Lamborghini Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lookin to buy my first Lambo and I'm looking at a 2012 - 2014 Gallardo. I'm sold on the looks and sound of it but nervous about the problems I keep hearing about. Mainly the clutch.
I'm also considering a Mclaren 570 S and Porsche GT3. I currently have a 2019 Porsche 911 Carrera T with some work done to it.
I like all three and have about 140K to spend.
Please help me decide. Would love to hear some comparisons.
Also, besides the performance and sound I'd like the car to be some what comfortable.
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think the gallardo is the best choice
It has everything going for it , the name , looks, reliability.
The clutch issue was in the pre - lp , particularly the early ones 2004 / 5 ish , improved in the latter pre - lp s 07/08
I am not just talking, own one , needs to be handled with tlc, but engine is bullet proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD Spyder Verde Themis
16,195 Posts
The clutch issues were primarily with pre LP Gallardos. 2009 and up had few if any clutch problems. I owned 2 Gallardos and found them both to be quite comfortable. Comparisons will have to come from others that have experience with the 570 & GT3. Your budget is fine in fact getting close to Huracan territory.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm lookin to buy my first Lambo and I'm looking at a 2012 - 2014 Gallardo. I'm sold on the looks and sound of it but nervous about the problems I keep hearing about. Mainly the clutch.
I'm also considering a Mclaren 570 S and Porsche GT3. I currently have a 2019 Porsche 911 Carrera T with some work done to it.
I like all three and have about 140K to spend.
Please help me decide. Would love to hear some comparisons.
Also, besides the performance and sound I'd like the car to be some what comfortable.
Thanks for your help!
Personally I think the Mclaren 570s is the best car out of the three for performance and comfort. The GT3 is a great car, but it's still a Porsche and doesn't have the exotic factor that the Mclaren carries. 570s prices have come down quite a bit and I would try to get a 2017+ model if you can (2016 was the first year).

·
Registered
51 Posts
The clutch issues were primarily with pre LP Gallardos. 2009 and up had few if any clutch problems. I owned 2 Gallardos and found them both to be quite comfortable. Comparisons will have to come from others that have experience with the 570 & GT3. Your budget is fine in fact getting close to Huracan territory.
Huracan prices are still around 180k for a decent example. OP's budget is 140k. The cheapest one listed on Autotrader is 165k but it's got 40k miles on it...

·
Registered
83 Posts
With a budget of 140k you could get the better sounding 5.0, put it in a brand clutch, and still be under $100k.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally I think the Mclaren 570s is the best car out of the three for performance and comfort. The GT3 is a great car, but it's still a Porsche and doesn't have the exotic factor that the Mclaren carries. 570s prices have come down quite a bit and I would try to get a 2017+ model if you can (2016 was the first year).
With a budget of 140k you could get the better sounding 5.0, put it in a brand clutch, and still be under $100k.
I like the newer body style and a little more updated interior. Also, need to have the front lift for my driveway.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I like the newer body style and a little more updated interior. Also, need to have the front lift for my driveway.
So many of them have bumper swaps on then, the front bumper isn't very difficult. Also, most of them have front lifts on them. Mine does.

·
Registered
288 Posts
140-ish should buy you a very nice LP gallardo.

One thing that helped me in searching www.autotempest.com

Put in your specs as lamborghini gallardo 2009 and newer and you can pretty much search every outlet. On the right are pop outs to auto trader, car gurus, and FB. Even will pull all the craigslist ads.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
140-ish should buy you a very nice LP gallardo.

One thing that helped me in searching www.autotempest.com

Put in your specs as lamborghini gallardo 2009 and newer and you can pretty much search every outlet. On the right are pop outs to auto trader, car gurus, and FB. Even will pull all the craigslist ads.

Good luck!
Great info, thanks!

·
Registered
2011 LP560-4 Spyder / Blu Fontus
140 Posts
I sold my 2006 997C2S manual in December (after owning it 10 years) and bought my 2011 LP560 Spyder a month later. Yes, much older Porsche than you have so not sure how relevant but........bored, time to upgrade. I did the whole Mclaren vs. Ferrari vs. Lambo dilemma. My decision = LP Gallardo (and this car IS amazing). WHY, here's the list in a nutshell --- Lambo because 2nd Gen addressed and supposedly fixed most of the issues with the 1st Generation. Pre-LP owners will always argue that they (04-08) sound better because that's the only thing they can argue. If you don't know the difference you probably wouldn't unless somebody brought it up. Plus, now it's an Audi... Geez didn't I just drive an 'Audi' (VW/Porsche) product for 10 years? I'm a motorhead, I can work on this thing.......
NO to Mclaren because I CAN'T work on it, so electronically involved it would cost a fortune and the nearest Dealer to me is over 60 miles away. NO to Ferrari because equivalent priced units just lack the horsepower and the Brutality that this thing has... That's a personal opinion which can vary to each individual but the F360 and even the 430 looks a bit soft in my personal taste in comparison with the G. The Lambo just looks badass

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sold my 2006 997C2S manual in December (after owning it 10 years) and bought my 2011 LP560 Spyder a month later. Yes, much older Porsche than you have so not sure how relevant but........bored, time to upgrade. I did the whole Mclaren vs. Ferrari vs. Lambo dilemma. My decision = LP Gallardo (and this car IS amazing). WHY, here's the list in a nutshell --- Lambo because 2nd Gen addressed and supposedly fixed most of the issues with the 1st Generation. Pre-LP owners will always argue that they (04-08) sound better because that's the only thing they can argue. If you don't know the difference you probably wouldn't unless somebody brought it up. Plus, now it's an Audi... Geez didn't I just drive an 'Audi' (VW/Porsche) product for 10 years? I'm a motorhead, I can work on this thing.......
NO to Mclaren because I CAN'T work on it, so electronically involved it would cost a fortune and the nearest Dealer to me is over 60 miles away. NO to Ferrari because equivalent priced units just lack the horsepower and the Brutality that this thing has... That's a personal opinion which can vary to each individual but the F360 and even the 430 looks a bit soft in my personal taste in comparison with the G. The Lambo just looks badass
My Porsche is also manual. How's the shifting in the Gallardo? And I agree with you about the Ferrari, just not aggressive enough for me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My Porsche is also manual. How's the shifting in the Gallardo? And I agree with you about the Ferrari, just not aggressive enough for me.
Honestly I've only driven it once so far and never had it on a highway. I can tell right away it's not as fast a shift as my 2011 X6M, but that's an electronically shifted Automatic, so may not be fair to compare..... in any case I just got one of those 'Sprint Boosters' you'll see discussions about, but waiting for some warmer weather to come back to install it. I'm a manual guy too, but it was frustrating trying to find (Nice, reasonable$) one so I gave up. I take comfort in the fact that I still have an old school supercharged Mustang stick shift in the Garage when I feel the need..... I like the fact that out of the 3 toys here I think the bases are covered with a Supercharged V8, Twin-Turbo V8, and now a normally aspirated V10 ! I did love the 911 color combo, so that was definitely an influence, but NEEDED a convertible for some reason. The 911's just look completely better in the coupe form, must be the back 'seat' making them look so open in ragtop form?

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Geez, just noticed the 911 picture was with my Camera and the one of the LP is from my phone...... not nearly up to the quality of the camera and doesn't do it justice:(

·
Registered
288 Posts
Spring booster will not help it shift faster. It will generally allow more positive clutch engagement.

The Pre-Lp vs LP share same trans. The e-gear was updated with the LP to the same used on R8.

The big issue with Pre-lp clutches are 04-05. The trans had very tall gears. In 06 on the trans 1st 2 gears are lower ratio and that does quite a bit to help with clutches.

If you drive the car properly, you wont have clutch issues. Always drive in sport and dont use "Auto" mode. Dont reverse long distances. (the clutch never permanently engages in reverse so you are burning on it the whole time.) R8 has same issue.

Hard shifts are good. Aggressive engagement is better than slipping the clutch over a long smooth transfer. Dont ever use clutch to hold the car on a hill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Honestly I've only driven it once so far and never had it on a highway. I can tell right away it's not as fast a shift as my 2011 X6M, but that's an electronically shifted Automatic, so may not be fair to compare..... in any case I just got one of those 'Sprint Boosters' you'll see discussions about, but waiting for some warmer weather to come back to install it. I'm a manual guy too, but it was frustrating trying to find (Nice, reasonable$) one so I gave up. I take comfort in the fact that I still have an old school supercharged Mustang stick shift in the Garage when I feel the need..... I like the fact that out of the 3 toys here I think the bases are covered with a Supercharged V8, Twin-Turbo V8, and now a normally aspirated V10 ! I did love the 911 color combo, so that was definitely an influence, but NEEDED a convertible for some reason. The 911's just look completely better in the coupe form, must be the back 'seat' making them look so open in ragtop form?
I like the wheels on the Gallardo!

·
Premium Member
2021 Huracan EVO RWD
4,660 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
WOW that 911 looked super sexy brother. I would've had a hard time selling that. That G needs to get height adjusted like ASAP brother. :D the wheels are sexy as well.

To the O.P. I wouldn't select the Mclaren for the same reason's FontusBlug mentioned. Ferrari same reason on top of that let's say you work on your own car. You can't go to another dealer for a cross reference in parts that are being used. Unlike the G you can use VW parts, Audi parts... etc. If you do a quick search you'll see what I'm referring to in regards to our G's master cylinder needing replacement. I used a VW part to replace it and saved on the lambo tax.

Reactions: FontusBluG
1 - 20 of 34 Posts