
Applying/ building the paint level up over days is recommended.
These kits all work to a degree yet practice, practice, practice (ratio/ pressure/ dry time).
May not be perfect, one's perfection level is a big part of these products final result.
But, worth buying and trying.

My top tip is for sanding - Glue a small circle of sand paper to a pencil's eraser tip.

Good luck
Thanks Kenny.

·
Vendor
2,385 Posts
Any else tried the chipex yet? I may get this and try it out... there are many options out there but this seems good. Maybe if it’s really good I’ll carry it and offer to members on the forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts