Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday I went to a respected tint shop to have my Diablo tinted.
4 windows - 2 door windows and 2 "baby" windows behind seats.

Turns out that Lambo uses laminated glass in the baby rear windows and the heat gun cracked the glass. Fortunately the tint shop is paying and it's about $1500 to replace the window..dealer only item.

So if anyone wants to tint, make sure the installer does NOT use a heat gun on laminated glass!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've tinted many windows in my time...never heard of a heat gun being used and I've never had tint peel from not using a heat gun...why the heat gun?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's common practice to use a heat gun to get the film to fit contours on curved glass..also allows you to remove air bubbles in areas where you can not reach with squeegy (sp). Yes, will have it done again but no heat gun.

Just a heads up warning to save any fellow board member time/expense/grief.

Interesting that they use laminated glass...shows to me that the big money we pay for these cars is not always visible. Small extra steps they do that costs more to manufacturer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
fl_355 said:
....Turns out that Lambo uses laminated glass in the baby rear windows and the heat gun cracked the glass.....
Sorry to here of your troubles fl_355.

Think there may be more to the story here, that you are not being told - or maybe they simply don't know. I work with glass and have never heard of laminated glass being particularly "sensitive" to heat.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
bunkhound said:
Sorry to here of your troubles fl_355.

Think there may be more to the story here, that you are not being told - or maybe they simply don't know. I work with glass and have never heard of laminated glass being particularly "sensitive" to heat.

I was thinking the same thing!! Windshelds are Laminated (2 pieces of Glass glued together), side glass is "tempered".

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well...she cut the pattern from the outside, then used a heat gun to form it.

Placed the tint on the inside, got in 99% OK, she was trying to finish a corner, while shooting the heat gun from the outside of the window. I was standing there and suddenly there was a puff of white smoke and a "pop".

Mika, the parts guy, at Ultimate in Orlando said it was the laminate. I guess the expansion rate of the plastic is different from that of the glass and caused it to pop.

YellowMurci - have you done the rear of Diablos with I heat gun? Just curious.

Anyway, I'm 10 minutes from Prestige but refuse to do biz with them. So, it's 6am, she's loaded on my trailer and I'm heading out for a nice road trip :)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
fl_355 said:
Well...she cut the pattern from the outside, then used a heat gun to form it.

Placed the tint on the inside, got in 99% OK, she was trying to finish a corner, while shooting the heat gun from the outside of the window. I was standing there and suddenly there was a puff of white smoke and a "pop".

Mika, the parts guy, at Ultimate in Orlando said it was the laminate. I guess the expansion rate of the plastic is different from that of the glass and caused it to pop.

YellowMurci - have you done the rear of Diablos with I heat gun? Just curious.

Anyway, I'm 10 minutes from Prestige but refuse to do biz with them. So, it's 6am, she's loaded on my trailer and I'm heading out for a nice road trip :)
Well that explains that!!! NO HEAT GUNS ON DIABLO WINDOWS!!!!

Thank You Frank!

·
Registered
108 Posts
The differing coefficients of expansion for glass and plastic are probably unrelated. Just the expansion for glass alone is enough to do it. Glass is a relative solid, and if you superheat one section like a heat gun would do, the resulting expansion has nowhere to go because the remainder of the window is not expanding, therefore it explodes.

It is very common in the north (and has even happened to me in my Durango here in SC) that you can break a windshield just by using your defroster. If it's very cold out, you should always turn on the defroster as soon as you turn on the car, so that as the motor heats up (and gives the defroster heat), it does so slowly and heats the windshield slowly. If you wait till your car is warmed up and then turn on the defroster full blast, you can easily break the windshield because the glass is superheated just above the defroster vents while the remainder stays cold.

My guess is that this issue had nothing at all to do with the glass in the car - it was just poor technique on the part of the installer. If you're using a heat gun, it needs to be used evenly across a part. If she was heating just one corner (and worse from the outside in because it should take very little heat to make the tint stretch if it were on the inside) then I'm not at all surprised it broke. I've seen heat guns do far worse to tougher materials than glass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts