Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gah! I don't know when this happened, but today went out for a drive and while looking in my rear view mirror, noticed that I got a chip in my rear window now.

I don't remember any rocks flying past my head or hearing anything. I don't even know if it happened on this drive, but I have some photos I happened to take about 2 months ago, and it wasn't there then, so its definitely new.

I looked all around where the window goes up / down into the body, and don't see anything obvious, so I think it must have been a rock, but I have no idea.

Questions for my fellow community members:
  • Anyone with a Gallardo Spyder ever have this happen?
  • If so, how much did it cost to fix? I have absolutely no idea how hard replacing that rear window is going to be
  • Was it covered under insurance like a front windshield would be?
  • If anyone is parting out a Spyder and has this glass, please consider post a WTB for it. Contact me here

Right now, the window still seals against the top, so I'm probably not going to rush to get this into the shop and get this fixed, but its going to drive me absolutely insane every time I look in the rearview mirror, So going to start searching for this part and planning for eventual repair.

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
97.0 VT Roadster / 08 Gallardo Spyder
1,486 Posts
Has not happened to me but I always wonder about driving around with that window up. Sorry to hear about yours and hope it’s easy/cheap to fix.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Not sure of the replacement cost from lamborghini either. But if that's a flat tempered piece of glass, you can probably have a local glass shop fabricate one for you for not much. It's if it's curved that you might encounter a problem (I can't remember if they are).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a flat piece of glass -- from my searches for trying to find this part though, it appears that the places that break apart Gallardos always sell this as the whole assembly -- IE, the frame, the electric motor and the glass, for about 4K. I'm not sure yet if they do that because its just easier to sell the whole unit (I'm sure) or it may not even be practical to even try to replace just the glass, you're better off replacing the assembly.

Ugh -- I'm going to go by a windshield crack repair place next week, and see if there's anything they can do. Maybe there's some solution they have to even it out with their glass repair epoxies or something.

Not quite ready to spend 4K plus labor for effectively a small blemish.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
It is a flat piece of glass -- from my searches for trying to find this part though, it appears that the places that break apart Gallardos always sell this as the whole assembly -- IE, the frame, the electric motor and the glass, for about 4K. I'm not sure yet if they do that because its just easier to sell the whole unit (I'm sure) or it may not even be practical to even try to replace just the glass, you're better off replacing the assembly.

Ugh -- I'm going to go by a windshield crack repair place next week, and see if there's anything they can do. Maybe there's some solution they have to even it out with their glass repair epoxies or something.

Not quite ready to spend 4K plus labor for effectively a small blemish.
Could you cut the glass down all the way accross below the chip? Then polish the edge? If they could do it on or off the car that would be great.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Could you cut the glass down all the way accross below the chip? Then polish the edge? If they could do it on or off the car that would be great.
Unlike annealed glass, tempered glass cannot be modified after tempering, it will break into many pieces if you try to cut it.

I would start by removing the rear trim and figuring out what all is involved in pulling the glass out. As suggested above you could likely get a new piece of tempered glass custom made for quite cheap (~$100-200) if you can figure out how to pull the glass out, which you'd have to do to be able to trace the glass shape and locate its mounting features.

onedayglass.com will make custom glass pieces based on drawings you send them, very fair prices.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Unlike annealed glass, tempered glass cannot be modified after tempering, it will break into many pieces if you try to cut it.

I would start by removing the rear trim and figuring out what all is involved in pulling the glass out. As suggested above you could likely get a new piece of tempered glass custom made for quite cheap (~$100-200) if you can figure out how to pull the glass out, which you'd have to do to be able to trace the glass shape and locate its mounting features.

onedayglass.com will make custom glass pieces based on drawings you send them, very fair prices.
Good information. Forgot about the tempered issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts