Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
AHH? OK I thought these were the original carbon fiber ones on an AV not the plastic ones on a Gallardo!

Yes, these DO FADE on the Gallardo (i.e. the plastic ones) and as recommended above, I painted mine about 4 years ago and they look fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was able to get ahold of a spare set of plain black plastic, aftermarket engine bay panels for my 2005. I literally just coordinated with a local outfit to HydroDip them to a carbon fiber finish. I know I am cheating big time ;).

The company assured me there are no heat issues as they have done actual engine parts. Will hopefully have them back in a couple of weeks and looking good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow that looks awesome
Can you get me details on where to buy them aftermarket?
And also where I can send them to have this done?
Thanks! So far I am really happy with the way the graphic turned out. I did run into a small pit fall and have learned a lesson.

I bought the set of fiberglass engine bay panels from Home - FGP-Stuff.eu.
You should be able to find a few folks in your area that do hydrographics. With a quick local internet search, I was surprised to see the service was fairly common with a few places in my area available. I went with a shop called West Coast Hydrographics. Their website is lame, but they had good Google reviews and a few reviews had pictures. One reviewer included pictures of his Mercedes engine cover.

My mistake was doing a quick layover to eyeball if the new panels would fit/match the existing panels prior to having the graphics done. The new panels appeared to line up. I was wrong. I've now learned that a lot of the aftermarket pieces need to be modified with some trimming or drilling to get things to properly line up. I have an appointment for install in a couple of weeks and am hopeful the shop can do the modifications without ruining the finish. If I had it over again, I would have the install techs work their magic to ensure everything is perfect for installation, then have the graphics applied. Oops!

I had found a set of Chinese carbon fiber panels for $1,800 plus about $200 for shipping, but decided against them. I had read a lot of negative things about Chinese carbon fiber and had some local shop techs also tell me to avoid them. Carbon fiber panels from reputable outfits appears to run close to $3,000 for the set. If I had dug further, that probably could have been cheaper but I don't think more than 10%. My attempt to have the engine bay snazzed up cost me $700 for the panels which included shipping. I got them just as everything shutdown from the pandemic and FGP was willing to work me a "deal". The graphics cost me $600. Will report back with install cost. Fingers crossed FGP's products don't need a ton of rework!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Besides eBay

Where can I get the 4 price carbon fiber engine trim panels from?

Mine are pretty heat faded

Or what other option are you guys buying for back there?
Two options and have tried both with success and looks great and durable.
1. Pull the existing panels, mask off the label if there still in place, wipe down with grease remover/brake cleaner works well too, then basically color sand with 400 grit, clean again really clean. I painted it first with a high heat flat grey as primer and then with high heat matte black, looks like new no issues with temp or fading.
2. Do the same as above however do not paint and use water transfer or some called it hydro transfer the carbon fiber print, if done properly will never visually know the difference and just as durable for the high heat-it must be clear coated to protect from the heat-FYI most tuners cars use dip parts and not real CF it is 1/4 the cost. The only real CF parts I used in my engine bay where they the air boxes -got those off a wrecked G brand new basically same price as dip ones. I would not spend the money on real CF panels for the three firewall pieces, all of my exterior pieces, front/rear diffuser, side skirts and SL wing are real CF, no reason for the fire walls and mine has the clear rear deck lid nobody even other G owners can tell the difference. personal choice use real CF on the outside only

·
Registered
741 Posts
You can restore them without even removing them. Pick up a bottle of Turtle Wax Trim Restorer. After a couple applications with a microfiber they will be good for a few years again.
Very easy process.

You can also use this on your valve cover plastics, and intake manifold that are probably faded as well on the pre-LP.

Reactions: FL_Beachman
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.