Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, does anyone have any tips for someone looking to replace the stock catalytic converters on pre-LP Gallardo?

The only thing that I'm certain of is that I don't want the replacements to throw up codes from the O2 sensors as a result.

I had heard of some replacements that allowed the O2 sensors at the rear to be screwed in slightly less, and so receive less O2 or something and make the ECU think the converters were still there?

Any thoughts on this item?

·
Registered
SL #7007
137 Posts
You should speak with @Jason B . He is a wealth of knowledge on this and did me a solid and pointed me in the right direction. If you go catless, count on throwing a CEL. It may come and go but it will happen. Only way to ensure no CEL is thrown is to get the car tuned. Not sure if you have tuners where you live. @Jason B and I talked and I went the high high flow cat or sports cat option. Still a good HP bump and increase in noise.

Also, if you have never gone catless you should really try to drive a car for a while without cats. My previous GTR I went full catless with a turbo back race exhaust. The fumes were annoying!!! Also, while it wont be as loud as a lambo due to the turbos, it honestly ended up being too loud for me.... Just my two cents.... But make sure you get what you want...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should speak with @Jason B . He is a wealth of knowledge on this and did me a solid and pointed me in the right direction. If you go catless, count on throwing a CEL. It may come and go but it will happen. Only way to ensure no CEL is thrown is to get the car tuned. Not sure if you have tuners where you live. @Jason B and I talked and I went the high high flow cat or sports cat option. Still a good HP bump and increase in noise.

Also, if you have never gone catless you should really try to drive a car for a while without cats. My previous GTR I went full catless with a turbo back race exhaust. The fumes were annoying!!! Also, while it wont be as loud as a lambo due to the turbos, it honestly ended up being too loud for me.... Just my two cents.... But make sure you get what you want...
that’s helpful thanks.

Do you recall which cat option you ended up going with? There seems to be a huge range in prices.

And yeah I’ve been inside a cat delete car before... it was fairly loud as you rightly point out.

a sports cat option is good...
Need to work out which one is decent without spending a fortune. I already have a cat back exhaust on it...

·
Registered
177 Posts
I run the straight pipe on mine and used the LOC exhaust. I've never had the check engine light turn on. Maybe it depends on a number of other things? What I do know is the LOC exhaust a lot of people love the sound of it at high RPM's. I wouldn't know because I never go passed 5.5k. LOL

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've got Soul cat delete pipes with the optional O2 extenders / spacers which I just put on and they help mitigate the code-throwing. The cel will mostly pop up when I'm going over a 'certain speed' :p at high rpms...'normal' driving around with shifts below 6k or so (and as much loud revving in neutral as I want to do) won't illuminate the cel at all.
It emits little fireballs when driving a certain way (or so I'm told by others ;) ). Also loud as hell.

·
Registered
2008 Superleggera
140 Posts
I've got the Fabspeed cat delete pipes with the O2 extenders running through the factory Superleggera exhaust and never had a CEL.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have kline test pipes. Got mine used off of ebay, sold my stock cats and wound up getting paid to change my exhaust. I dont know why everybody recommends Jason. You can buy exhaust systems from like 100 different vendors. He doesnt do anything different than they do. Just pick who has the best price.

No CEL. O2 extenders are all you need. Dont buy the overpriced fabspeed ones. They're generic extenders straight off of Alibaba with their logo slapped on them. I have identical ones that I got for $25 each

·
Registered
SL #7007
137 Posts
that’s helpful thanks.

Do you recall which cat option you ended up going with? There seems to be a huge range in prices.

And yeah I’ve been inside a cat delete car before... it was fairly loud as you rightly point out.

a sports cat option is good...
Need to work out which one is decent without spending a fortune. I already have a cat back exhaust on it...
I went with Larini. They are good cats and cheaper than Fabspeed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've got Soul cat delete pipes with the optional O2 extenders / spacers which I just put on and they help mitigate the code-throwing. The cel will mostly pop up when I'm going over a 'certain speed' :p at high rpms...'normal' driving around with shifts below 6k or so (and as much loud revving in neutral as I want to do) won't illuminate the cel at all.
It emits little fireballs when driving a certain way (or so I'm told by others ;) ). Also loud as hell.
LOL mine does fireballs too and some pops at 3k RPM's I believe that's when the fireballs show up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
LOL mine does fireballs too and some pops at 3k RPM's I believe that's when the fireballs show up.
That's awesome, I also hear the snap-crackle-pops and it's the best sound, usually when I let off the pedal at mid-range rpm's. I also think that's when they emerge. Wish I could actually see it...

·
Vendor
2,621 Posts

Thanks for the plug. Yes, I'm a dealer for many companies (Fabspeed, Soul, Capristo, Kline, etc.) and do have cat delete pipes IN STOCK. Most do not, and fabspeed is 6 weeks out right now. The factory cats on these cars start to degrade and particles can get sucked into the engine and cause major issues. I went with Larini high flow cats as I didn't want fumes, and it still crackles and pops, but no flames, and will still be as loud, and gives more of a "tuned" sound.

Feel free to call/text me at 717-319-2100 and I'll help you guys out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still open to anyone selling Larini cats or equivalent. Not keen for straight pipes, not looking for the fire breathing look from the exhaust if possible!

It seems the vendors here don’t have any in stock.

Keen to hear from individual members about where they got their cats and how much they paid!

cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts