Lamborghini Talk banner

Car Won't Go Into Reverse - Thoughts? P0780 shift error

675 13
Alright, so long read but follow me if you can... would love to know thoughts and input on this....

I ordered a set of carbon fiber paddles for my superleggera. I dropped it off at the local mechanic in town that has already installed a set of these paddles on another local superleggera so I was pretty confident in his work. Car also had a CEL on related to a Cat Temp Sensor. No other Codes!!!! I scanned the car in his parking lot before dropping it off. I dropped the car off at the mechanic to knock out the paddles and also narrowed down the CEL to the Thermocoupler box. He calls me while the car is there and says the paddles are not lining up when installing and are not allowing the paddles to properly shift. I said that's fine. Return to stock and I'll return them or go another route....

Go to pick up car, and instantly tell that the shifting is off. You can pull the up shift and sometimes it wont even respond. Sometimes you have to hold it a second or two for it to read.
Take the car out a few days later and still shifting funny.... Car stalls in driveway and wont go into reverse.... Car is now throwing code P0780 (shift error)
I decide I'm replacing with new OEM paddles because I'm scared of it.
Order a new combination e gear cluster and take ONLY the paddles off and replace.
Car shifts as good as new. Seriously the best it has probably shifted.

Car still will not go into reverse and stay there.

I have checked the following....

Clutch at 30%.
New Battery. OK
Brake Lights. OK
E Gear fluid. OK
E Gear Relay. Replaced. OK
Reverse Fuse. OK

You can clearly hear the pump priming and operating. Car will shift thru all other gears. I can get the car into reverse in a very weird way. Stick the key in the ignition, turn it on, press reverse and the pump will work and automatically shift back to neutral. Turn car off and turn car back on and it will be in reverse... Makes absolutely no sense..

I feel it is something electrical and not related to clutch, pump, etc...

Maybe TCU reset? LARA? idk...

Is there anything else you can think of to check? Is there something in the combination switch around the paddles that maybe got damaged or could not be hooked up properly? I have broke it down twice and put everything back together twice as well...
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
I changed my paddles myself to the carbon ones and can say it took me 5 times pulling off the steering wheel/airbag and taking apart the microswitches that the paddles interface with-it is a VERY delicate process and everything must be lined up perfectly. If they are wrong at all you will have problems similar to what you describe.

As a test for you (with the car off) pull on each paddle. You should be able to feel/hear the microswitch on each side clicking. If you do not, or if the feeling is different on one side from the other hen you need to open everything up and line it up again. There is wiggle room for the parts (microswitch itself and the plastic rocker that the paddle pushes) but they need to line up with one another perfectly for it to work. There are also a couple small springs (one that goes at the base of each paddle and one in the plastic rocker) plus a small brass wheel that sits at the end of each paddle that you need to keep track of (and they will go flying around when you open up the microswitch covers). It's a huge PITA but once you get it right shifting will work perfectly.

·
Registered
2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed my paddles myself to the carbon ones and can say it took me 5 times pulling off the steering wheel/airbag and taking apart the microswitches that the paddles interface with-it is a VERY delicate process and everything must be lined up perfectly. If they are wrong at all you will have problems similar to what you describe.

As a test for you (with the car off) pull on each paddle. You should be able to feel/hear the microswitch on each side clicking. If you do not, or if the feeling is different on one side from the other hen you need to open everything up and line it up again. There is wiggle room for the parts (microswitch itself and the plastic rocker that the paddle pushes) but they need to line up with one another perfectly for it to work. There are also a couple small springs (one that goes at the base of each paddle and one in the plastic rocker) plus a small brass wheel that sits at the end of each paddle that you need to keep track of (and they will go flying around when you open up the microswitch covers). It's a huge PITA but once you get it right shifting will work perfectly.
think i should break it down again? @Slammp

·
Registered
599 Posts
Unfortunately, based on my experience, that's really the only choice. When you open it up you will see that the small computer board on the microswitch has a button. That has to line up perfectly with the off white plastic rocker so that when the paddle is pulled the rocker lifts up and presses the switch. Not going to lie-its not an easy task.

·
Registered
2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, based on my experience, that's really the only choice. When you open it up you will see that the small computer board on the microswitch has a button. That has to line up perfectly with the off white plastic rocker so that when the paddle is pulled the rocker lifts up and presses the switch. Not going to lie-its not an easy task.
Just broke it down again, checked my work, double checked, and put back together. Still no reverse.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse because I know the feeling this is giving you but if everything was working fine before the paddles were messed with then its definitely realted to tue paddles. Something is wrong and causing the car to not want to go into reverse-likely one of the mocro switches being tripped.pull it apart and check everything thing very carefully. There is a set of wires leading from each paddle housing. Make sue tjhat the wires are all connected and routes properly. Make sure when the car is off and you pull each paddle you can hear and feel the micro switch clicking.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
21,733 Posts
There’s always something new, good to know for future problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts