Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the events of the past few days fresh in my mind I feel compelled to post my feelings on careless actions. As everyone knows there was a tragic loss at the Fontana, CA track recently. A friend just called and said the radio news is broadcasting the details of the Washington state police stopping ALL (closed the highway)traffic on I-5 to cite multiple players run drivers for reckless driving at speeds up to 120 mph. I-5 is a very heavily travelled road by both cars and trucks. One Porsche driver was quoted as saying something about being rich and being able to afford the $1000 ticket. Not only will this hurt the image of exotic owners in the eyes of law enforcement it puts at peril innocent civilians going about their daily business. I was nearly killed in a wreck because I was driving carelessly at high speed. Luckily no one else was injured in my "accident" except me. I will be dealing with the results from this accident for the rest of my life. If I had injured someone else I would be carrying that with me too. There is nothing wrong with testing the capabilities of yourself and your vehicle if it is done in a safe and responsible manner but we are each, each others keeper. Just imagine if your carelessness caused the death of a child. Take it to the track and make sure the track is safe. The public roadways are too unpredictable. If anyone reading this has come close to death as a result of their own actions they already know, for those that have not, take my word for it, IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!! NO WAY, NO HOW, NEVER. Take charge, live large, live long. Ok, rant over I feel better. Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Let's be fair here..

Before we jump to conclusions, I agree that we have many 'wacko' drivers that have nice cars.. we still don't know if the crash was from driver error or from the guy that flagged out the Ferrari from the pit, in-front of the Porsche..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Three years ago, in my BMW 540i, I was hit on the right side of the car by a car that had failed to stop at a red light. Thank god no one else was inside that car. It was a complete wreck. You literally could not separate the passenger door from the seat. Thankfully, no one else was involved in the accident and, thanks to seatbelts and airbags, the other driver and I escaped with only minor injuries. Both cars were destroyed beyond repair. Let this, along with Dave's accident and the one at the track be a warning to those who have yet to experience something like this, because the results could be much worse. If I had a passenger in the front seat, he or she would have been crushed. Please, don't let this happen to you! Use your signals and watch the traffic signs!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Swrecruiter,
I hope you are not misunderstanding me. I absolutely was not jumping to any conclusion nor do I even have a conclusion about what happened at Fontana. All I know is two people were killed in a driving accident at a race track. The assumption can be made that the two killed were fully aware of the risks involved with their activity and that they felt qualified to assume those risks. I applaud them for pursuing their passion. If it was driver error then so be it. If it was due to unsafe track conditions then someone somehow did not verify that the track was as safe as it could be. If an uninformed official did wave a Ferrari out of the pits causing an accident then to me that constitutes an unsafe track and it was preventable. BTW I saw Waltrip on American Chopper last night talking about impact absorbing barriers and how much they will reduce injuries. He has first hand knowledge. All tracks should be encouraged to make this change. Maybe as well as sending flowers to the survivors the enthusiast community could band together to lobby tracks for this upgrade. Be careful, have fun.--Dave

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I did not read the thread completely. However, I'll give you a direct in sight to Player's Run incident in WA, when I get a chance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wiz,
I'd appreciate that. There are always two sides to a story. Here in the PNW the news stories were running on TV and radio for at least two days. That's alot of coverage for a traffic citation! Question is why? I had 3 different people tell me I saw your friends on the news. These were people with no car interest. - Dave-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts