Lamborghini Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little bit about myself: Long-time dreamer, soon-to-be achiever.
I'm sure you all know the excitement that I feel, coming up on buying my dream car, so I'll save you guys the reading of my very long emotional explanation of my excitement.

I'm pretty young, 22. I've been trading the stock market for about 6 years now and have made a decent amount of cash for myself. I never believed in just spending all your money on something you want, so I've had to save up quite a bit before I could allow myself to even consider buying this car.

The time has finally come and I will be buying the car cash.
(Buying cash because I believe thats the only way I can actually get a "DEAL" on a Gallardo)

I'm here basically asking what do I need to know?
I own a couple Porsches (Boxster & 911) and I know that there are specific things to look out for in every car. For example when buying the 911 I knew to check for the IMS history, boar scoring and rev testing and things like that as the 911 had those common problems in its years.

Are there any known characteristics that these 2004-2008 Lamborghini's have? Or any particular year that has a particular problem? Ex: I knew when buying my 911 to get it newer than 07 because older than 07 was known for IMS issues.

What are some things I need to look out for with Gallardos? I know clutch is one main thing. Aside from that what else do I need to consider?

Also what advice can someone offer me with respect to buying the car?

I'm buying it cash because I want to get the best deal possible so I'm almost certain that wont happen buying it from a dealer but I'm open to the idea as there might be some extreme circumstances. EXAMPLE: A Lamborghini dealership accepts trade-ins but will only allow cars up to 10 years old on their fleet. ( 2007 and newer. ) Meaning if they get an 06 trade in, they would have to find another mean of selling it. (This is just an idea that I have, I'm not sure if this is even a true thing or if they care how old the car is, I just noticed a pattern that most used car fleets at the Lamborghini dealers dont go older than 10 years old) So maybe I should get in contact with a local dealer and let them know that I'm in the market for one, and that they should call me should they get one that they cant put on their fleet.
Is this a good idea?

The main idea here I have is to just buy it private party cash on craigslist.
Also the idea of just getting a wholesale dealer license and buying myself one from an auction such as manheim.
I would just like some more insight from the professionals and experts here.

Thank you to those of who you read my entire post,
I'm very excited for this endeavor

·
Registered
124 Posts
The biggest thing personally is to decide if you want 04-05 or 06-08, and if you want egear or manual.

04-05 to 06 had the most significant updates and options among the model years which included gearing for gears 1 and 2 and slightly more power.

Second thing is to decide what options and colors matter to you. Front lift? Glass bonnet? Rearview camera? Some colors also have better resale because of supply and demand. Green and orange are pretty safe bets. You might notice a lot of black, yellow, silver cars that sit on the market.

Personally I opted for an 06 for the available upgrades/options compared to 04-05 and made sure I had a 6 speed manual for personal preference.

This guide was really helpful when I was in the market Lamborghini Gallardo Review & Buyers Guide

Can't go wrong with any year really but it depends on your budget. These cars are pretty bullet proof.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, Thanks LP560.

That was a wealth of information and I'll definitely be taking a look a that guide.
I know I definitely would prefer the manual transmission but I wouldn't be opposed to an E-Gear if everything else lined up with the car and if the price was right.

I noticed that its fairly hard to find a Manual Transmission on these cars. Is this a common thing or is it just a coincidence that all the ones in my area are E-Gear?

·
Super Moderator
3,496 Posts
The time has finally come and I will be buying the car cash.
(Buying cash because I believe thats the only way I can actually get a "DEAL" on a Gallardo)
This is not true. How you pay is irrelevant. Your negotiation skills, the sellers need to sell, and the rarity of the example will gauge the price far before "cash or credit."

What are some things I need to look out for with Gallardos? I know clutch is one main thing. Aside from that what else do I need to consider?
Owner history, Maintenance history, Condition.

Also what advice can someone offer me with respect to buying the car?
Don't rush.

I'm buying it cash because I want to get the best deal possible so I'm almost certain that wont happen buying it from a dealer but I'm open to the idea as there might be some extreme circumstances. EXAMPLE: A Lamborghini dealership accepts trade-ins but will only allow cars up to 10 years old on their fleet. ( 2007 and newer. ) Meaning if they get an 06 trade in, they would have to find another mean of selling it. (This is just an idea that I have, I'm not sure if this is even a true thing or if they care how old the car is, I just noticed a pattern that most used car fleets at the Lamborghini dealers dont go older than 10 years old) So maybe I should get in contact with a local dealer and let them know that I'm in the market for one, and that they should call me should they get one that they cant put on their fleet.
Is this a good idea?
This is also not true. There isn't a Lamborghini dealer out there that won't sell an 04 because it's too old. They sell cars that are 20 years old...They don't turn away Diablo, Countach, or even Jalpa because of age. Cars go to auction for a couple reasons, because they are not *nice* enough to be on the floor, or they have accident history on the car fax and that's a near impossible car to sell.

The main idea here I have is to just buy it private party cash on craigslist.
Also the idea of just getting a wholesale dealer license and buying myself one from an auction such as manheim.
I would just like some more insight from the professionals and experts here.
CL IMO isn't the best place to buy, but not a bad place to look. Some of the people do post them on there. I didn't, for exmaple.
Getting a wholesale license isn't the easiest, and to get one *just* to buy 1 gallardo seems like a waste. Plus, you want a car run through auction as your first Gallardo?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Agree with Jr. Mint 100%. I just bought my first Gallardo paying cash, but don't believe that it had much impact on the final price. As a matter of fact, I think the dealer would prefer a buyer finance as they can make some dollars through the transaction.

Don't rush is also very good advice. Many have advised through this board that buying a cheap car and be the most expensive mistake you make. I decided early in my search to do business with Lambo Dallas as they have a stellar reputation for having excellent cars and customer service.

Whatever you do, get a solid PPI (pre-purchase inspection). Well worth the few $$'s.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Lots of good advice.

But most of all buy the car not the price. Many have chosen the cheaper car and have had lots of maintenance issues that increased over all costs over the higher priced option.

2008 Bianco Monocercous Superleggera #888

·
Registered
94 Posts
Being another younger owner: take your time, have fun, and enjoy the hunt. The thrill is in the chase! Take the time to figure out exactly which options you prefer, and don't settle on anything less. Fortunately, there are enough Gallardo's in circulation that should enable you to be picky on some details. For me, that was the 6-speed manual transmission and glass engine bonnet. I didn't settle until I found the right car, and when I did, I negotiated a fair price and scooped it up. Find what you want and buy it.

I will say, however, one thing I see on here FAR too rarely... do what I did, and DRIVE it back. The distribution of these cars is largely on the coastal states, and if you are lucky enough to buy it local, that's great... but if you find one that is thousands of miles away, plan an epic road trip and drive her home! I took two weeks visiting some of the best spots in the country with some of my best friends and family in mine, and looking back, the trip was just as good as the buying experience! Being able to share a car like this with everyone is a huge part of ownership, so do it right!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow. Thanks to everyone that has replied; this is a great wealth of information. I'm impressed by the amount of people that actually care to comment and help.

@JRMINT
I understand what you're saying. I think I was more so referring to the idea of being able to buy one from a person for cheaper than I could finance one at a dealer. Since dealers want you financing their cars and whatnot, I figure private party wouldn't want to deal with any financing or any of that non sense. But you're absolutely right in what you're saying, these cares are a different market than most and I need to treat them as such.

I'll definitely be sure to keep an eye out for and request maintenance records.

I also did consider the idea of "Do I really want one that was run through an auction?" But I came to conclusion that I might be willing to run through a few of them before I settle on one, if that makes sense. (Not run through them in terms of destroy them.. but I mean I'm willing to buy one and sell it if I don't like it or don't like the transmission or what ever reason.
- Then I came to the other conclusion that these cars aren't as easy to sell and it's not like I can get it off my hands within a couple weeks.
Really its a bunch of back-and forth with myself but at the end of the day, thats why I'm here to get the expertise of the professionals!

Since we're on the topic of Auctions and CL and such, what would you prefer being the best route to buy one if I didn't want to give a priority to the idea of getting one from a dealer?

@KCVIPER Thanks for the link!
10 months, that must have been killer!
I spent a solid 4 months looking for my 911 and I thought that was bad.
I do too believe that dealers would rather you Finance the cars. I think my issue is that I don't want to buy the car from a dealer because I know I could probably get a better deal else where / have my negotiation skills more successful elsewhere. I figure I would have to buy it cash if I wanted to go private party because not many people would want to deal with the whole financing deal. Maybe I have some crazy wrong belief that its IMPOSSIBLE to get a "GOOD DEAL" from a dealer.

I definitely will be doing the PPI regardless of what route I take, so thank you for that.

You mentioned, "Many have advised through this board that buying a cheap car and be the most expensive mistake you make." I like this idea and it definitely brings some perspective to my eyes. Sometimes it might be worth spending that extra few thousand now to save it from happening worse in the future.

@HYM3N
I think the number 1 think I'll need to work on is the part about not rushing this. I definitely wanted the 6 speed manual but the lack of them started to just push me to "settling" for E-Gear. I definitely need to re-evaluate what I want and just focus on that. The idea of driving it back might not be a bad idea either! Depending on where exactly it is, I just might do that!

I appreciate everyones comment in regards to taking time and not rushing it.
Thats one thing that I'll definitely need to keep reminding myself of.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would call an insurance broker FIRST. You need to get a quote, or to determine if they will even write a policy below 25. Be prepared to be shocked. They will need a VIN, so just grab one off of E Bay for a certain year or two for comparison.

Remember most of these policies are limited use. Perhaps post your results on the quotes.

·
Super Moderator
3,496 Posts
Wow. Thanks to everyone that has replied; this is a great wealth of information. I'm impressed by the amount of people that actually care to comment and help.

@JRMINT
I understand what you're saying. I think I was more so referring to the idea of being able to buy one from a person for cheaper than I could finance one at a dealer. Since dealers want you financing their cars and whatnot, I figure private party wouldn't want to deal with any financing or any of that non sense. But you're absolutely right in what you're saying, these cares are a different market than most and I need to treat them as such.

I'll definitely be sure to keep an eye out for and request maintenance records.

I also did consider the idea of "Do I really want one that was run through an auction?" But I came to conclusion that I might be willing to run through a few of them before I settle on one, if that makes sense. (Not run through them in terms of destroy them.. but I mean I'm willing to buy one and sell it if I don't like it or don't like the transmission or what ever reason.
- Then I came to the other conclusion that these cars aren't as easy to sell and it's not like I can get it off my hands within a couple weeks.
Really its a bunch of back-and forth with myself but at the end of the day, thats why I'm here to get the expertise of the professionals!

Since we're on the topic of Auctions and CL and such, what would you prefer being the best route to buy one if I didn't want to give a priority to the idea of getting one from a dealer?
To touch on your dealer vs private party comment, I recently sold my Lamborghini private, and I'll tell you it did not matter to me how the buyer paid for it. At the end of the day, whether he's getting financing and getting me a check, or wiring me directly, i'm getting paid. It really plays no role in the negotiating process at all.

You are right on the cars take time to sell. Of course, anything priced right moves quickly. With that being said, an auction car which will certainly have little to no maintenance history, likely an issue with car fax, and who knows what else, is really not the best example to buy, especially for resale.

Your best bet is to buy from a reputable dealer, I suggest both Lambo Newport Beach and Lambo Dallas, or from someone on this forum or a private party with sense. Always remember, you're buying the seller, not just his car. The buyer of my car didn't even get it inspected, he was that comfortable with me as a seller after multiple long conversations. We also still talk about the car and he texts me with questions all the time. This is an ideal circumstance, and you can easily find it(especially from this board.) This comes at a premium, so as long as you aren't a price shopper, you will find a nice example, even though you'll likely pay a bit more than if you just buy one from ebay or CL.

I'll leave you with this; It's better to pay more up front knowingly, than have to pay more later forcefully and painfully due to repairs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts