Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my new Countach 4 days ago and it ran perfectly. I went to start it today, as usual I turned the key to the "on" position for 5-10 seconds to let the fuel pumps prime. I depressed the petal three times to give the carbs some fuel. When I tried to start it the car would crank and fire but it would then stumble for 10-15 seconds, it would not respond to input from the gas petal and it would eventually stall. It did this about a dozen times before I gave up and let it sit since I'm sure it was flooded (the whole garage stunk of unburnt fuel) by then. I went back after letting it sit for an hour and tried to start it again. This time I did not prime the carbs by depressing the petal. It would crank but not fire at all. I tried to start it about 5-6 times like this but it was the same story everytime. I let it sit for another hour and tried to start it the usual way and again it would crank but not fire.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The last time I got suckered into a "my car won't start" thread after about ten posts it was revealed that the battery was DEAD and that it wouldn't start because it couldn't turn over!!! :rolleyes:

At least you mention the engine turns over... ;)

1-Are You Sure it has Gas?
2-Are you sure the Fuel Pump is Working?
3-have you checked to make sure the floats are not sticking, by removing the Air Box and looking into the carb throats for pouring gas?
4- have you insured you have spark?
5- do you hear rods knocking? (just kidding) :evil:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hi John,

Since you and I have practically identical cars - there could be a little trick to help you out (especially if the car sits in a cold environment).

When I was rebuilding/modifying my house a few years back I parked my car at my mechanics’ shop. During the winter the temperature inside was well below freezing. When I would start the car he would push (slide) forward the choke bars manually - 1 second was enough to get one bank running on all six and the other one would kick in.

Definitely check your battery, even if it turns it is not enough - it needs to turn quick - a battery that is not at least at 75% won't do the job.

Good luck buddy and let us know.

Alex GLA 12988

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I would check and see if the plugs are fouled. Pull one of them and see if there is carbon build up on it. They may need to be cleaned. Does the car run rich?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I will check into your suggestions tomorrow. I really appreciate being able to come on here and get advise from you all. :wave:

·
Registered
52 Posts
john said:
Thanks guys. I will check into your suggestions tomorrow. I really appreciate being able to come on here and get advise from you all. :wave:

John,

I just happened to be cruising around and found your post. You got a bunch of good advice.

I would remove and clean the spark plugs, connect them back on the plug wires but leave the plugs lying on the cam covers and ask you wife, or an other friend, to crank the engine while you make sure all the plugs fire with a nice blue spark. Be carefull. If you flooded it really well, a spray of gasoline might come flying out of the plug holes. Keep your face clear and a fire extinguisher handy. If all the plugs fire as they should, reinstall the plugs with a light dab of anti-seize compound on the threads and screw them back in BY HAND and don't over-tighten them. Don't cross any plug wires either.

If that doesn't get the car started you may need to check the fuel system.

DCNF Webers have accelerator pump diaphragms that are vented to the outside of the carbs and will piss gasoline all over the engine when they rupture. You may want to consider replacing them as insurance against a fire.

I hate to be an ambulance chaser but I should be in Maryland in about a week to drop off a Diablo in Virginia and can stop by if you are still suffering though this.

Wil

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Wil,

Let me know when you are coming through,Imight just take you up on that. I've tried to remove the plugs, but my socket wasn't deep enough to go all the way over the top of the plug. I will buy a deeper socket tomorrow and remove them. If I clean them and they don't spark I will let you know.

John
(cell) 443-386-6560
(home) 410-544-1228

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally pulled the plugs and they were a mess. I ordered a set of Denso plugs, they should be here by Thursday. I just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I'll let you know if the car starts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
john said:
I finally pulled the plugs and they were a mess. I ordered a set of Denso plugs, they should be here by Thursday. I just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I'll let you know if the car starts.

John,

Nothing wrong with an extra set of plugs. Don't throw away the old plugs though. You might be able to clean the old plugs with some spray carb cleaner and compressed air.

Wil

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got the Denso Iridium Plugs gapped and put in the car. It started right up and ran smoother than before. Thanks to the members who posted suggestions. These forum sites are invaluable to it's members.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
john said:
Finally got the Denso Iridium Plugs gapped and put in the car. It started right up and ran smoother than before. Thanks to the members who posted suggestions. These forum sites are invaluable to it's members.
Glad to hear it is back up and running!! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts