Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster, long time reader. I'm looking at finally buying my dream car in the next month or so and can't decide on coupe vs. convertible. I prefer the look of the coupe, but prices for convertibles are much better. Has anyone owned both? What would you recommend for a first time exotic owner?

·
Registered
324 Posts
No doubt. A spyder is the most fun you can have! It has made it tough going to a H because I dont love the way the H spyder looks as much. Comparison pic below. The G has a much more 'cockpit' forward rear-engine look in my opinion.

But the G spyder looks great top or or down and even MORE fun to drive. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,826 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
...awesome pics of spyders!
Well I guess we know your answer! I should update my statment. IN PERSON with the top down the H spyder is awesome looking. Especially walking up to it.

I am still on fence about car with top up...but with that said, with my G spyder I only drove the car with the top down. It has never seen rain, and the only couple times I drove with top up were in early mornings where it might have been a little chilly.

All the cars look awesome!

Who makes that perf style wing on your cars?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have a preLP spyder, but I live on SoCal... which I feel would be a crime if you don't have a convertible. Today it's a sunny, very pleasant 78F.. in Feb. It also amplifies the driving experience being able to hear that preLP engine sound which is intoxicating.

The downside is everyone looks at you. I also sunburn easily, so usually unless it's cloudy, I drive with the top up... when it's a pleasant evening, top down.

Drive both and see which one you prefer. Your heart will tell you. And honestly, the Spyder is like getting 2 cars for one, haha!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a preLP spyder, but I live on SoCal... which I feel would be a crime if you don't have a convertible. Today it's a sunny, very pleasant 78F.. in Feb. It also amplifies the driving experience being able to hear that preLP engine sound which is intoxicating.
I live in the mid-Atlantic, have never owned a convertible but I could see myself liking it. Looking at pre-LP cars as well due to cost and they honestly sound better. I've never driven either.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Some views from both perspectives.

Pre-LP sounds GLORIOUS!

Here is a little vid of letting a friend drive the car who has never driven a lambo. Needless to say he was a little excited ;) He took us up to about 130 top down in the middle of winter. (heated seats though!)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Nice vids. I've always said the preLP has a great ENGINE sound... which you really can't replicate with an "exhaust" on the LPs or even Huracan. Those can have good "exhaust" sounds, but don't make "engine" sounds that are as good.

What's weird is I don't know WHY it should sound better to our ears? I know WHY it sounds better/different from a technical firing order perspective, but when I hear them both blast by me, one after another, eyes closed, the preLP just sounds "better" and sounds "right" and that's something everyone else seems to agree on. Even non-car girls or guys... if you asked them which sounded better, almost always they pick the preLP. However, why don't we gravitate to the LP sound just as easily. Do we have a built-in bias or are referring to something else that makes a similar noise that we enjoy?

Of course, if it's a choice between the fart can Honda Civics of the 90s or a rumbling V8... I don't think anyone would pick the high pitched farting of the civic as sound "better" than a rumbling V8.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It is the sound of the even firing V10.

The pre-lp 5.0L motor has a "split pin" crank which allows for the 72 deg geometry.

The carrera gt and Lexus LFA achieve it though block geometry. The carrera GT (and lexus) would arguably be the best sounding NA engine.

@Jason B has a vid where he compares the Pre-LP and the Carrera.

·
Registered
17' SV Roadster, Performante Spyder, 458 Spyder
259 Posts
I totally agree the convertible is the way to go. The whole point is the experience of the drives. This enables you to REALLY hear, feel and experience the car in a way no coupe can.

·
Registered
761 Posts
It is the sound of the even firing V10.

The pre-lp 5.0L motor has a "split pin" crank which allows for the 72 deg geometry.

The carrera gt and Lexus LFA achieve it though block geometry. The carrera GT (and lexus) would arguably be the best sounding NA engine.

@Jason B has a vid where he compares the Pre-LP and the Carrera.
Right, no I perfectly understand the technicality of it... I just don't get "why" it sounds better to us. Why doesn't the odd firing LP qualitatively sound better. For that matter... why does an inline 6 sound so much better than V6?

·
Registered
768 Posts
First time poster, long time reader. I'm looking at finally buying my dream car in the next month or so and can't decide on coupe vs. convertible. I prefer the look of the coupe, but prices for convertibles are much better. Has anyone owned both? What would you recommend for a first time exotic owner?
The only con to a convertible....
... at stop lights, You have to be prepared for random people to reach in and give you a hand shake. Also, bystanders will feel obligated to talk to you, some of them will even ask you if the car is a rental!!!!

ps
I’ve never had those events happen to me, but members of this site can vouch for me!

·
Registered
88 Posts
One thing no one mentioned (unless i missed it) is legroom. I have the spyder and I am tall and its a bit cramped. If you are over 6'2" I'm pretty sure you will want a coupe.

·
Registered
17' SV Roadster, Performante Spyder, 458 Spyder
259 Posts
This above is true. The spider is best reserved for those under 5'10"-5'11".

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I love my Spyder. I pretty much never drive the car unless I can put the top down. In fact I have gone entire summers and not put the top up once until I put it away for the winter. The coupe look awesome too. Totally personal preference. My vote would be topless.

·
Registered
2021 Huracan Evo RWD Spyder (ordered, April 2021 delivery)
352 Posts
Right, no I perfectly understand the technicality of it... I just don't get "why" it sounds better to us. Why doesn't the odd firing LP qualitatively sound better. For that matter... why does an inline 6 sound so much better than V6?
A 72 degree V10 and a straight six have primary and secondary balance inherently. When running they produce higher order harmonics that our brains find pleasing. Ever notice that when an orchestra is warming up, once everyone is in tune you can hear frequencies higher than what anyone is playing? And that this sounds “fuller” and somehow more satisfying? Same concept...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I personally prefer the styling of the coupe over the spyder and I think most people seem to as well reflected by the difference in pricing between the 2 models currently. The clear engine bonnet was also a must for me. I think it also depends on where you live. I live in an area that experiences all 4 seasons so I would only be able to let the top down a good 5 or so months out the year. Buying a convertible to be only able to use it half of the year made it a non option for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 66 Posts